PDA

View Full Version : what is normal fan behavior?

derolph
07-07-2015, 07:50 PM
A few weeks ago, I had a shop install a new AC compressor for me and convert the system to R134a refrigerant. Since then, I believe the left, i.e. driver-side, fan has not run anytime. The right fan comes on when I turn the AC on. I believe both fans are supposed to turn on when the AC is turned on. I found a section in the PDF manual for '89 Accords which indicates both fans should come on.

Also, before the compressor was replaced, a fan - I believe the left one - would run in hot weather after the engine was turned off and it would continue until the engine temp dropped somewhat. I believe that is normal behavior for 3rd gen Accords. Is that right? It has not happened since the compressor was replaced.

Oh, I also discovered the right vent on the dash panel yields no air flow since the car was in that shop.

87roach
07-08-2015, 06:23 AM
I'm not sure about the air flow problem but as for the fan, you could double check that the connector is connected.. it might be as simple as that. Or check the fuses? I actually don't have an AC equipped vehicle so I am not totally sure about its workings.

Let us know what you find out.

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Download the '89 USDM manual (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77q5hw120lvzaw9/AAA1kvNANsn8_71-q9ksSRB2a?dl=0) and see if the troubleshooting chart on p. 23-6 doesn't help. Keep us posted on what you learn. My cooling fans have always operated in tandem.