PDA

View Full Version : tranny oil change ?

ACCORD EX
01-08-2003, 04:25 PM
i was thinking of changing the tranny oil ! hasn't been changed since i owned teh car ( 2 years ) , i 've checked it before and it's ok and looks ok ! should i change it anyway ! ?

but anyway how do you guys check it with out raising the car ( level ground )

can i slightly raise it to reach to it and fill it all it has to be on a fully flat ground ! any ideas are welcome ! thanx ! :)

MIKE

mzabeefy
01-08-2003, 05:30 PM
i don't have to raise my car to check the level or drain it. but then again, my car is at stock height. i just squeeze the ratchet in from the top to check the level, and same from the bottom to drain it. if you haven't changed it in two years, go ahead and do it, it won't hurt :)

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure how to do it on Automatic transmission, however for manual transmission you must be under the car to inspect the fluid level.

1. ALWAYS REMOVE THE FILL PLUG FIRST!!!! - This bolt can be easily stripped so remove this one first. You don't to be in a position where you have a transmission devoid of fluid and having to go to Honda to buy a new fill bolt. You'll need a 17mm wrench or socket.

2. Remove the lower drain bolt with your 3/8 ratchet and drain the oil.

3. Replace both the fill plug washer and drain plug washer.

4. Reinstall the drain plug & new washer. Tighten to appropriate torque (40Nm, 29lb-ft).

5. Fill transmission (manual transmission only) with Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 5-30 or 5-40 synthetic oil until it flows out of the fill port. At that point, reinstall the fill bolt with new washer and tighten to appropriate torque (70Nm, 51lb-ft).

I recommend synthetic fluid because it will last longer and from personal experience, shifting has been noticeably smoother. Although Honda recommends a 10-30 or 10-40, I haven't found a synthetic multiviscosity oil with 10, only 5W. I began using Mobil 1 & Castrol Syntec with 170,000 miles (310-315K miles now) and have not had any problems with the trannie since the change. I usually change this once a year. It's an overkill but it's easy and I have electric lifts.

Claude

mzabeefy
01-08-2003, 07:10 PM
i thought that to check the fluid level, you just stuck your finger in the fill hole, and bend it down a little, and if you felt oil, it was full? is this correct? i can easily do this from above the vehicle.....

HondaManDan
01-08-2003, 07:24 PM
I own an auto and have gone through this...

1. there is a dipstick screwed into the transaxle on the left side of the car. It's close to the block yet you'll have to dodge through many hoses and wires to get to it... you can see it if you shine a flashlight down there... it's odd looking.
2. Remove.
3. Wipe clean.
4. Stick it back in the hole, but dont thread it in. just pop it in the hole and remove it to check the fluid level.
5. The level should be inbetween the two XX marks.
if it's not between them, add fluid.. ad ONLY HONDA ATF fluid, NOTHING ELSE... it will mess up your tranny (i learned this the hard way with Valvoline Dexron II)
You might have to get it from a dealer. I dont know of any places that sell it on the shelf.

How many miles does your car have on it? If it's over 100k then I would reccomend jacking up the car, removing the drain bold, and letting all of the fluid that comes out out... (some will stay in the gearbox)... then just add the Honda ATF and you should automatically feel a smoother shifting, less knocking ride in your honda. Acceleration actually improves also. But it's up to you.

HondaManDan
01-08-2003, 07:25 PM
OK nevermind i just noticed you had an EX 5speed... im a loser
lol sorry dude.

ACCORD EX
01-09-2003, 01:41 AM
thanx for all the replies guys ! i didn't notice that i can do it from above ! anyway thanx again ! and sorry for not telling it's a 5 speed or auto :banghead: , though it's written under my name !:D

MIKE

ACCORD EX
01-09-2003, 01:50 AM
now i remembered something my dad did a clutch job in the car a year ago ! so oil has been changed !
but the oil in it is not engine oil it's manual transmission oil ( green color ) i am sure !
so what's the difference between that oil and the engine oil !

MIKE

Lester Lugnut
01-09-2003, 03:34 AM
Manual trannys call for motor oil; not gear oil. Gear oil is MUCH thicker than motor oil.

