PDA

View Full Version : Sticking valves

Inferno21
01-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Hey i did a valve adjustment today and 3 valves are sticking! 2 intakes in cyl 2 and the exhaust in cyl 3...is this a big job to fix...the main reason its bugging me is because its ticking like mad, and my car is starting to shake bad too, lemme know what i have to do thanks

-Bryan

socal3rdgen
01-08-2003, 03:35 PM
maybe thats why even after i adjusted my vavles they were still ticking

Inferno21
01-08-2003, 03:44 PM
well it wasnt ticking before for me, but i wanted to do a valve adjustment becuase i was blowin some blue smoke sometimes, like a very small amount so then when i did my timing i figured might as well do the valves, and ive only made it worse, anyone know what i have to do?!

-Bryan

1988starter
01-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Sometimes a fuel treatment can loosen stuck valves but clean them and remove crbon deposits.

Inferno21
01-08-2003, 09:31 PM
ok thanks for the info man, i'll try some higher grade gas, and some engine treatment shiz...i hope its as easy as that, if not im gonna be pullin the head apart, which i really dont wanna

-bryan

YK86
01-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Check out my reply to your post at vancouverpreludes.com
Oh, forgot to mention it but welcome to 3geez!!

Lester Lugnut
01-09-2003, 03:41 AM
Adjusting the valves isn't going to eliminate blue smoke.

Blue smoke = oil.

You either have worn valve stem seals, guides or the oil rings on the pistons are weak. I vote for either the seals or guides. Oil is being burned inside one or more cyls. combustion chambers.

If the ticking followed the valve adjustment, you may have peformed that task incorrectly.

Inferno21
01-09-2003, 05:23 PM
ya i figured out what i did wrong and there isnt a lot of blue smoke its only when i first start the car, but its not the reason i really did the adjustment i did for the hell of it, the blue smoke was just another thing i thought of....but im gonna fix my mistake tomorrow mornin so i'll keep ya updated!

-Bryan