PDA

View Full Version : BMW Angel Eye Mod, Lighting...

xbi0s
01-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Fellow Accordians,

After blowing my 4th Gen Civic basically up... (Stripped the tranny from racing)... I decided my next car would be more for just show and easy riding... okay.. I want a little go.. But c'mon :)

Anyways... I always look for mods... It's just something I love to do.. Especially making my own... So I read this nice how to on how to make Angel Eye headlights, the ones that BMW's have... Those little light rings around the HID's... Anyways... I took his idea and expanded it... What you do is install an LED on either side of an Acrylic tube and slot out a side of it... If you need pictures/explanations PM or post below, most definantly...

So Anyways, I put a blue tube on the front radiator slit on my '86 LX-i and am putting 2 smaller ones at the bottom of my bumper slits.... And using it inside my car with higher resistors to make them not as bright...

In the corner lights, I installed a blue 12v lamp (Radio Shack) to illuminate the corners, and all of this is hooked up in my car with a switch panel I made into the Casette holder...

I put in aircraft-style switches w/ a blue LED above each one, with low MCD (brightness) to illuminate when a switch is placed in the on position....

So far, all together (including the 100ft or so of 18g wire) I've spent $35... If even that....

I've only got the front radiator light fully installed, and the corners being put in this friday... I've already had positive comments on the lighting....

I'm going to be posting pictures w/ how-to's on my website soon, I just wanted to put this idea out to my fellow Honda family.... Maybe share some more ideas from you guys... We gotta stick together... :)

Keep on Rice Burnin' :lol

86accord4dr
01-07-2003, 09:04 PM
yeah man... get some pics. i think i know what you're talking about but to see how cool (or uncool as the case may be) we'd need some pics. I mean i COULD discribe a really really fine woman.. but then again i could just post a pic...

-just my 2 cents

xbi0s
01-07-2003, 09:26 PM
For sure -- I dont blame you.. I have one picture up, it's really crappy -- looks for url ---

This is an older one before I tweaker the way it looked + made the middle brighter and stuff, but just to show somewhat of whats going on here it is....

(Im passing out and will take more pics this weekend when Im out)

Okay.. This pic is big, I didn't resize it (1024x768) -- so 56k'ers... watch out

Err.. Okay, I got a few pictures, I have a few of the making of it, plus a closeup illuminated one, then one in the car (Camera took a bad picture, battery was dying)

http://drayon.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showgall&gid=11

The first two pics are the lighrbar (Upclose when I first made it -- Then in my car at the mall)

The next 3 images are of my engine and then 2 random ones when I first got my liscense in the day...

Hope this helps a bit, I'll get better quality pictures this weekend.. Im prolly repeating myself a lot, I just woke back up.. Fell asleep at the desk for like 5 minutes :(

86accord4dr
01-07-2003, 09:52 PM
holy f*ck dude! that looks amazing.. like i said, it all depends on how you do it... yeah you need the middle illuminated more but damn that looks nice. on my car it'd be sweet cuz i have blue neon to illuminate my stock guages. i'm sure if you made a how to ppl'd make em... or sell em...

but anyways, looks good. just hope the cops in the nation's capital are in a good mood when you drive by cuz over here in the west blue lights equals tickets

xbi0s
01-08-2003, 04:43 AM
Blue lights == Ticket here too :)

I have all my exterior lighting wired to a switch inside... I don't turn that on unless I'm parked.. The cops out here are itchy to give tickets since they're hill billies...

Argh, off to school and work... another day I dont get to work on my car :(

Cobraman15
01-08-2003, 03:26 PM
NICE!

86accord4dr
01-08-2003, 04:59 PM
shit sorry xbios... i thought you were in Ottawa CANADA... didn't see the Illinois there... ok well some stupid ppl still run with the blue washer LED's and shit so i wasn't sure if you were one of them... good to see you aren't.

more pics pls (i'm greedy man... )

Cobraman15
01-08-2003, 06:32 PM
yo could you make directions with a wiring diagram cuz thats a really sweet mod and very cheap too.

xbi0s
01-08-2003, 08:18 PM
WAHOOOOO!!!!

Sorry, had to let that one OUT! I got FOUR days off from working at Wal-Mart.. I'm a cart pusher, aka bitch at this damn store...

Anyways! Tomorrow is the day, I'm stopping at Radio Shack after school to get a couple low power LED's for the indicator lights on the switchboard, and I'm going to start soldering and wiring in....

I'm going to start making a tutorial on my website while I'm at school tomorrow, stuff is getting hectic since I have to study for 2 WYSE tests so I get another gold :)

I'm going to try to write an intro to the electrical part of the LED's and what it all means too, for anyone that's not good with that stuff....

Sorry to just drop off, but I'm dead tired :) I'll have more pictures tomorrow too... I'm putting on a lower resistance (== brighter LED's) and hopefully getting better pictures, since in person the entire bar is lit up and in camera it wasn't...

Come to think of it.. Radio Shack is out of the higher powered LED"s I need for outside... I use 2600 MCD (Basically 'Candle Power of the LED, the brightness...) So I gotta wait a week on those... !@#$ Neat wiring job can be done tomorrow... :)

Peace

8ate8
01-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Angel Eye mod: http://students.washington.edu/ashis/Creating%20Custom%20Angel%20Eyes.htm

Defiant[YD]
01-10-2003, 04:13 PM
yo man, i honestly have to say, that is the best damn homemade mod so far. great job man. i'm gonna be messaging u as soon as i get money to upgrade my headlights and do this mod. damn man, that is seriously one phat crx with that mod. holy crap, i wanted to do the LED thing for my speedometers and stuff, but i didn't know how to wire up the resistors and shit and how to power it. damn man, that is seriously a great how-to.

syn4la5
01-10-2003, 07:06 PM
i happened to have the material but when i tried it with a reg dc volt battery it doesnt light up bright enough to travel thru even half way thru the clear tube how do iget it brighter

syn4la5
01-10-2003, 07:09 PM
nevermind i looked at my led and its only a 300mcd lol not very bright its like a blue dot britghness only dime size

xbi0s
01-10-2003, 10:16 PM
lol.. Yeah, Im using 220OHM Resistance w/ 2600MCD

Defiant: No no NOO NOOOOOOoo!

I did _NOT_ do that website.. That is someone else, the CRX.. who is, yes, a talented SOB....

I just took what he did with the Angel Eyes and converted it to fit with my car for interior/exterior mods --

I did take pictures, but Im out of AA's so I cant get shit from the digicam to the computer.. so a little wait.. That and radioshack is out of my LED's... I bought them out lol...

Update, these 12v lamps SUCK... Really crappy.... Do not use the colored lamps from Radio Shack for lighting

As soon as the huge shipment of LED's I ordered comes in, I work on interior so I'll get pictures out with some ideas that I did...

Once again, I do !NOT! wanna take credit for making those "Eagle Eyes" :)

I just used the tubes in straight lines and in different locations :)

I'm all about open source :) I just modified on his idea to better us all.. Even if I didnt...

But a note, I did have my 1 bar illuminated tonight and got some good comments on it... I hooked up my switch w/ LED.. But I'm not happy with the location, I'm looking for more of a hidden location for it, so that search goes on....

Anyways... Imma get some sleep

syn4la5
01-11-2003, 11:08 AM
well i put 2600 bulbs on w/220ohm resistors looks nice i have a slit in the tube every 1/2inch but it is still not bright enough yours seems brighter any suggestions

xbi0s
01-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Don't actually SLIT it :)

Make more like surface abrasions... Mine are about 3millimeters apart...

U have a bulb on both sides, correct?

hondamanlxi
01-27-2003, 05:41 PM
i want to see this idea really take off... but this thread already died :(

uneek
01-27-2003, 06:03 PM
that is so sexy please make a how to on that i would do it as soon as is posted god that looks great oh and welcome to 3geez :D seriously though that looks really good.

goldyaccord
01-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Hmm... I could do that to my Jag Headlights since it's round and all.....

but then, i'm not sure about that. I dont wanna mess anything up.

xbi0s
01-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Well...

Radioshack STILL hasn't gotten in my LED's... jerks.

Then to top it off my Digicam broke and is in shop for repairs...

So there will be a slight holdoff till I can make anymore...

I put on the 220ohm resistors on the front and it turns out on of the LED poles broke off... The first model was pretty crude so I'm going to start working on it more.

It's so damn cold though, any motivation to go outside and work on this is killed when you walk outside and it feels like knives stabbing into you :)

Anyways, I'm goign to start making some interior lighting... Plus I'm running over to JC Whitney after school (5min away) and buying a tube to make the CAI :)

Fun stuph.

87accordHB
01-28-2003, 09:37 AM
HOLY SHIT..on my way to radio shack now!

DigitaLuminescence
01-28-2003, 10:54 PM
I'd do this mod, but I don't think it would look very good on my 3gen with the lights that I have. Maybe I'll mess with a friends car just to see what it looks like (1981 Honda Civic... LOL!)

Does anyone have a pic with this mod on their Accy's squarish headlights, it would be nice to see. I don't want to mod my accords headlights to circular, cause that would look all fugly-like.

Nice job, xbi0s!

(BTW, cool license plate! I want a custom, but they cost way too much in WA.)

xbi0s
01-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Well, the idea i had for doing it on the square headlights was to actually make a square design

Putting 4 seperate little bars together to form the shape in the headlight assembly...

2 LED's per tube, total of 8

Problem: The headlight covers that I have are those stupid stock ones with lines, so Im not sure how good it would look to have in there, but then again it might look cool having the headlights flipped up, when parked, glowing blue....

Got another damn snow/ice storm here in N. Illinois, so holding off (also funds are low :))

Hopefully, when it gets to the mid 40's I can start working on it again, I like the way the light works on here, makes a nice glow, just need to implement it in the interior

Also... You can use a heat gun (so I'm guessing) to bend it, the tubes are only acrylic.

Anyways, I'll try to get a tutorial up on my website soon enough (whenever my damn camera comes back).

Custom plates are something of around $100 here.. But if you throw a # in it, they dont cost...

I forgot how much mine were, something like $40 or so...

+++ I also saw a tutorial on how to make a radar jammer, it looked interesting so I think I may try to make it and use one of my friends (cop) when he's on duty to see if it works

Chances are it won't, but I like doing that kinda crap anyways...

Defiant[YD]
01-29-2003, 07:55 PM
hey, yah, i kinda realized that site wasn't urs after i posted. heh, but still man. it's a freaking good idea.
i was just wondering if u wouldn't mind drawing up a circuit diagram of the led's, resistors and powersource.
cuz i wanna do the same thing to my gauge cluster for a while now, but i dunno how to wire up the resistors and leds so that it works good.

xbi0s
01-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Alright.. made a basic diagram to follow

I'll get pics soon

http://drayon.com/wiring.gif

<EDIT>
RED == Power
BLACK == Ground

A brake in the line == Interupter Switch

Z type deals = Resistor

Big box == Battery :)
</EDIT>

geez3k
01-30-2003, 04:07 PM
no offense
they are plain ugly on 3rd gen accords

87accordHB
01-30-2003, 06:11 PM
i made one today because i was board and relized i had the stuff to make it lying around. I had to borrow my dads office window blind rod however :) im gonna post it in a min..looks crappy but ok for a first time...at least i think so

StUpiD8000
02-05-2003, 07:48 PM
I just got a buch of rods and im going to try something with this. I dont know how thay would look on the 3geez headlights. But Iv been looking into a lil headlight modding Something like that one red car someone posted here .Im useing fiberglass to mold something with two lights in it . High/low Ill post pics if it gos anywhere......I found the link (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12117&highlight=headlight)

86accord4dr
02-05-2003, 11:19 PM
yeah but in that link YK86 had a good point about the side markers... it looks pretty sweet on the prelude tho... kinda integra influenced but cool. yeah if you can make it work we'd love to see it. what are you gonna use for the lights themselves?

xbi0s
02-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Wooo.. I found a place up near Chicago that has the LED's for around $.33 a pop.. Going up there saturday

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-06-2003, 10:31 AM
wow........ just wow. i would love to do that to my car, but my lights are pop-up. oh well. but that's just cool. that kid with the student. washington.edu site had a great how-to. not trying to diminish yours or anything, looks like he made it into an assignment of some sort.

StUpiD8000
02-06-2003, 10:50 AM
what are you gonna use for the lights themselves? Im not sure. Im been trying to find some small KCs for HI a 120watt projecters for low Not to much on that yet. I need to get to the yard to get some spare parts to make things fit right....I HATE OHIO

3G Jester
02-07-2003, 03:38 PM
on our square 3gs that gotta look odd..bu i do wanna see it. YOu would have to do a CIRCULAR H4 conversion .....which....if you modified the black light housing and made them flush i think would look really good. but thats a lot of work.