PDA

View Full Version : Engine finally threw a code

pos88lx
06-30-2015, 11:05 AM
I thought there was a problem with my check engine light until yesterday, my car was just running so good it seemed impossible lol. But yesterday i started it up and there was no initial high idle speed like it normally had, then i rev it up a little and it drops suddenly to like 200 rpm (barely running). CEL came on and i drove it around s bit but it wasn't idling right so i parked it. So i am going to retrieve the code(s) , from that thing under my driver seat it sounds like? I didn't see it flash anything yet but i may have been doing it wrong. Retry later, but if that ecu is bad is there another way to get the codes to display? I used to have a car that would flash the codes using the check engine light itself, is there a way too get the 88 accord lxi to do that?

pos88lx
06-30-2015, 02:48 PM
OK it flashed for me. 14 short flashes repeatedly, which i think is code 14? Which is something called the iac (idle air control). I will be researching this tonight but feel free to jump in with any type of knowledge on this device and it's location and function and a any other info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time ;)

pos88lx
07-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Update: I located and removed the idle air control valve, not too hard, located right there on the front of the air intake manifold. Amazingly both of the parts store that check actually have the park but the price ranged from 150 to 188. Amazingly both of the part stores I check actually have the part but the price ranged from 150 to 188. It looked like a simple enough part so I decided to take it apart and clean it. I just used some carb cleaner and blew it out with my compressor, put it back together and BAM! Started up in the correct idle speed, so i disconnected the battery and cleared the ecu , started it up again and no check engine code. Really easy, and totally free fix. If you are having idle problems i definitely recommend trying to clean this part rather than replacing it right away .

Dr_Snooz
07-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Good work sleuthing out the problem and props finding a cheaper way to do it. Glad your car is running well again.

lxidavid
07-05-2015, 03:48 PM
I wish I would have known this, I was dumb enough to go buy a new one....ARRGGGH!

MessyHonda
07-12-2015, 09:39 AM
when i took my old engine out mine was rusted out. looks like people were just running water instead of coolant. i used carb cleaner too and hooked it up right. they bypassed it with a hose. now you car will have better MPGs and no more CEL