PDA

View Full Version : '88 Accord LXI To Keep Wife happy

Locruid
07-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Hello,

This is my new project a 1988 Honda Accord LXI. This is my first Accord I've owned (own a 92 civic) and for a 25+ year old car I gotta say I'm impressed. Anyways this is what it looked like the day I rolled up to it:

http://i.imgur.com/seWyg93.jpg

EVERYTHING works. The Electric sunroof doesn't leak. The Headlights fully work. Quite honestly I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Nailed it for $500. Came with After Market Tires you see here with 90% tread left and they were studded. Also came with complete set of Factory Honda wheels with about 20% tread left. The Gentleman mentioned it burns oil. Test drove it a bit and did notice it was smoking. I wasn't concerned much, cause even crap accords around here sell for almost $2k. And since I'm a diesel Mechanic by trade, well a rebuild is pretty cheap for me to do if it became necessary. Anyways I went ahead and bought it for the wife. She has a 2000 Durango with 216k on original powertrain. While it still runs fantastic and doesn't leak anything, I'm getting a bit nervous with it and wanted to take my time rebuilding it. That and her new job is 40 mile round trip and with a 15mpg vehicle....well you get the idea.

Anyways on the way home I was climbing a hill and all hell broke loose. I left a smoke cloud James Bond would have been proud of. Took the pressure off and the smoking subsided. So got it home. Drove it a couple days and under extreme pressure it would smoke really bad. At idle it felt like it was missing. After the 2nd day checked oil and it was almost completely empty. Pulled the Air intake to confirm a suspicion and found about 2" oil in the bottom of it. Yup, blowby. Decided to tear it apart. Found out 2 things. Well 3 actually. Found out never forget to disconnect the damn shifting cable to the transmission ($20). The motor had been bored .020 over at the rebuild last year and whoever did it did a SHIT job. And the cause of the issue:

http://i.imgur.com/YMY2d85.jpg

3 of the pistons looked like that. So right now JUST got my block back from being .030 bored over (had my machine shop do it that I've used for 2 other rebuilds and machine work for my job for years) and will spend the weekend putting it back together.

Plans:
Not too much. Will add a CAI and maybe loosen the exhaust up a bit. Will probably add a DVD Deck with a halfass decent system (nothing boombox as my Civic has all that). Our plans are just for her to use as a DD, a "traveling car" and to travel to see her mom 300 miles away on occasion. I got my 92 Civic to have all the fun in :)

http://i.imgur.com/8gRImD9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cYFCTKb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1g37gfH.jpg

On a side note one of my closest friends has a 88 Accord LX with a blown motor ad transmission. My buddy said he's had it for about a year and I can have the whole thing for parts. So gonna get it to my shop and start stripping it of everything lol. Also yes I know my civic wheels are 2 different colors. Going from white to black and just havent had time to finish the rear wheels :)

87roach
07-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the forum!

It looks in surprisingly good shape, and for $500 too!

I imagine once you get the engine running again you'll be good to go for a while really.. be sure to check the vacuum hoses and such for small leaks that will lead to bizarre issues too. Good stuff man, be sure to post up some rebuild pics!

MessyHonda
07-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Welcome to the site.

This story reminds me a lot like mine when I bought it also for 500 same color except mine was stick. These cars have little to no problems with just simple maintenance. make sure to look around a lot of questions have been asked before. Hope your wife is happy with a 25+ mpg car to her work and back plus they are really comfy.

2oodoor
07-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Im surprised it needed boring to begin with, these are tough blocks and very high quality piston assemblys oem.welcome and congrats on the finds! Ive seen several A20 with over 200,000 that still had factory hone marks on the cyls :)

ryan427
07-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Nice find! Your wife will love it. Driving my 89 LX 80 miles per day. 30mpg consistently. Also, impressive that you tore it down that fast. Kudos to your mad skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locruid
07-11-2015, 09:45 PM
LOL Thanks everyone. I got experience rebuilding my Civic motor earlier this year. The 2 motors really aren't that much different.

I'm taking my time putting it back together. Just got the engine mostly back together today. Tomorrow gonna mate the transmission to it then slide it back into the car. and spend the next couple days hooking everything back up. The heat here lately has been INSANE and the only place i can work on it at home is in a Lean too with Tin roof :(. Next time I'll drag it down to my shop..... just didn't have the extra room :(

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2015, 06:55 AM
the only place i can work on it at home is in a Lean too with Tin roof :(.

