PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable ideas...gimme opinions.

Don87LX
01-08-2003, 08:27 AM
I few weeks ago my throttle cable snapped about 3 inches in front of the weber, and really pissed me off. I managed to jury rig it back together so it works, having to cut off all the threading and using hose clamps to hold it in adjustment in the bracket. It works, but I don't like it cause it's just not nice and if it brok in this spot, the rest of the cable is probably not in nice shape.

I saw a nice after market braided steel jacket cable setup at pep boys for a good price, so I think I am going to use that for my new cable, however my dilemma is this. I have an auto. Looking at the TV cable you can see is meets the existing throttle cable near the firewall, disapears into a thick sleeve with the throttle cable and then only one cable attaches to the gas pedal. Obviosly, they are joined in there.

I am thinking about seperating the two cables, removing the stock throttle cable, routing the new throttle cable like normal, then, attaching the free end of the TV cable to the same location as the throttle cable on the carb's linkage and making or buying a bracket to hold the TV cable in adjustment on the intake manifold (I'm pretty good with aluminim)

Does this sound like it would work well to other people?

A20A1
01-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Hooking 2 cables to one bracket makes for a lot of headaches... But the good part I have found is you can make the TV cable travel shorter then the accelerator cable travel... this makes the auto trans a little more agressive with shifts once you have adjusted the tv cable right. :D

Don87LX
01-08-2003, 12:43 PM
yeah, but I am talking two cables with two brackets. the main throttle cable in its bracket (on the nose side of carb) pulling the weber's link toward the nose, and a second bracket (on the firewall side of the carb), holding the TV cable.

Like this:

-----------{---]------#----[----}--------
1...............2.............#...........3....... ...4

1 = Throttle
2= Throttle bracket (existing)
##= Carb linkage
3= new TV bracket at Carb
4= TV cable.

A20A1
01-08-2003, 01:00 PM
oh shoot... I ment to say hooking both cables to one carb linkage... I'm not sure if there will be enough travel on the tv cable side if you hook the tv cable to the same place that the throttle cable hooks to.