PDA

View Full Version : weird trans problem

Mantis88LX
01-10-2003, 02:05 PM
ok when i drive my car and the park it again it wont crank, it wont even try to it jsut does nothing. if i grab the shifter (automatic) and put it in Drive then back to park it will crank, sounds weird?? could it be that the cable is loose or something? also it only does it every know and then.

thanx

A20A1
01-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Check the connection inside the shifter case. It's probrably just dirty

oldsub86
01-10-2003, 03:04 PM
There is a neutral safety switch so you can't crank it when it is in gear. Sometimes they wear out - sometimes they just get dirty. I don't know where it is on the Honda. If it is under the car it will be more likely to get dirty from road crud. You could probably by-pass it but that might not be a good idea from a safety point of view.:D

Mantis88LX
01-10-2003, 03:18 PM
thanx ill check both soon.

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Yea it's probably just the safety switch. My sisters Maxima does that too, usually after sitting overnight. Just a bump of the shifter though and it starts right up everytime

Mantis88LX
01-11-2003, 07:51 AM
does anyone know exactly were the neutral safety switch is?
thanx

SiR
01-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
does anyone know exactly were the neutral safety switch is?
thanx

You have to take out the shifter box with screws, four in all, two in each side when you move the seat all the way back. Ones you take that out, the safety switch is on the driver side of the shifter. Its a small black rectangle box, looks a like a small circuit board. CAREFULLY (cuz i broke the last one and had to make a trip to the junkyard) remove it with two screws, one on eachside and slide it out of it indent. Clean it out and apply a little new grease in them and just put it back and test it first before closing everything back up. Hope that answers most of your questions.

njpeter
01-11-2003, 10:20 AM
it's a good anti-theft measure..ALL of my 3g's do this when the weather is cold..a little back and forth always get's her to crank up. I figured the switch is fragile..it's that crappy white plastic that ages like paper..and it get's pretty hot in that area so the plastic will be brittle

Mantis88LX
01-13-2003, 02:58 PM
how much are new ones?

njpeter
01-13-2003, 05:41 PM
at majestic honda, that puppy sells for $33. If you broke yours:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1987&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=SELECT+LEVER

this is a great resouce as it shows exploded views of about everything.

That switch provide service for backup lights, cruise control, idle speed control and starter lockout, which is why I advise to just leave it alone. I believe it can be adjusted, but that plastic is going to be really brittle right now.