I think you mean "solar oven." LOL. The car looks great. I'm surprised someone could do such an awful job rebuilding. The PO clearly cared for the car and probably meant for a better job than he got. Take good care of this one. It's a keeper.

Locruid
07-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Agreed.

They were pretty clueless about car mechanics but I do have paperwork that "Grandpa" bought it new off the dealership, passed it to "Daughter" then to "Grand Daughter" at which point it started an Oil Consumption issue in May. They kept records throughout the years lol. I now do spot work for the other daughter and she has an awesome looking 89 LX. They just decided to just get rid of it since the last owner (The GrandDaughter) just went ahead and bought a brand new Accord instead of "fighting this one again".

Locruid
07-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Slight Delay

http://i.imgur.com/EI1j8Wu.jpg

Was torquing down the Drive Plate when the socket slipped and my forearm picked a fight with one of the Valve Cover studs at the very top of the motor. 24 stitches. I should be able to resume the engine in a couple weeks (got a manager's meeting/getaway ALL week next week 300 miles away).

ryan427
07-15-2015, 02:42 AM
It will be a nice battle scar...

Dr_Snooz
07-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Ouch!

MessyHonda
07-16-2015, 02:01 PM
take care of your self.

Tdurr
07-17-2015, 09:32 AM
looks like fun! heal up man then get back at it. ur making great progress.

Locruid
07-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks all just a quick update.

Arm is healing pretty good. I've had the wife act as my 2nd hand all this week and got the motor all assembled and the transmission re-connected. My last 2 parts came in today so got the starter installed (broke the solenoid somehow) and the Harmonic Balancer back on and everything adjusted.

It's now sitting on it's blocks connected to the engine hoist but I want to be back to near functionality before wrestling that beast back in. I leave tomorrow for a Manager's Meeting that will have me back home Fri so that gives my arm another week of healing. Might be able to drop it in this weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Dr_Snooz
07-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Safe travels.

Locruid
07-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Hey all quick Update:

Got back from my meetings. Learned a lot about my New Propane fleet I didnt know lol.

Today got most of the wife's Accord back together. All I need to do is wait for the HVAC Control to arrive, add coolant/oil/Trans Fluid. Put on the front tires (doing that tomorrow) and ready for first firing.

My son had a 88 LX given to him (it's his first car). We gonna get it Sat. It has a Blown Head Gasket and might need a new transmission but other than that it's free. Was told the body and interior is in great shape. I told him HE will pay for the parts but his old man will help him fix whatever needs fixing but he's gonna learn to do it himself. I'll post some pics when we get it.

ryan427
07-31-2015, 04:52 AM
You're an awesome dad.

Locruid
07-31-2015, 03:02 PM
AAAANNNNNNDDDDDD

The Accord fired up. Ran great for 5 seconds then lost fuel. So the standard start it, die, start it, die...on the 4th it caught again and ran smooth and steady. But everything isn't perfect in Wonderland for Alice.

It appears theres a pretty damn good leak at the crank near the harmonic balancer. The seal I put in didn't seem ALL that tight so gonna yank it out and replace it with another. Other than that ran smooth and didnt smoke so that's always a great sign (and feeling lol).

It's about 105 here which I can tell you is a freakin SCORCHER for where I live. So gonna wait until tonight and fire up the ole Halogens to pull off the Balancer to replace the seal. Then I'll put the Front tires back on and seal up the exhaust. Should have it's first run on Sunday.

Locruid
08-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Replaced front seal. Engine quit leaking. Started it up and let it get to temp. Everything seems just fine however I do have a weird problem maybe ya'll can help.

If I hit the brake the idle increases and the Temp gauge reads almost H. Release the brake and the idle goes back down and the Temp goes back to normal. It's just a major inconvenience but I'd like to get it working properly lol. Definitely sounds like a ground issue to me but I can't remember how many "grounds" there are. I know my civic has like 3-4 and all I can find on the Accord is the main Battery to Engine ground.

UPDATE: Nm found the secondary ground lol. Everything working like it should now

ryan427
08-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Man you work fast. What are your compression readings? I've always been told to take an initial one after rebuild. Then again at 500 miles and another at 1000. Are you using break in oil? Post a video of it running. We're nerds.

steverine
08-01-2015, 08:51 PM
I want to second that "awesome dad" comment.

