PDA

View Full Version : Air suction valve

ryan427
07-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Hoping this one hasn't been exhausted. I have searched and don't really seem to come up with what I'm trying to find out. What is the function of the AS valve? Does it improve or hinder performance in any way?

The former owner of my car said he unhooked the EGR valve. I looked a little closer and realized he had just unhooked the air suction valve and capped off the two vac connections. So I disconnected and capped off the EGR valve and reconnected the AS valve. Definitely sounds "throatier" now since there is air traveling through the air suction pipe, etc. I'm not sure of a performance difference at this point. I was hoping that by reconnecting it, it would solve my high idle (stuck at 1250) problem. No dice. Think I lost a thermo wax valve.

If anyone has a technical explanation of how this valve works with our cars (mine is carb'd), I would be grateful. I wish I could eliminate all of this emissions stuff yet still keep my cruise control. Sorry this post is a little all over the place. It's been a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2oodoor
07-27-2015, 04:40 PM
without getting too much in detail on this particular application because I may not be exact, the Air suction valve protects the cat from meltdown by diluting NOX HC, in short it is engineered to introduce extra air in the exhaust stream as needed. Another emissions device that was an alternate to having an air pump running off a belt like some cars of the era. Purge valve, several names it has gone by..

ryan427
07-27-2015, 04:54 PM
This is really simple and helpful. Makes me think I need to replace the cat especially if I choose to disable it again. 26 years old. 278k miles. Hm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk