PDA

View Full Version : How To Prep For Maaco

89NinjaAccordLX
05-21-2002, 04:48 PM
I'm going to HAVE to get a MAACO paintjob. However I want to do everything to my car that I possibly can to make it EASIER for them to do a good job on it. What can I do, and please give me detail on how to do it. I have 600 grit sandpaper and a bucket.

joshuabrack99
05-21-2002, 06:50 PM
first thing first is to sand off all or the clear coat u have, then do not use anything higher than 100 grit to smooth out because your primer and paint have to stick, next have everthing you don not want painted taped over yourself or removed when you take it to them-these places will paint straight over everyhing-even your trim so becarefull--but it is a great way to a awsome paintjob at a low price:super:

gruvmstr206
05-21-2002, 07:45 PM
yea maaco fu*kin* sucks. i took off all rear lights, front lights, took my mirrors off, spoiler off, and windshielf wipers off (and drove it there like that!!) make sure you have them shave your emblems. when i got the car back it looked ok, but the fuckers got paint on my windshield so i had to take it back (loozers) and when they sanded the car they didnt take the sticky shit off the trunk left by the aftermarket emblem i had on (they assumed i was going to put it back) you get what you pay for dude

TAGaCIRCLEa4anarky
05-21-2002, 08:49 PM
heyyy dont badmouth maaco, my car looks damn good and it only cost 1200 bux :D

YK86
05-22-2002, 12:58 AM
Do everything Joshua said. Also, Maaco quality depends on the store. Every store is independantly operated. The one I went to treated me fairly and when I had problems with rust bubbles (covered under their warranty, they took care of it right away no charge, no questions asked).

89NinjaAccordLX
05-22-2002, 02:41 AM
Ok, so lets say I'm sanding the car and I start to see sheet metal.. have I sanded too much? You said sand off the clear coat (joshua). Does that mean I should just sand down one layer of paint?

89NinjaAccordLX
05-22-2002, 05:24 AM
Anyone?

Jdub07
05-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 89NinjaAccordLX
Ok, so lets say I'm sanding the car and I start to see sheet metal.. have I sanded too much? You said sand off the clear coat (joshua). Does that mean I should just sand down one layer of paint?

If you are sanding down to sheet metal I am sure you are sanding to much. Your just wet sanding and don't need to go that far. You'll be able to tell when the clear coat is gone by the dullness of the paint. Easier to tell went the water drys. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this was my result when preping my VW. Good luck

joshuabrack99
05-22-2002, 08:54 AM
all you have to do is give the car a rough look by taking away the clearcoat(you know this is accomplished when there is no glossy look afterwards,don't worry if you sand down to far -just use primer filler when finished-if you want a dark color to stand out use a light primer-you want a light color as your paint then use a dark primer- then wipe off all over spray and take it to the shop