PDA

View Full Version : 89 LXi high pitched ringing / whistle on acceleration only

rebuild
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM
it sounds kind of cool really, but i assume is a signal that something is awry and needs fixing. is it a vacuum leak? how can i narrow down where it is? are all the vacuum lines / gasket/s easy to change out? 500+ miles on it

2oodoor
08-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a vac leak but I would expect to hear it all the time. Just to be safe though I would check the timing belt tensioner not locking up as well as all the belts for slippage.
Lxi- vac leak like that would likely be manifold gasket, hard surfaces that form a whistle, rubber things leaking probably wouldnt whistle high pitched im only guessing.

SWIS
08-11-2015, 08:12 PM
I am experiencing the same issue on my 87' hatch. I could swear it is in the speakers of mine.
I have an aftermarket stereo and when I plug my phone (s5) into the cigarette lighter and then the auxiliary cord into the headphone jack of my phone, the sound gets ever more high pitched ando louder.

I figured I had an open ground somewhere.....

Dr_Snooz
08-11-2015, 08:32 PM
I am experiencing the same issue on my 87' hatch. I could swear it is in the speakers of mine.
I have an aftermarket stereo and when I plug my phone (s5) into the cigarette lighter and then the auxiliary cord into the headphone jack of my phone, the sound gets ever more high pitched ando louder.

I figured I had an open ground somewhere.....

Your radio condenser might be shot. I think it mounts on the passenger shock tower in the engine bay.

it sounds kind of cool really, but i assume is a signal that something is awry and needs fixing. is it a vacuum leak? how can i narrow down where it is? are all the vacuum lines / gasket/s easy to change out? 500+ miles on it

The intake manifold gasket sometimes cracks and creates leaks. It's pretty easy to check its condition by looking.

SWIS
08-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Your radio condenser might be shot. I think it mounts on the passenger shock tower in the engine bay.

I've noticed that the alternator light flashes intermittent as well, but not sure if it is related.

I'm going to check into what you said my radio sometimes doesn'the turn on also so, it's possible. Thanks!