PDA

View Full Version : Head removal

Versanick
01-09-2003, 02:59 PM
To start with, we are trying to pull the head and intake off of my 86 accord LX sedan to port them so that as soon as I get my new 88 LX (same everything), I can put in the ported head and intake, and drop in a cam.

To begin with, the headers on this 86 are rusted to the block from sitting outdoors, and running over 225,000 miles. (the 88 I'm going to get has 280,000 hahahaha). When we finally got that off, we found that the head was bolted to 1000 different things. Since the 86 didn't have to run, we've ended up cutting over 20 hoses and wires, just to get the carb off and get at the back side of the head. Can someone tell me the things that are attached to the head besides the intake from the back side, or can someone provide a link to some sort of tutorial to taking the head off? This is a nightmare! I'll post pics tomorrow!

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
-Versanick

PhydeauX
01-09-2003, 03:23 PM
The only things that may not be obvious when you're looking at it in the car are the braces for the intake manifold. Unbolt them from the manifold but leave the manifold attached to the head. You already have the exhaust off, and I'll assume that you got the timing belt out of the way. There should be much more then that. There is that little lift hook thing on the intake side near the timing belt cover, if I remember right its bolted to the head and the block. After that just take the head bolts out, grab the intake manifold and try to rock the thing loose. After 225,000 head feels likes its been welded to the bloclk.

andy