And it sounds like an awesome car.

As a resident of the rust belt who is currently working on rusted rocker panels and wheel wells on his '88, I just gotta say I envy all the owners from the West and South whom I've seen posting here recently. Anybody got one you wanna sell?? (and help me get it here...)

Locruid
08-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Man you work fast. What are your compression readings? I've always been told to take an initial one after rebuild. Then again at 500 miles and another at 1000. Are you using break in oil? Post a video of it running. We're nerds.

Not saying you shouldn't use break in oil but in the 2 rebuilds I have done (92 Civic B8 block/Y8 Head/Z6 intake and a 95 z28 lt1 rebuild to 330 rwp from 240) I never used break in oil. I did however use Assembly Lube. I'd do the normal break in period of 500 miles and change the oil. Haven't had an issue yet. I do however let it run on first startup to operating temp then re-torque the head bolts once it cools down. I wont do compression readings until I give her a road trip cause as I've learned what works great at idle doesn't always work good on the road lol.

I'll upload a vid when I can. until then heres my camaro:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/locruid/sets/72157631600833745

The first video is first start up and the second was after I adjusted some things. And no that isn't valve tap....for some reason the camera recorded the sound like that

Locruid
08-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Well had my first run.

Got about 8 miles from home and the transmission had issues. Had to have the wife grab her Durango and tow it back.

Not sure exactly what's going on. Definitely a leak between the engine and transmission but where it's leaking from I never messed with lol. Turn off the motor for a bit and you can drive it up to 20-30 then it slips out of gear and stays out of gear until you turn the motor off again. unfortunately auto transmissions are my weak spot. So might have to just pony up the cash for one. it's weird though it shift perfectly before I pulled the motor. gonna play with this a little bit and see what I can find

ryan427
08-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Valve body... Clean and reinstall. Worked for me and worth a shot!

Locruid
08-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Valve body... Clean and reinstall. Worked for me and worth a shot!

I'm beginning to wonder if the O ring on the TC is bad or fell off while I had to transmission separated. When I got it home and started up to pull it in the shop it was a steady stream of transmission fluid coming from that area

ryan427
08-02-2015, 07:49 PM
If that would cause a loss of pressure then it's a good place to start. Let us know how it turns out.

Dr_Snooz
08-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Check your shifter cable for kinks or other damage. Also, take care when installing the torque converter. You can damage the oring seal and it will blow tranny fluid like you can't believe. Ask me how I know...

Assembly lube is an absolute must on these engines. Given the configuration of the oil pump, it's impossible to prime with engine oil before first start. If you don't have assembly lube, you're doing tremendous damage during those first few seconds after first start when the engine is running without oil.

Locruid
08-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Thanks Dr.

Yessir I used assembly lube. Engine still running fantastic.

I was curious about the shifter cable cause it does seem a bit off. Not much but definitely noticed it.

Gonna adjust the cable tomorrow then if that doesn't cure it, I'll pull the transmission and check that O ring.

On a side note I noticed my Factory manual states Dexron II but everywhere I read everyone says use Honda ATF. Now I'll admit transmission (especially autos) are my weak area. I've always understood Dexron III is backward compatible with Dexron II. Would this be causing an issue?

Fixedit
08-07-2015, 10:34 PM
When I replaced my torque converter I filled up with O'Reilly "Global" brand ATF, which claims to cover a ton of ATFs, and I haven't had any issues. Pretty sure on the back somewhere it says it covers Dex III and Dex II but I could be wrong

Locruid
08-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Re-adjusted my Shifter cable. It was off.

But I still have the problem. I did notice though that when it goes to "false neutral" and I shift the shifter around I can hear the parking awl click like I throw it in park while the car is moving. It only clicks a few times but no matter what gear I select it still in neutral. Just starting to decide maybe I should just grab a rebuilt for $400 and swap it out instead of trying to fix something I don't know much about (auto trans).

Beginning to suspect I might have done some damage when I pulled the engine and the shifter cable got hung up.