I cannot attest to any adverse affects using gear oil, but if Honda thought it was necessary, they would come from the factory with it.

If it were my car, I'd change it to 10W-30 or 10W-40 or whatever the manual calls for.

AZmike
01-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Using gear oil will just hurt your gas mileage since all the tranny parts have to spin through the thicker fluid. For that reaason it might run a little hot after a long drive, but I doubt that would hurt anything.

ACCORD EX
01-10-2003, 02:31 AM
thanx for all the inputs guys ! i think i 'll change mycurrent oil as soon as possible !
but how can i full flush the tranny if i am gonna change the the oil type ???

MIKE

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Get that thick gear oil out of your tranny immediately. If you want to flush the oil out of your tranny, just drain the old oil and refill with new oil. Drive a few miles going through all your gears. Let the car cool, drain and refill.

Use a quality synthetic motor oil.

Claude

Einstein
01-10-2003, 07:47 PM
For a manual transmission, try Honda MTF.

10W30 and 10W40 are made for the crankcase. Honda MTF has a similar viscosity profile, but skips the detergents and other non-lubricants, and adds viscosity improvers for good boundary lubrication and smooth syncroniser engagement.

People try other lubricants in their S2000s, but always seem to come back to MTF.

ACCORD EX
01-11-2003, 06:13 AM
so looks to me that honda MTF is like mobil MTF !
i think i won't mess with it ! the car shifts smooth and runs ok !

MIKE

RCracer
01-11-2003, 11:48 AM
When I stripped the engine and tranny out of my B20a parts car I ended up with some of the tranny oil going on the floor.
It was gear oil (you know the type that smells like cat pi$$).
Went to honda and they recomended either honda MTF or 10-40 engine oil.
I ended up using 10-40 engine oil after 1 of the mechanics told me that honda MTF (manual tranny fluid) is just 10-40 engine oil with colorant, a few adatives to stop foaming etc and a jacked up price.
My tranny works better with engine oil in it than it did with the gear oil that was in it when I bought it.

ACCORD EX
01-11-2003, 04:20 PM
thanx paul ! :)

MIKE

1988starter
01-11-2003, 06:25 PM
I use lucas MTL and 10 w 30

Einstein
01-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by AERODECKUK
1 of the mechanics told me that honda MTF (manual tranny fluid) is just 10-40 engine oil with colorant, a few adatives to stop foaming etc and a jacked up price.

:bs: The transmission has differerent needs than an engine. Yes gear oil is the equivalent viscosity of 10W40, but it doesn't need to cope with blow-by contamination such as moisture and partially burnt gasoline vapors. So why have those non-lubricating additives in your tranny? Instead, it needs to deal with high pressure with low hydrodynamic conditions. It also needs to provide the proper friction activation of copper alloy sychros. There's no colorant, my friend. Just friction modifiers.

10W40 is fine, but if you want the smoothest shifting and best protection you should go with a dedicated MTF product. How much extra are you paying for the protection? Maybe a dollar or two a year? I'd give that for smooth shifts and peace of mind anyday.

RCracer
01-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Einstein
:bs: The transmission has differerent needs than an engine. Yes gear oil is the equivalent viscosity of 10W40, but it doesn't need to cope with blow-by contamination such as moisture and partially burnt gasoline vapors. So why have those non-lubricating additives in your tranny? Instead, it needs to deal with high pressure with low hydrodynamic conditions. It also needs to provide the proper friction activation of copper alloy sychros. There's no colorant, my friend. Just friction modifiers.

10W40 is fine, but if you want the smoothest shifting and best protection you should go with a dedicated MTF product. How much extra are you paying for the protection? Maybe a dollar or two a year? I'd give that for smooth shifts and peace of mind anyday.

:wtf: You think I would risk useing the wrong oil in my rare 5 speed B20a tranny to save a few $$$$$:lol :lol :lol
Especially after the amount of$$$$$ I have put into the B20a engine.(& yes the B20a tranny is rare here too)

I Think NOT