PDA

View Full Version : 89 LXi front upper control arms

caarman
07-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

I have a 89 Accord LXi and am looking for feedback on whether 5 years is within normal wear and tear for front upper control arms? I had both these replaced in 2010 (and have driven only around 28k since) with OEM or similar parts (I thought) since they were each ~ $150 (parts only). Now I am told the upper ball joints are both worn (I could see the rubber cover was indeed cracked). For my initial investment I thought they would last longer.

Thanks a bunch!

Oldblueaccord
07-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi All,

I have a 89 Accord LXi and am looking for feedback on whether 5 years is within normal wear and tear for front upper control arms? I had both these replaced in 2010 (and have driven only around 28k since) with OEM or similar parts (I thought) since they were each ~ $150 (parts only). Now I am told the upper ball joints are both worn (I could see the rubber cover was indeed cracked). For my initial investment I thought they would last longer.

Thanks a bunch!

Well I think 5 years is pretty good. The boots seem to crack out pretty quick and then dirt ruins the joint.

You can price out the parts lower then what you said but if your having them put on that's not really to bad a price.

FYI the rears wear faster in stock form and can fail (break) completely. Im thinking 2 years of good service and after that they degrade and fail. I would get them checked/replaced as well.

caarman
07-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Well I think 5 years is pretty good. The boots seem to crack out pretty quick and then dirt ruins the joint.

You can price out the parts lower then what you said but if your having them put on that's not really to bad a price.

FYI the rears wear faster in stock form and can fail (break) completely. Im thinking 2 years of good service and after that they degrade and fail. I would get them checked/replaced as well.

Thanks very much for the feedback!
That's exactly why I was a bit hesitant since I would also have to replace the rear ones soon (I don't think they were ever replaced and my car has about 157k), as well as the front lower ball joints.

Dr_Snooz
07-03-2015, 07:30 PM
It depends on how you drive to a degree. Nevertheless, they don't seem to last very long. I wonder if that was part of the reason Honda abandoned the double-wishbone suspension in the '90s.

rebuild
07-06-2015, 04:01 PM
28K sounds really bad for that part. The control arm with the ball joint should be about $18 to $21 per side aftermarket Moog R series RK9406 and RK9408.

2oodoor
07-06-2015, 05:16 PM
It depends on how you drive to a degree. Nevertheless, they don't seem to last very long. I wonder if that was part of the reason Honda abandoned the double-wishbone suspension in the '90s.

ummm F no!:) cost more likely a reason for downgrading design quality right...but yes most makers in that era favored the top strut mount to locate the upper suspension rather than having an upper UCA with BJ at least you had some adjustment there that way.

Mevo brand from rockauto seems pretty durable so far and somewhat high performance high grade materials with a cheep price tag, they actualy have an entire suspension rebuild kit for less than 200 bucks

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2015, 09:54 AM
ummm F no!:) cost more likely a reason for downgrading design quality right...

No doubt. The MBA schools have been busy teaching the CEOs that people want crap for a couple generations now, so that idea is firmly entrenched. Just put a turd in a shiny case, have a big marketing push and presto! big money, golden parachutes and in-the-money stock options for all (of the board of directors)! Our best and brightest can't transcend the educations they spend hundreds of thousands for, apparently, so we get cars that flash and beep at us constantly and ignore all requests to turn the sat nav off while driving like padded cells on pontoons. I was just trying to be polite (instead of my usual anger, cynicism and misanthropy) by suggesting that rapid suspension wear might have been part of the rationalization they used for giving us the shaft.

MessyHonda
07-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Aftermarket parts dont last as long at OEM. 5 years is a good deal. I had lower ball joints last me 1 year before they started making noise. I upgraded to Moog ball joints upper and bottom. I also did the 2nd gen prelude arm upgrade. Makes replacing the upper ball joints a much faster job and dont have to take out the whole arm. plus you get camber adjustment since im lowered 3 inches in the front.

lost_honda_guy
05-19-2016, 06:51 PM
What is the second gen prelude upgrade, iv been trying to find info on it since my stock front ones are making noise and I plan to go low soon.