PDA

View Full Version : 1988 lxi 5spd

skimdilk
07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Hey all. Just bought my 88 accord lxi with 214k. All stock (sans acura stereo) one owner vehicle, owner was a vet and the car has been dealer maintained its entire life. Runs like a dream, seriously a smooth ride and its got some pep for sure. Anyway just wanted to post an introduction, this forum is full of good resource and I look forward to being a part of the community.

Definitely planning to rebuild/ build up the engine once I have the cash.

Any suggestions on what I should do if by the car is in great shape?

derolph
08-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Congratulations, your Accord appears to be in exceptionally good condition.

I'd probably leave the engine as is and just take care of it and drive it. But, to each, his own.

By the way, I see some rust on a metal coolant tube on your engine. Mine leaked there and I by-passed that metal section with flexible hose. The photos show my rusted, leaking line and the bypass with a hose.

Dr_Snooz
08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Beautiful car! Welcome!

skimdilk
08-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Congratulations, your Accord appears to be in exceptionally good condition.

I'd probably leave the engine as is and just take care of it and drive it. But, to each, his own.

By the way, I see some rust on a metal coolant tube on your engine. Mine leaked there and I by-passed that metal section with flexible hose. The photos show my rusted, leaking line and the bypass with a hose.

Wow good catch, thanks. This is actually the first car I've bought for myself, grandfather is a mechanic so I have a good basic knowledge but I lack the trained eye to see these things and think they need replacing.

The car is definitely fun to drive, however I'd like to have a swap ready to go by the time this engine starts to show its age (which it doesn't haha)

After doing the research on different engines I'd really like to put a b18c in this car, b20a would be preferred but those are so hard to find and I've gotten the impression that they are hard to find parts for (I've had some first hand experience with this problem from a gifted 3g lude I used to own, yes I know they are not the same engine). I know that custom mounts would be required for this swap and placeracing used to have them. After searching the forums I gather that these mounts are hard to come by without fabricating them yourself. However I was wondering if anyone was aware that these (see link) mounts exist and if they are even what I would be looking for.

Innovative Mounts 86-89 Honda Accord B-Series Conversion Motor Mount Kit (B16, B17, B18, B20) | 18950 (http://www.swapshopracing.com/contents/en-us/p5160.html)