PDA

View Full Version : stutters at 140km/h

3rd GEN
01-07-2003, 09:46 AM
ok.. here's my problem..
i am not sure if it's a fuel problem, such as a plugged fuel filter, fuel pump or somethin with my fuel feed..
it's fine when i drive around...but when i'm on the highway, and i'm kickin it...like once i'm in 4th, and i step on it...it goes well, but once i hit about 14okm/h.. it's starts to stutter and choke...like it's not gettin enuf gas or somethin...
and it only seems to do this once i am in 4th or 5th gears..
if i kick it in 3rduptill 140km then put it in 4th.. it starts to do the same at about 150km/h...but it won't do it when it's in 3rd.. only in 4th and 5th gears...
this has gone on for awhile now...and i'm not sure what it is.

any ideas??

Mike's89AccordLX
01-07-2003, 10:53 AM
I would change both fuel filters and buy a Weber 32/36 (if you want power)

ACCORD EX
01-07-2003, 11:40 AM
tune up ??? what did you change in the engine already ?

MIKE

mindlos
01-07-2003, 12:21 PM
maybe you are running out of gas in the float bowl because the float is set too low and you are at the high consumption range at that speed. Even if not empty the fuel gets so low that the jets get exposed to air thus stuttering coz they momentarily such air instead of gas. It should be more apparent at high rpms and driving, rather than during short reving at standstill.

SiR
01-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Or it might be those damn vaccum leaks!!!

3rd GEN
01-08-2003, 01:24 AM
ya.. as far as engine goes...it's all stock except NGK wires and plugs..
ya.. it stutters, like it jolts..but once i start to get close to that 140 range...i can feel it..like it doesn't want to go faster.. feeling like there is something behind me pulling my car..
then if i push it more...thats when it jolts and stutters..
I thought at first maybe it's my tranny going...
but then i thought..no..its not the tranny.. cuz then it woud do that all the time..

thats when i thought..ok
it's either the fuel filters, fuel pump, maybe my spark plugs..mmmm
where is the second fuel pump??
i know of the one up in the rear wheel well by the gas tank..but where is the other one??
could some one post a pic if they got one
thanks

ACCORD EX
01-08-2003, 04:33 AM
does it sound like it misses and doesn't want to go further , or as it will cut off fuel ??

MIKE

greekguy7
01-08-2003, 05:21 AM
First, make sure your plugs, wires, cap, rotor and filters are all new or recent!!

If so, then try using a better quality gasoline. Mine was doing this a few years back. I changed a few tune-up related parts and still the problem was the same.

A mechanic suggested I try another brand of gas. Some gasoline companies put more than 10% ethanol in their gasoline, especially during the winter. I switched brands, and the problem went right away.

3rd GEN
01-08-2003, 09:25 AM
i had my plugs checked and they were ok..the cap and rotor were changed about a year ago..
i already use the highest grade of gasoline...

once i got some bad gas..and i thought maybe that was the same problem..but this has continued now for the last few months.. so i don't think it's bad gas..

mindlos
01-08-2003, 11:58 AM
where is the second fuel pump??

I think you meant filter coz there is only one pump. The secondary filter is in the engine compartment close to the driver side firewall. Follow the fuel line (red) from the carb and before it disappears you will see a small cylindrical insert 1 inch or more in diameter along the line. Sorry I dont have pictures.

How is your float level? The float window is "C" on doug's picture on the side that the fuel line come in (right). While idling on a flat surface rev the car to 3000RPM a few times, let the fuel stabilise, then check the level in that window. It should be between the metal strips at the pinch.

http://87accord.com/image/carb003-2a.gif

A20A1
01-08-2003, 12:07 PM
The fuel filters could be at fault.

Othe problems could be:
- A vacuum leak the the secondary.
- A loose booster venturi.
- Low float level.
- Bad ignition timing.

shepherd79
01-08-2003, 01:07 PM
i am with mike.
check for vacuum leaks.
check the venturies and make sure they are tight.
set the car on level ground, and check the float level at idle. than rev a few times at high rpm.
i don't think it is the ignition problem. it is more like fuel - vacuum problem to me.

3rd GEN
01-09-2003, 01:36 AM
well. i know the float is ok.. cuz i brought it to my friends house whos dad works as a mechanic at a honda dealership...and when he checked my float lever.. it was good..

so i am thinking...it's my filters or vacuum leak.
i had my rear filter changed about a year ago..
i will get it changed again..aswell as replace my sparks

3rd GEN
01-16-2003, 12:59 AM
ok.. well..I have changed my plugs,and i am gonna soon be changing both fuel filters to see if that changes anything..

but what i have noticed..is on those colder morning..when i go to start it..I usually give it a punch of gas to choke it down abit..
but when it's colder...and i do that...it doesn't go..like it makes a pup pup pup..as if it's like a vacuum..i can step on it..and it's not a clean vrroooommmm.
it' like a put put ....pup pup..and it feels like it could be a vacuum leak..

shepherd79
01-16-2003, 04:31 AM
the best way to eliminate the vacuum leak is to replace all the vacuum lines.

MrBen
01-16-2003, 04:08 PM
I have a similar case, only in 5th. I'll be speeding along on the freeway and all the sudden it will sputter and putt and I have to pull off the freeway because it will slow down to about 20 or 30 mph. once I restart I am fine for a while....

same problem?

3rd GEN
01-17-2003, 10:14 AM
yup...
sounds like mine...
i would be drivin along at 140km..then it willsputter and put
then i have to slowdown to likr70 or 8okm.

3rd GEN
01-28-2003, 12:05 AM
ok.. well it's been some weeks now..and i'm still havin ght same problem...even after havin my plugs replaced..
actually..i was divin yesterday, and my car started doin the same thing...i was barely even able to do 80kph!!!

I am also rplacing my thermostat tomorrow aswell..
cuz all of a sudden the other day...i was sitting at a red light, and suddenly, my temp guage went all the way to HOT!!!!! and the car was just running and idleing fine..I drove down the street, and it went back down to normal..

so now, i don't know what the heck is goin on with my car