PDA

View Full Version : brake light trouble...

pearldrop
01-10-2003, 09:58 AM
I can't figure out why my brake lights aren't working in my Accord wagon. I figure the systems are still the same so somebody here may be able to help me.
My brake lights stopped working the other day. All of the parking lights and turn signals still work just no brake lights. The 3rd brake light hadn't been working and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet so the light on the dash was lit up saying a bulb was out. (It wasn't a bulb, I tried that.)
When the brake lights stopped working so did the indicator light on the dash. So now I have no brake lights.
I replaced the whole wiring harness to the taillights when I bought the car so the taillight sockets and bulbs are all brand new (I checked the bulbs already).
I also tried putting in a new brake switch (on the brake pedal).
The cruise control works fine.

Anybody have any ideas?
Is there an actual fuse for the brake lights somewhere? I would think there would have to be but I have no clue where it would be.

Thanks for any ideas.
Chris

RobT5580
01-10-2003, 10:41 AM
I cant remember but i believe its under the dash on the drivers side. There is another fuse block under the hood but im most positive its the one under the dash because i just recently had to work on mine cause my parking lights wouldnt work and i went through it all. But it sounds like a fuse but i wonder what caused it to go especially if the wiring is new? But thats where i would start.

pearldrop
01-10-2003, 11:14 AM
I didn't replace all of the wiring, just the wiring harnesses that go to the taillights from the quarter panels back.
The car had a broken taillight when I bought it and the sockets had corroded to make the parking lights and turn signals not work. I replaced the harnesses on both sides and it fixed the problem.
I just replaced the taillight housing the other day and that is when I noticed that the brake lights weren't working. I know they worked a few weeks ago but I don't know if they stopped working when I replaced the taillight or if they were already out.
I guess I am going to have to do some searching for fuses tonight.

RobT5580
01-10-2003, 12:39 PM
You may have pinched a wire or something but usually its not the wiring but seems to me like it blew the fuse. If it is the fuse replace it but if it goes again your gonna have to find whats shorting out. I had a hell of a time tracing my problem cause i did a lot to the car that wk (moved batt to trunk, had exhaust welded on, ran all my stereo wiring) so i had a hell of a time checking it and it turned out to be that i didnt cap the illumination wire behind my stereo. The fuses are easy to ck and if you dont have a fuse tester then looking at them will do but take needle nose pliers and pull and ck each one for the lighting. One thing is it may be a problem with the new harness so if the fuse blew try a new one and it that blows put the old harness back just to test it.

carotman
01-10-2003, 01:21 PM
check the horn fuse, the horn and brake lights are on the same system but no label tells that.... (fun huh?)

pearldrop
01-10-2003, 01:35 PM
I went home on my lunch and looked at the fuses. None of them are blown. I also tested the wiring by the taillights and there is no power going to the lights. I checked the brake switch and it has no power going to it either. So it is obviously somewhere between the battery and the brake switch. Now I just need to find out where the fuse is. It must be a separate fuse somewhere under the dash because it isn't in either fuse box. I checked the horn and stop fuse and it wasn't blown. The horn still works too.

SYKO5150
02-27-2003, 01:52 AM
fuk i have the same problem