PDA

View Full Version : Horn, cruise control and emergency flashers not working. Related?

skifreak
08-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Just picked up this '88 Accord yesterday. This is just one glitch, but it seems to be kind of odd that all 3 of these (cruise control, horn and emergency flashers) would not work, and all of them are related by the combination switch behind the steering wheel. I am sure someone out there has had this issue before? Could it be contacts on the horn ring? Combination switch?

Any guidance?

skifreak
08-21-2015, 10:05 AM
By the way, I put the steering wheel and the horn ring (or slip ring, whatever the correct term is) on my Accord and the horn worked. So I might guess that the cruise control would work as well, but did not drive to verify. So the steering wheel and the 3 tab connector are good, the horn ring behind the steering wheel is good. Any other ideas? Yes, I did check fuses and they are good as well.

ryan427
08-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Not looking at a wiring digram at the moment but I'm pretty sure your hypothesis is reasonable for the horn and cruise. I'm not totally certain though that the hazard lights would be dependent on the slip ring. Were you able to verify that cc and hazards work now? If anything it sounds like you might want to clean contacts in the combo switch. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

postphotos
10-10-2015, 09:17 PM
In a '93 civic I bought, the hazard switch plugged into the wrong plug (an accessory one, specifically the clock) caused all of this and more (blinkers didn't work, misfiring) and when I corrected the plug it all went away.

My 0.02.

lostforawhile
10-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Not looking at a wiring digram at the moment but I'm pretty sure your hypothesis is reasonable for the horn and cruise. I'm not totally certain though that the hazard lights would be dependent on the slip ring. Were you able to verify that cc and hazards work now? If anything it sounds like you might want to clean contacts in the combo switch. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthe hazard switch has nothing to do with the slip ring, the horn and cruise buttons do though, check the fuse for the hazards, but first try sliding the button back and forth a few times, often that fixes it, if it hasn't been moved in a long time