Dr_Snooz
08-10-2015, 08:21 PM
You want to inspect the cable for any signs of damage, especially kinks. If memory serves, you'll have to tear down the trans to replace it, so there you go. :ugh2:

I used to be a real fluid snob, but now that I'm older, I just use whatever they spec in the owner's manual. The car was engineered to use those fluids, after all. The newer whiz bang stuff is outside of those design parameters and in some cases, they can cause problems (like synthetic engine oils and flat tappet valves). I'm experimenting with cheap store brand fluids and they seem to work fine. It's hard to know, though, until something blows up. All that to say that Dex 3 will be fine, but you're sure to get different opinions and I don't think it really matters at the end of the day. You're going to do a lot more damage by using Fram oil filters or K&N air filters than you will using Honda ATF.

Locruid
08-11-2015, 10:20 AM
HAHA Dr, yea I know about them Frams. Started only getting quality a few years ago.

The shift cable is brand new and I made sure it didn't get hung up anywhere when I re-installed. It connects behind the Torque Converter. But still gotta pull the trans to double check it. My friend made a good point though. I got a FSM for it with VERY detailed instructions on disassembling the trans. his point was it's screwed up now so you can't make it worse...might as well pull it and start where the shifter cable connects and check it out.

Dr_Snooz
08-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Good times.

Locruid
11-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Hey all

I know it's been awhile. Had to Switch to doing some work on my civic (Slow 92 CX Build | ClubCivic.com - Your Online Civic Community (http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/slow-92-cx-build.225990/)). Added some fun things to it. Anyhow the trans in the Accord is still giving issues so haven't been driving it. Just got another transmission last week to put in and started to remove the old one. But yesterday the Ole Doc put a cramp in those plans as it turns out I have a torn tendon. So extreme light duty at work and NO work around the house for 3 weeks. Luckily a great friend of mine and fellow Honda Guru is coming over Sat to change out the transmissions for me. I'm pretty sure it's cause he wants my shop for his car lol. he's got a 2000 Civic EX with a GSR motor/trans that he is building up to 300 hp and doesn't want to work in the rain :P

So FINALLY after all this time, by Sunday the Accord SHOULD be up and running. Once it is, I'm gonna take apart the old Transmission and see what I can do.

Locruid
11-17-2015, 10:55 PM
O forgot to mention, I found out the damn Sunroof Drains were clogged the hard way......man that water is COLD COLD COLD

MessyHonda
11-18-2015, 09:42 PM
O forgot to mention, I found out the damn Sunroof Drains were clogged the hard way......man that water is COLD COLD COLD

nothing like a cold shower in the morning. i remember when i hit the brakes and i almost jumped out of my seat because it woke me up.

Locruid
11-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Accord had it's first official test run today:

In town I came to a stop and a bit of smoke came out form under hood. Got to friends house and had a smallish coolant leak. Still had plenty of coolant so figured I'd fix it once I get home. Got home and no leak and no smoke......

Anywho it drove pretty good. Shift s a TAD soon but that's just a kickdown cable adjustment. Noticed the Distributor is leaking oil so I'll replace that. Irritating cause it's a new seal.....

The fuel gauge is inoperable so ordered a new Cluster for $45 (30 day warranty).

Otherwise it's running great :)

Tdurr
12-05-2015, 09:50 PM
great news man! keep it up!

Locruid
12-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Hey everyone,

Officially passed 500 miles and FINALLY FINALLY chased that pesky coolant leak(s) lol. Turned out I had 2 but both intermittent. One was the IAC feeder coolant line off the head. The band was blocking a small hole so it would only leak when under extreme pressure. The second one was next to the rear torque mount and the clamp was bad. When the engine would move it would push on it and cause it to leak but under idle it was fine lol.

It's driving great and the wife is finally happy. Actually had to explain something to her.

"The Accord is getting about the same mileage my Durango is"
"No it's not I've been watching it its getting about 24-25 which is normal for break in. The Durango gets about 13"
"But I'm filling up the stupid Accord every 350 miles and I did the same with the Durango!"
"Um Dear, you're putting in about 12-14 gallons vs the 22 you'd put in the Durango in the same 350 miles......"

Anywho she is happy, she just misses her Durango lol.

MessyHonda
12-14-2015, 10:44 PM
your mileage should get better once everything is broken in.

Locruid
12-26-2015, 01:55 PM
your mileage should get better once everything is broken in.

