PDA

View Full Version : CV Joint clicking on turns

Luis 89LXi
01-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I've hearing a clicking noise when I make a turn (I hear loud when I make a left turn), I guess are a bad CV joint, I start hearing since I change the both Front Wheel Bearing, Is someting to do before I have to change the CV joints ?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-09-2003, 06:28 PM
The clicking most probably means a worn out CV joint. Is it possible that you damaged the CV boot while working on the bearings? If that happened, dirt could have worked it's way into the joint and pretty much wore it out (or got close to it). Inspect your CV boots. Also, some people note that replacing a torn CV boot and repacking the joint with grease is a temporary solution to the clicking.

Hope this helps. :D

njpeter
01-09-2003, 06:43 PM
do you really want to get stuck?. clicking is just the beginning, if you had to change the bearings, there is a really good chance you need a driveshaft or two, they shouldn't be too expensive.

Eventually the CV joint will disentegrate..hope your close to town if it does

Luis 89LXi
01-09-2003, 07:30 PM
man you scare me !
If I have to change the CV jonit has to be Inboard and Outboard plus the driveshaft ???

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Guys:

Just because your CV joints are making noise when you turn does not mean that the joint is in danger of eminent failure. Mine have been clicking for over 100K miles and I haven't had any problems. However, if you want to fix the problem, purchase an after market axle. It will come with the inboard and outboard joints. All you have to do is install them. Honda does not sell the outboard joint separate from the axle. An original Honda Axle runs about $250-$275. An aftermarket, which will do just as good a job will run about $60-$90 and most offer lifetime warranty.

Claude

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I need to replace mine too :mad: They've been clicking faintly for a couple months now, but it's been getting progressively worse lately

btw -- an aftermarket axle from Napa is only $63 + core, so it's not that expensive to do.

Luis 89LXi
01-10-2003, 12:13 AM
$ 63 is pretty cheap, so this axles comes whit all that I need ?.

ACCORD EX
01-10-2003, 02:39 AM
yes ! may be you 'll need a new spindle nut ( 32mm ) if it's in bad condition ! and the axle clip ( the goes into the tranny ! )

MIKE

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-10-2003, 02:39 AM
Hi Luis:

Yup, most aftermarket axles come with everything preassembled and greased. If it doesn't, don't bother with it and find a shop that will sell you a fully assembled axle.

Most competent techs can install these in about an hour to an hour and a half. I have seen certain individuals remove and install both axles in under 1/2 hour.

Claude

diego_89accordlx
01-10-2003, 03:33 AM
Ok, i have clicking when i turn, and my tranny i leaking. on another thread someone said it could be the cv joint seal is where i'm leaking fluid (oil) from. so replacing my cv joints would be a good idea, and would fix my tranny leak too, right???

um few more questions. man i'm annoying :D

when you say axle is it $64 for 1 or for 2? and what the heck is a core charge?

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Diego:

$65 is per axle. As for the axle seal at the transmission, you could elect to replace the seal. I don't know if you need to drop the tranny or not.

Claude

Luis 89LXi
01-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanx a lot man. I guess I can sleep know. I been thinking I'll loose an eye of my face (I expect i'll so expensive).

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by diego_89accordlx
when you say axle is it $64 for 1 or for 2? and what the heck is a core charge?
A core charge is an extra charge put on all remanufactured/remanufacturable parts. They want your old part back (the core) so that they can rebuild it and sell it again, so the core charge is kind of an incentive to bring it back to them. When you do, you get your full core charge refunded to you. Usually it's like, $15-20, but can vary depending on the part

Luis 89LXi
01-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Hey Jareds !

I cant find the whole Axle, did you have the NAPA part no. for it ?

njpeter
01-11-2003, 06:00 AM
but since the auto and 5sp are not the same, use care if you bid..I'd go for the complete rebuilt assembly..you'll need to loosen that nasty nut too...best to start reading up on that now.

In america when something is expensive, it costs us "an arm and a leg", losing an eye is something that happens from doing somebody wrong

ACCORD EX
01-11-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by diego_89accordlx
on another thread someone said it could be the cv joint seal is where i'm leaking fluid (oil) from. so replacing my cv joints would be a good idea, and would fix my tranny leak too, right???

that someone is me ! and if you want to stop the leak you have to replace the C.V. joints seal ! they are cheap !

MIKE

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Luis 89LXi
Hey Jareds !

I cant find the whole Axle, did you have the NAPA part no. for it ?
Yep.... http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_cat.d2w/report?search_string=&org_string=

Left w/manual trans -- CTR7027
Left w/automatic trans -- CTR7029
Right -- CTR7030

:)

Luis 89LXi
01-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Thank you man.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Luis,

Look at autozone. The part is $109. If you give the core back then it's $59.

Kragens has various ones from $50 to $100 per axle.

Claude

P.S. Any decent local parts store should have these.

88WhiteLX-i
01-12-2003, 07:14 PM
When you can hear the joint clicking that means that contaminents have already worked their way into the joint and its no good. The only way to salvage that joint would be to take it apart, clean it with degreaser, and then repack and replace the torn boot. Is it worth it to do all this when you can o and buy a remanufactured CV shaft for like 60 bucks, NO!! lol

RCracer
01-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Beware of cheap reconditioned cv joints. I put some on my car reciently and they are starting to click already.
Lucky they are under waranty (not the fitting of them though)

:crying: :mad: