PDA

View Full Version : OBX header?

Dandestructobot
07-20-2015, 05:25 PM
I did a search and didn't find any threads with "OBX" specified. I'm wanting a decent aftermarket header to begin my carb build. Has anyone purchased one? Installation issues? Fitment? Just want to make an educated purchase. Thanks

Tdurr
07-21-2015, 11:52 PM
I got one for sale. It has the egr tube welded up. I was considering welding the slip fittings this week because of boredem.

I dont have much imput on performance because i installed it when I did alot of other upgrades.

mdauriemma
07-22-2015, 08:45 AM
^^^Didn't your OBXs leak? I wish someone would have posted their experience with the OBX before I bought it. They also hang way too low on my carbed DX in comparison to the pace setters (different experience on other makes/ models according to other forums). I have scraped mine at least 5 times in 1 year in lots & over speed bumps & driveways.

Take my advice and get the pace setters. paint / spray them with Jasco paint remover/stripper & coat with a ceramic exhaust paint. This is what i ended up with. Pace Setter headers are available through summit racing & on their eBay store... $50 more than OBX if I remember correctly. They are steel, and not SS unfortunately-- see below. Still an upgrade, as cast iron stock mani is heavy & super rusty.

The OBX do not seal fully with their tube sleeves, even with welding-- You cannot weld the inner seems. I have a set that I might make into a turbo manifold b/c it would be cut above the sleeves. I also welded a wideband oxy bung in the useless top pipe connection, leaving the EGR port still useful. This was done after I pulled it from the car with the leak. Would be fine until under load, and you could see the bad sleeve joint leak with seafoam.

The best bet is pace setter... BUT THEY LIE WHEN THEY SAY PAINTED!!!
the paint coat on the black one is a standard primer, and burns/ peels off when you first fire it up.
WHAT ABOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS, DON'T THEY TELL YOU ABOUT THAT?
no, they say that the headers are only primed, and tell you to recoat if you like-- not strip & paint. They do NOT specify that the primer on the headers will peel off when painted with a ceramic paint...so they wasted half a can of my precious exhaust paint, as it peeled off with the crap paint underneath. Best damn headers though...much quieter than OBX when idling & provide a nice tuner sound when under load.