PDA

View Full Version : H4 Conversion

hoho1217
01-09-2003, 10:39 AM
nothing new here guys, but

I just Ordered a pair of H4 sealedbeam Conversions.
some ghetto strobes
and a pair of Mtec Super White Bulbs

The Conversion Lenses comes with a small "seperate" hole closer to the bottom of the back, it's suppose to be for the running bulb that the kit comes with.
but im gonna stick my strobes in that instead.
the Kit also comes with 2 bulbs, but im sure they are prob gonna be generic "blue" bulbs, so i ordered a pair of Mtec Super Whites.

my question is, do u think the rubber coat of the strobes will melt? =( if the headlights are on too long?

are these conversions reliable? or do they break easily?

and Are Mtec Super White bulbs any good? like are they white enough and bright enough? cuz i got a pair for 13.95 shipped.

The Kit was 49.50 shipped and it came with:
2x Conversion Lenses
2x "Blue" Xenon H4 Bulbs
2x "Blue" Running bulbs
2x Rubber "gasket"

the Strobes i got for 10 bux flat.

BensAccordLxi
01-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Hella makes some head lights that have a purple tint like projection headlights.

RobT5580
01-09-2003, 11:40 AM
I got mine from streetbeatcustoms and i love them. I would have prefered a glass housing but they are good. The only problem i had was moisture but nothing a little sealant wont fix and the projection of my bulbs are 10 time better.

maka_RTH
01-10-2003, 03:36 PM
i got mine off of ebay for $40 i want to get some PIAA 5000GT bulbs, but odn't have the money right now...

88Ex-i
01-10-2003, 06:31 PM
ya, I just bought a set of those Piaa's the other day. A bit pricey, but I can see really clearly at night. Except now one side has some moisture inside the headlight, so I gotta fix that now.......

hoho1217
01-10-2003, 08:18 PM
hm... so it seems like it gets some moisture leaking in huh?

well i'll see wut i can do to seal them when i get my kit

maka_RTH
01-10-2003, 09:35 PM
mine haven't had any problems with leaking so far. i got the good kind ;)

hoho1217
01-10-2003, 09:51 PM
o man.. i can't wait to get my kit, it's been shipped out yesterday, hope it comes early next week

shepherd79
01-11-2003, 05:07 AM
H4 kits with day lights are known to leak. you may be lucky and it won't leak.
about the light bulbs, PIAA is good brand name, but there are a few problems with their lights. they give two color light. at low beam they burn at higher temperature and at high beam they burn at lower temperature.
example: PIAA super plasma GT low beam at 5000K and high beam at 4200K.
I went through 4 pairs of light bulbs before i got this http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/raywhitsonh4.html
this is true 5000K low and high beam light.
I love them to death. you can get them cheaper on EBay.

hoho1217
01-11-2003, 10:21 AM
thx for the info shepherd!

do u guys know if the Mtec bulbs are any good? (the standard wattage, NOT high wattage version)

maka_RTH
01-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
H4 kits with day lights are known to leak. you may be lucky and it won't leak.
about the light bulbs, PIAA is good brand name, but there are a few problems with their lights. they give two color light. at low beam they burn at higher temperature and at high beam they burn at lower temperature.
example: PIAA super plasma GT low beam at 5000K and high beam at 4200K.
I went through 4 pairs of light bulbs before i got this http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/raywhitsonh4.html
this is true 5000K low and high beam light.
I love them to death. you can get them cheaper on EBay.
thanks for the info. i haven't ooked around too much, and i just figured that most lights would be like that, lower color temp for the high beams. i'll have to look for those other ones ;)

Chubs87Accord
01-13-2003, 05:03 AM
you need plumber skills... if your head lights are known to leak... get some silicon sealent (try to get one that wont ignite when it gets to a certain temp... or you can get your basic water sealant and just put it aroudn teh problem areas.. IE where the sity lights go into the head lights and what not

hoho1217
01-13-2003, 05:25 PM
thx too!!

o man.. this is driving me nuts, my conversions haven't come yet, the bulbs were shipped out today, gaaaaa, I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!

hoho1217
01-21-2003, 10:45 AM
OMFG!!!

This is REALLY pissing me off, my conversions still didn't come yet, my bulbs came last week, but they were cracked during shipment.
They agreed to replace em for me, so imma go after skool today.

but my conversions!!! damn, taking way too long!!

