PDA

View Full Version : how to mount portable GPS navigator in 3rd gen Accord

derolph
08-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Have any of you used a portable GPS navigator in your 3rd gen Accord? What type of mount did you use to hold the GPS on the dashboard?

Edit: I wonder whether a Garmin Zumo 350LM Portable Friction Mount (http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Friction-Mount-Frustration/dp/B002OL2MU4/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1439652721&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+gps+vehicle+mount) would work. The Accords have a small dashboard; they don't have much space on top to sit anything but they do have some flat area. The dimensions of the mount in my link are 7 x 5.5 x 2.2 inches. So, it won't really fully and flatly seat on the dashboard. However, this mount is a bean-bag type of mount and perhaps it could be shaped to sit in the space in front of the clock on the dashboard.

derolph
08-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Perhaps a suction-type window mount would be better. Example: Bracketron - Grip-iT Vehicle Mount for Select Mobile Devices - Black (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bracketron-grip-it-vehicle-mount-for-select-mobile-devices-black/7695023.p?id=1138084373352&skuId=7695023)

derolph
08-16-2015, 12:18 PM
I ordered a GPS navigator. I believe it comes with a suction-type window mount. I will try it and see how it works. One disadvantage to leaving a mount in the car when parked somewhere is that thieves can see the mount and, even it no GPS unit is visible, they might suspect one is hidden somewhere in the vehicle and still break into the car.

2oodoor
08-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Thieves suck
I use a bean bag style "mount" for my garmin but I modified it using an old otter box belt clip holder and black tie wraps so now it holds my phone. My actual garmin I usually strap it to whatevers handy with whatevers handy lol.

derolph
08-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Well, I received my new Garmin GPS navigator today and put in the car for a road test. I just used the suction mount that came with it and that seems to work fine. The mount is fairly easy to mount on the windshield and remove. I cleaned the inside of the windshield before initially mounting it, as recommended by Garmin, and it seems to hold quite well.