PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak near upper timing belt cover

steve520
07-31-2015, 11:33 AM
This site has taught me so much with cars in general and these cars specifically. I am now faced with another oil leak and don't know where to look first it seems to be coming from the upper timing belt cover. Searching from here it seems to either be a crank seal or the oil pump. Problem is I don't know how hard it is for someone like me to change. I'm not sure if I have to remove the timing belt first before I can get to the seals i'm looking for either. Also if I have to take the timing belt off can I keep the same timing because I surely don't have a timing light. Timing is fine on the car and wouldn't want to mess with it anyway. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Dr_Snooz
07-31-2015, 08:11 PM
You can do the cam seal without removing the timing belt. Or rather, you don't have to do the extensive tear down and complete removal of the timing belt that you will if it's the oil pump or crank seal. If you end up having to do the full timing belt service tear down, then replace all the seals while you're there. Replacing the water pump and tensioner are not a bad idea either. If you leave the distributor alone, ignition timing will not be affected by a timing belt replacement. It's not a difficult service to perform, but it is a lot of work. You don't need any obscure tools or special training. Just follow the manual and take it step by step.

steve520
08-01-2015, 01:53 AM
That's a relief to hear it sounds like a lot of work but knowing I don't have to set the ignition timing again is a relief because that was my main concern. The distributor o-ring I already got taken care of so I won't even be touching that. I'll have to wait for a day it decides not to rain here though because I just want to replace all those pesky seals.

steve520
08-02-2015, 06:09 AM
Hey snooze im going to go ahead and replace the camshaft seal. I took a picture of it the best I could after I removed the upper timing belt cover. The inside of the upper cover was covered in gunk so I dont know if its the problem but I don't think it would hurt to replace it. My question is if I remove the bolt to the camshaft gear do I need to re-adjust the camshaft gear to the top center. Or do I need to turn the crankshaft to make it at top dead center or the "UP" mark. Honestly the UP mark is pretty close to where center but not quite. Just curious to know before I get going removing the camshaft gear to get to the old gunked up seal. 7113

Dr_Snooz
08-05-2015, 07:31 PM
You don't have to do anything with it, provided you don't move it at all. It would be a good idea to verify TDC on the crank and cam after re-assembly, of course. Basically, you're going to remove that cam gear, gouge out the old seal (taking care not to scratch the sealing surface), put in the new seal and replace the gear. Shouldn't be too hard but there are always surprises. Use a large socket to seat the new seal and be sure to grease it up before installing.

It's also possible that the valve cover gasket is leaking in that spot too.

steve520
08-06-2015, 06:28 AM
I have an automatic. Verifying TDC on crank would require looking in the timing hole right on tranny? And verifying the timing for the Cam would be looking at the up mark on the gear and make sure the timing belt lines are lined up with the head right? When should it be at TDC? Or should I find TDC just to verify they are both TDC at the same time?

Dr_Snooz
08-06-2015, 07:45 PM
You got it. They just need to be at TDC at the same time.

steve520
08-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Hey snooze had some freetime to do this job and when i started turning the bolt it was turning the whole cam gear and turning the timing belt with it. I reset it to where it was because i marked it with some marker to make sure i can re-assemble the same position i took it off. How do i get the bolt off without turning the camshaft gear?

Dr_Snooz
08-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Whack your wrench with a hammer.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/64355-how-free-rusted-seized-deformed-bolts.html

steve520
08-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks snooze will do.