88' Accord Ltd
01-21-2003, 01:54 PM
I got my H4 conversion a few days ago. They are pretty sweet, i got a pic of my car with the conversion next to my dads stock 3g. You can really tell a differance. The pics quality isnt the best and the blubs aren't high quality either but you get the idea. lol!
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/290000-290999/290159_6_full.jpg

hoho1217
01-21-2003, 07:55 PM
nice!! nice!!

and DAMN im STILL waiting =(

BLck89accord
01-21-2003, 08:50 PM
i just got the XENON HID CLEAR LENS KIT 86-89 HONDA ACCORD off ebay. Hopefully they're better than my cool blue h6054's from autozone. We'll see.

maka_RTH
01-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by BLck89accord
i just got the XENON HID CLEAR LENS KIT 86-89 HONDA ACCORD off ebay. Hopefully they're better than my cool blue h6054's from autozone. We'll see.

i'm sure they are ;) especially if you get yourself some nicer bulbs

BLck89accord
01-21-2003, 09:29 PM
what kinda bulbs should i look for? they cojme with shitty bulbs or sumthin? I like the blueish tint but i like blinding people at the same time;)

maka_RTH
01-21-2003, 10:04 PM
read the first page of this thread, we talked about some bulbs real quick

hoho1217
01-21-2003, 10:52 PM
i recommend, Raybrig, PIAA, Sylvania Silverstars, and Mtec.

the first 3 might cost u more.

Mtec cost less, but IMO same quility. i recommend it

isadisa
01-22-2003, 01:02 AM
I just recently did the H4 conversion with a set of Focuz H4 bulbs, they are totally awesome, I can see about 10 times better now!

http://www.speedoptions.com/members/95159/28998/pic22.jpg

DigitaLuminescence
01-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by hoho1217
i recommend, Raybrig, PIAA, Sylvania Silverstars, and Mtec.

the first 3 might cost u more.

Mtec cost less, but IMO same quility. i recommend it

I just bought some Sylvania Silverstars, and I'm pretty happy. The only problem is that they are not as blue tinted as I thought they would have been, they are REALLY white though. But I can see a hell of a lot further than with my old bulbs.

If you want that blue tint look, Silverstar won't work for you. (It says HID quality... I'm not convinced.)

Defiant[YD]
01-23-2003, 10:17 PM
i just ordered my kit with Ractive bulbs for $80 canadian. so thats like what? 50-60 US or something?
anywayz, yah, like everyone's been saying,
Raybrig, Piaa, Ractive, and possibly sylvania.

i like the bluish tint so i went for ractive.

Piaa's, u might have to change ur wiring harness. dunno for sure, but thats what i heard since i was gonna get piaas.

sylvania's a good bang for ur buck. they selling it cheap over here. i dunno, around 20-30 per pair or something?
but i dun't think they have any bluish tint.

Micah 89LXi
01-24-2003, 12:54 AM
well since my damn webserver wont let me host pics..i have to post a link..im almost embarassed to post it..my car looks soo awful in winter...i finally got the fender and teh headlight cover replaced..and i also recently put in h4 conversions...havent hooked up the blue cruising lights yet..waiting for warmer weather..but those lights are awsome..im sure with even better bulbs they are much brighter...but they are a hell of alot brighter than stock and they look damn nice too...u cant tell in this picture but ill have to post a better picture of my tinted corner lights later
www.angelfire.com/ut/SSGoku/mycarsno.jpg

for those of u who dont know...probably dont care i rear ended a jeep a couple months ago and i had to do all the repairs myself..and aside for a little probs with the door it looks alright..im getting it painted soon..havent decided whether i should get it the silver of the fender there or bright glossy yellow...either way getting trim redone and new emblems..what do u guys think?...no money for rims yet...i wanna find some cheap 14's..cant afford all new tires

Defiant[YD]
01-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Finally got my H4 housings and bulbs in.
they look so good and much brighter when compared. took a while since it's -25 over here!!!
i'll hook the signal lights that came with the housings later.
but damn, this is one conversion to do if u wanna start modifying ur car.

maka_RTH
01-26-2003, 03:03 AM
here's your pic Micah:

SiR
01-26-2003, 09:33 PM
H4 conversions are one of the must-do mods for are car. You can really see the difference. What everyone has said about them is true. Make sure there glass.