Unfortunately it's getting 22 now lol. But I noticed the Lockup won't stay locked up. I've readjusted the cables to no avail (both the shifter and kickdown cable) Both cables are brand new but I dd notice the Shifter cable has a bit of play. So once it warms up I'm gonna crawl underneath and make sure the bracket isn't loose

2oodoor
12-26-2015, 04:09 PM
The throttle valve cable can be very sensitive so just try one complete turn at a time, you should be able to hold it at 60 mph or so and it stay in lock up, much less than 50 mph it won't stay and if it does the adjustment probably won't suit some other shift aspect. It is weird because the shift point can change back the other direction as you make the cable shorter or longer with the adjustment, in other words there is a sweet spot somewhere in the center. If you're efi then its possible the upper part of the cable has some adjustment,its better to do the adjustment down on the transmission TV lever side. What you are doing is mechanically telling the valve body what the throttle position is so its not a kickdown cable per say.
As well, the adjustment can fall out of accuracy according to changes in the tune, for example, advancing timing or idle speed adjustment's or any power mods would possibly require slight tweaking of the TV cable because less or more throttle opening is required to make power\motion.

Dr_Snooz
12-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately it's getting 22 now lol. But I noticed the Lockup won't stay locked up. I've readjusted the cables to no avail (both the shifter and kickdown cable) Both cables are brand new but I dd notice the Shifter cable has a bit of play. So once it warms up I'm gonna crawl underneath and make sure the bracket isn't loose

What brand of tires do you have?

Locruid
01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Hey guys sorry its been awhile. hectic work.

So I've adjusted the TV cable, shift cable, and throttle cable 6 ways from Sunday. Nothing changes. The TV cable is set so the second rpms start to rise it begins to move. The shifts are nice and seem to be good with the exception of the 2nd to 3rd to 4th shift (I'll get to that in a bit). Otherwise she still getting about 23 mpg and has good power (75% rural with some hills).

So today I tried to set the ignition timing and noticed I couldn't get it. Which means I'm off a tooth. Re-timed it, took it for a spin and boy was it GUTLESS. But.....the TC locked in lol. Brought it back barely running, checked ignition timing. Silly me, forgot to tighten up the tensioner (sigh) so it jumped a tooth. RETIMED IT AGAIN lol. Got the ignition set spot on perfect. Took it for a test drive.

Shifts are smooth. 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th all uniform according to pedal. If I'm getting on it, she will hold each gear appropriately where before she would give a hiccup trying to get to 3rd then immediately just hit 4th. Idle is smooth as silk both in and out of gear (before in gear should would shake a bit but I know timing was off now)

But.....

The damn TC won't lockup...again lol. When the timing was off she was cruising 2500@60 but she's back to her 2800-2900@60. If i give it a little gas it seems the TC will lockup but the minute I set my speed she'll come out again. begining to suspect I might have a baD TPS. I know on my mother-in law's Durango the TC would kick in and out cruising down the road with no engine light on but I changed the TPS and it's been fine ever sense. Beginning to suspect I might have a bad spot in it.

I have Kumho tires

Anyone know if the 92-00 civic TPS work on these? I have a couple of those lying around that are good.

Dr_Snooz
01-15-2016, 04:10 PM
The TPS should flash a CEL code if it's bad. Testing procedures are on p. 12-28 of the manual. You can do a quick and dirty test with an ohmmeter though. Resistance should rise or fall smoothly (can't remember which) throughout the range of motion. You don't want any hiccups.

I had a set of Bridgestone tires and for the entire time they were on the car, the TC would not lock up. Replaced them with Michelins and the TC starting working again. Like magic. My mileage was crap too with those godawful Bridgestones. If the rolling resistance is real high, you'll get the symptoms you're experiencing. If everything else is running good, then look at the tires.

Locruid
01-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the help Dr!

Tps checked out ok. So I went back to the drawing board.....with a whole new cable. Adjusted it according to the Manual. Now the TC locks up a LOT more but still jumps out on occasion. I did notice though that the FSM states .08 free play on the lever and I definitely got more than that. So gonna try adjusting it a bit higher to close SOME of that gap and see what happens.

But overall even where it's at is a HUGE improvement. Wife would drive 17 miles to work and it would not lockup for 90% of the trip. Now it's locking up for 90% of the trip.

nastytee
01-21-2016, 02:00 AM
The car looks great, considering its age.

Locruid
01-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Thank You!

