PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting my Lxi

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 12:06 PM
I figured i would ask before i start reading the Honda Manual but heres the deal my winter accord wouldnt start christmas eve after i shut it off then i got a jump and started no problem. I got a new battery and put it in and i was driving at night and the lights would kinda flicker and dim occasionally so i swithched cars for now. But when working on it the starter was real loose and so i took it out to test it and its fine so put it all back and check fuses etc. The battery tested between 10-11v so its a tad lower than it should be but even with a jump nothing. Everything seems fine but dont turn over at all. But the other day it did start then it stopped turning over. I just want to see some thoughts cause i hate working out in the cold/snow and the book will give me a lot of suggestions. Thanks Rob

The Altenator is about a 1yr old from Honda so im hoping/thinking thats not the problem but very well could be part of it.

mindlos
01-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Something says alternator all over the place. Since you got a new battery that was fully charged and is now depleted means the charging is kaput. Go to an auto parts store if you can, though I wonder how in your car, and they can test it in the car. Also make sure that the alternator wires arent loose/broken. If you cant go to the auto parts store get a voltmeter. Normally the voltage across the battery it 14.4 when the chargin system in working and the car is on. A good battery alone will be 12.4-12.6. If the alternator is gone you usually notice the voltage continuously going down with the car running on the voltmeter. Only problem is your battery is quite depleted now. Can you borrow one just for short testing and not run it too long, or get yours charged?

You should have been getting the battery/charging warning light on the console before things got to this state even after the new battery.

BTW my friends accord alternator went out in less than a year for some odd reason. It wasnt a honda but autolite from checker. Just so you know it does happen but you are still pretty unlucky.

mindlos
01-08-2003, 12:30 PM
You could also take just the alternator to autozone or checker for testing coz it seems highly likely you will replace it.

-M

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Well i have a meter but didnt feel like digging it out of the snow to get under it. I had the altenator go b4 and the charging light came on and i just put the new one on cause i had it sitting in the box new. I suppose i could take the altenator out of my other accord and try that. Im gonna look through the book tonight but its a pain cause it could be a lot of things. Im thinking it may be a wire by the way it worked sporatically but i guess i will soon find out. I just hate working on it out in the snow but on the other hand i dont want my nice one exposed to the weather any more than it needs to be. Thanks for the tips i will check them out and see whats in the manual but looks like im just gonna have to get under it and just do it. Thanks guys

mindlos
01-08-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm hoping you already checked the belt for good tension or mere presence for that matter. Sometimes the 10mm nut that secures the fat ass ground wire on the top comes loose. Just some more thoughts.

Hey, I didnt notice you actually have 2 cars. Start with the small tests so you dont have to get under the car before you really have to.

I guess you could use the other car as a ghetto charger for testing purposes.

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 04:42 PM
I just hate having to do stuff outside and now in the snow. I dont mind working on things and im pretty mechanically inclined but i dont like troubleshooting cause your usually up against a bunch of posibilities. My friend has a nice heated garage but he keeps his prelude in it and he is waiting for some parts cause we just did a H22 swap but the fuel line wasnt long enough becuase the motor has a fuel rail for right hand drive. I should have a garage to work in next winter but its a pain without one. Thanks for the help and i will let you guys know what it was when i find out.

mvk
01-08-2003, 06:41 PM
My toyota was doing that last year. Very freaky. Well anyway found out that one of the battery terminal was vey loose, tightened the battry clamp(lug) bolt and it works like a charm now.

MVK

cruznz
01-08-2003, 06:51 PM
if i understand ur post right....u have 2 probs...alternator and starter,....check ur belt tension first,....as for ur starting prob,how long was the starter loose for?..as this could have damaged starter,....

RobT5580
01-08-2003, 07:02 PM
MVK, I actually put new ones on today as well because i thought that may be a problem and the ones i had for my system sucked and didnt clamp as well so i did that.

cruznz, The starter is fine and actually i all the bolt on parts (alt, starter, water pump, etc) are maybe 1yr old all from honda. I took the starter out and tested in to be safe and i have the old one that still works as well. But im leaning on the altenator or a bad wire. To be honest the engine was a JDM with low mileage and i still put $1300 in parts just because i wanted it to be reliable and it was my only car then. I figured i would ask everyone to ck for ideas so i can eliminate some possible causes. Thanks for the help and i gonna try to fix it tommarow or friday.

mvk
01-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Please keep us posted once you resolve the problem.
Thanks

MVK

anchovies
01-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But the alternator is not the culprit for your starting problems. You should be able to start the car even without a working alternator as long as your battery is good. I'll put my money on a ground wire or sensor for your problem.

mindlos
01-08-2003, 11:07 PM
His battery is already down to 10-11V (first post) and thats why it wont turn over.

ACCORD EX
01-09-2003, 01:47 AM
if the lights get dim while driving as you said , so it' s propably teh alternator ! ( did the battery light came on ? ) anyway check the belt maybe slipping !

MIKE

RobT5580
01-09-2003, 08:33 AM
No it didnt and i figured it wasnt the altenator but its def somehting to do with it a wire or something. If the battery wasnt low i would think it was a switch like the clutch switch. But the sporatic dimming hinted a loose connection but you never know but i dont have time today so i will work on it tommarow and let you guys know. But thanks and i will be sure to check everything mentioned and i found some things in my Honda Service Manual.