Micah 89LXi
01-28-2003, 12:08 AM
i dunno what i did differently about installing mine..but ive never had a leak or any problems with condensation...and i bought cheap ones..but i made sure to get the glass...mine came with the super blue "cruising lights" too i think ill install those this weekend..maybe get some pics out..might as well have em considering my accord is gonna be blue by springtime :-)

Micah 89LXi
01-28-2003, 12:10 AM
hey Accord SiR what kinda bulbs..(brand) do u have in..they look alot brighter than mine..mine came with cheap xenons when they go ill get better ones..nice pic btw

SiR
01-28-2003, 12:24 AM
They are PIAA H4 BULB: 60/55W XTREME WHITE

MrBen
01-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Did your H4's come in yet?

original2k
01-29-2003, 03:03 PM
I've been through so many sets of those damn things that i'm almost hesitant to buy another pair, right now i have 1 eurolite lamp, and i had all sorts of condesation/leak probs, so much it blew out my other bulb and i can't use the lamp anymore, u guys say there is supposed to be a drain hole? what if i just drill a small whole in the bottom of the lamp? just enough to let water out slowly, (if it had one where would it be located?), last but not least, if i go buy an apc lamp from advanced auto, will the two different lamps look funny brightness wise? i would assume any difference would be in the pattern of mirror on the inside, any help greatly appreciated

hoho1217
01-29-2003, 04:31 PM
IT FINALLY CAME!!!!!! AFTER 3 weeks of waiting!!!

OMG SO NICE! SO NICE!!!! i installed the Mtecs on them, so far so good, i have to wait till tonight when it gets dark, so i can REALLY see my lights in action.

i'll try to get some pix too.

original2k
01-29-2003, 04:59 PM
ahh sweet man, mtec a really good brand? i was thinking of getting those sylvanias cuz they are more white, should look pretty "brilliant" with H4, don't get me wrong tho, those blues are sweet! i had a pair once that were so blue it interfered with my night driving lol, they were sweet but not practical at all.

MrBen
01-29-2003, 05:38 PM
3 weeks? Was it off ebay with a guy who's screen name had warehouse in it? like lightbulbwarehouse or something I don't remember. I just ordered some from him and read his feedback, many people complain about slow shipping or never getting product shipped to them.

hoho1217
01-29-2003, 11:05 PM
it's from "kyotousa.com" grr i don't like that guy, watch out for him.

anywayz, i've tested them out at night, it wasn't as great as i THOT i'll be, the bulb itself is bright (i can say so because my cuzin owns a set of the exact same bulbs on a 02 civic coupe). but the projection of the conversion lenses is kinda bad, like the light is shatter everywhere, it's hard to get it to focus on the road and not having it "beaming" to close to the car (which i can't see very far ahead).

any suggestions on how i should adjust these lenses?

MrBen
01-29-2003, 11:23 PM
THe black knobs under your hood on each side by your lights. But if I were you I'd take it somewhere and have them adjusted for you.

MrBen
01-29-2003, 11:30 PM
I just looked at the site where I got mine, looks like its the same people. I hope it isnt as bad for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401608934&category=33710

hoho1217
01-30-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
I just looked at the site where I got mine, looks like its the same people. I hope it isnt as bad for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401608934&category=33710

:eek: omg same ad as minez,

look here,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=1876325201

well best luck to u,

i wish the best for the fellow 3geezers =)

original2k
01-30-2003, 08:50 AM
if u wanna just order bulbs the best ebayer to get em from is a guy with a screen name "midnightmoose" i ordered them on a monday and i got them like thursday!!!!! i was like omg!! i thought the guy lived down the street or something, he's the best to order from cuz his prices are cheap and he even has like 30day warranties on all his bulbs and sends them super fast, just check his feedback you'll see

MrBen
01-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Take them somewhere and get them adjusted, or fiddle around with them yourself when its dark out. Just pop your hood up and adjust them. Let me know how they work. Is it really bad? Is it better than stock ones?

hoho1217
01-30-2003, 03:12 PM
the bulb itself is a lot brighter, but the conversion lenses shatters the light too much making it hard to focus on the road, hard to adjust.

MrBen
01-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Weird. Hope its enough to live with. Hope I dont hate them. Actually, I hope I get them. Check out the guy who sold me lights feedback. A lot of people never recieved. Ugh.

hoho1217
01-30-2003, 07:43 PM
o hey, u know where or wut kind of shop would adjust my lights for me?

hoho1217
01-30-2003, 08:23 PM
ok, got some pix up

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL62/762244/1325617/19352104.jpg
that one is a close up of it at night, yes it is on, just the picture turned out bad and it's side view.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL62/762244/1325617/19352111.jpg
that's whole front shot with fog lights on

tell me wut u think

MrBen
01-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Go to a honda Dealership. I know what you're thinking, but personally I think they have the experience and know how to do it correctly. Your pictures dont't look too bad. Can you get one of how the light casts on the street. Like you would see from inside your car?