S U C C E S S!!!!! Readjusted the TV cable to go higher than the adjustment procedure from the FSM and now shifts beautifully. Drove it to the coast today and it performed flawlessly. 2500 rpms at 60 (instead of almost 3k lol) and the shifts were crisp and felt proper. It might be off JUST a hair but I don't care it's finally working properly.

Replaced the Spark plugs (apparently something I forget when I rebuilt the motor.....) and the ole girl runs like a champ. The wife is finally happy in that department. Now to get her a stereo and new gauge cluster (Fuel gauge isn't working D4 light doesn't work and the temp gauge works when it feels like it).

MessyHonda
01-31-2016, 04:38 PM
sounds great. congrats on the fix.

Locruid
02-24-2016, 06:28 PM
Hey all

Got a stereo in it for the wife. Nothing fancy just a decent Sony. Changed out the cluster today. Everything is working now like it should be.

Now if I can convince her to change the exhaust :D

Locruid
03-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Hey all,

Not much has changed. Weather here has been wet, wet, or wet. The Wife is getting roughly 27.5 mpg with 75%-80% rural driving. So not too shabby. Gonna fool with the fuel system though. She is fueling at "E" for 10.5 gallons and my understanding is it's a 15.9 gallon tank. So think the sending unit is off.....but at least it is working lol

Locruid
05-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Hey boys and girls.

Pulled a 29.8 vacuum on the AC and held for a week so gonna get it recharged with R12 (have a buddy who can do it he buys it in 30 gallon barrels lol)

Replaced the cruise switch on the steering wheel (the Resume was having issues)

Had to replace the Vacuum Advance, the Retard part was broke off so it could only advance lol. Anways replaced the Advance and MAN it runs really good now (wonder why :P)

Got 31 mpg to Medford Saturday at 70 with cruise on. Ran damn perfect.

Samwise
06-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Had to replace the Vacuum Advance, the Retard part was broke off so it could only advance lol. Anways replaced the Advance and MAN it runs really good now (wonder why :P)

If you went OBD1 it'd run even better. :P

Locruid
06-08-2016, 07:29 PM
If you went OBD1 it'd run even better. :P

Oh?

Well hell I'll have to investigate that....thanks

Samwise
06-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Oh?

Well hell I'll have to investigate that....thanks

It's a rather involved conversion. If you're just DDing it, it might not be worth it.

Still, it'll make your car run so much more smoothly and open up a lot of doors as far as tuning and engine management goes.

Locruid
06-19-2016, 06:28 PM
It's a rather involved conversion. If you're just DDing it, it might not be worth it.

Still, it'll make your car run so much more smoothly and open up a lot of doors as far as tuning and engine management goes.

Yea thanks I checked into it. Wife just drives it as a DD. She wont even let me put an exhaust on it to open up the breathing :( So just gonna leave it the same. Thanks for the head up on learning something new though :)

Locruid
07-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Found a Window Regulator for the Driver door for only $10. Now the window works flawless (always had a smal gap at top back). Now to find one for the Passenger side front.

Replace both Ball joints that were bad

Replaced Sway Arm bushings.

Car still running pretty good.

MessyHonda
07-24-2016, 11:16 AM
sounds like a happy honda. Wow I forgot when my car would get 30+ mpgs. Now I'm lucky to hit 25mpg with my swap.

Tdurr
07-25-2016, 07:48 PM
sounds like a happy honda. Wow I forgot when my car would get 30+ mpgs. Now I'm lucky to hit 25mpg with my swap.

lol you do alot of city driving?

and what bushing did you use for the swaybar? Just rubber replacements?

MessyHonda
07-30-2016, 12:47 PM
lol you do alot of city driving?

I would say mixed. It all depends on how much I want Vtec to kick in...lol

Locruid
02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Hey all it's been awhile.

Unfortunately this will be my last post on this project.

In November I bought a 1998 Pontiac GTP fully loaded. My wife in turn fell in love with it. So today we bought her a 1998 Grand Prix GT with all the bells and whistles. It took a bit cause it was rare for a GT with heated seats AND HUD but we finally located one and my wife liked it. So, we sold the Accord to our daughter. The Accord was a nice vehicle but the Grand Prix is much more power, FAR more "luxurious" and actually gets slightly better mileage.

SO thanks for following along and maybe I'll update important parts from my daughter's adventures.

Dr_Snooz
02-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Best of luck to your daughter. Keep in touch.