hoho1217
01-31-2003, 03:21 PM
i'll see if i can take another pic, cuz the camera isn't minez, it's my friends.

and about the honda dealer, =/ im pretty sure they are gonna charge me, and i don't exactly have the cash right now.

thx =)

MrBen
01-31-2003, 03:46 PM
hoho: I will quote out of my Haynes Auto Manual

Park your car 25 feet in front ofa blank wall on a level floor. Position masking tape vertically on the wall in reference to the vehicle centerline and the centerline of both headlights. Position a horizontal tape line in reference to the centerline of all the headlights. Note: It may be easier to position the tape on the wall with the vehicle parked only a few inches away. Adjustment should be made with the vehicle sitting lvel, the gas tank half full, and no unsually heavy objects in the vehicle. Starting with the low beam adjustment position the high intensity zone so it is 2 inches below the line and 2 inches to the right of the headlight vertical line. Adjustment is made turning the bottom adjusting screw counterclockwise to raise the beam and clockwise to lower the beam. The adjusting screw on the side should be used in the same manner to move the beam left or right.

So basically, to draw the lines, mark the vertical centerline on the wall by using the center of your car, then the horizontal centerline by marking it on the wall when its a few inches away. It should look like a plus.

hoho1217
02-01-2003, 01:31 AM
thx! =D

MrBen
02-07-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm still waiting for my damn lights. ARG!

cdscowboy
02-08-2003, 02:50 AM
For those of you fellow conversion pals who are having problems with condensation, I have THE answer. I just took some sheet metal and cut/bent it to fit in underneath the headlight cover. If you want, I might be able to get a pic of it. But it basically acts like a roof...it completely covers the back seal, which is where the condensation gets in when rain or whatever rolls down the hood into the crack between the hood and headlight. I have it bent so that the water falls on either side of the seal. It's kinda hard to explain...if you have any questions, IM me on AIM at Cdscowboy... I'm on more than any sane person should be!!

One more note...PIAA Xtremes all the way...:D

aussiegen3
02-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Produces superior visibility and new brilliant HID white appearance! For exclusive competiton car use only, prohibted for use on a public roads.

hhhhmmmmm

MrBen
02-10-2003, 05:01 PM
A quote means nothing unless you have the source.

hoho1217
02-15-2003, 09:53 AM
shiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!! CONDENSATION SUX, this time it's not CONDENSTION FOR ME either!!, it's like a pool of water in my converstions!!!!! if you guys been looking at the weather, u'll know that Socal has been hitting hard with rain. one day i woke up to go to skool, flipped my headlights up, and they didn't lit anything, so i got outa car to look at them, and OMFG!!!!!! my mtec bulbs were all shattered and the pieces were floating around the 1.5" water inside my headlight, im not BSing, so i had to change back to my old sealed beams, i need help bad!!

maybe i'll contact cdscowboy for this

MrBen
02-15-2003, 11:06 AM
Keep me posted man, Mine still haven't come.

cdscowboy
02-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Hoho...go ahead...I realize what I said may not make much sense, so I'll try and get some pics of what i did...it's really pretty simple once you get know where the cuts are. I'll work on those pics...but it's raining here, too! :( Damn west coast rain...

MrBen
02-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Do you think that siliconing the hell out of it would work?

MrBen
02-17-2003, 04:09 PM
I WISH MINE WOULD GET HERE. ARG!!!

zip7
02-17-2003, 04:56 PM
yes, silicon will work. Just seal along where the housing and the len meet and don't forget about the city light. The biggest problem is the housing is made of plastic which will expand and causes leakage. If it was up to me, I would like to have both the housing and len to be made from glass. I think this would solve a lot of our problem.

MrBen
02-17-2003, 05:04 PM
They just arrived Airborne Express. FINALLY! It took them 4 weeks to ship from a city that is an hour from me. Morons. They're nice though! I guess I'll go silicon the crap out of them and put them in. I'll keep you all posted.

BLck89accord
02-19-2003, 07:53 PM
i finally recieved my conversion after a very long wait as well. They were shipped on the 5th, and just now got here. What a joke, but i guess it was well worth it. I installed them this afternoon with some Xenon Krypton Purple Showoff Bulbs. Looks very good. Very Extremely Blinding.;) I'm already preparing for the flashing of high beams and the middle fingers that follow:lol
Oh well. Success!!

MrBen
02-20-2003, 07:20 PM
I know, me too! I can't wait. Payback!