PDA

View Full Version : Weird multiple symptoms on 86 Lxi

daltonovich_
08-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Hey guys, I searched through a lot but couldn't really find anything too specific for this. Dunno what's up but I'll list what the car started doing. First the PGM-FI light has been on since I got the car a couple months ago and the code it's throwing is for the EGR system. A couple days ago then the battery light was coming on and it drained itself totally since then. Also never before today I noticed that the filler neck was leaking some up near the top of the hose. Does anything sound particularly suspect?

I'm wondering if just replacing the EGR valve/assembly is enough of a fix of that system, to address that engine light. And obviously the filler neck is going to have to be done, but would there be any reason the battery light is tied in or could that be separate, i.e. alternator?

Thanks in advance for any input on this

Fixedit
08-30-2015, 08:03 AM
If the egr system is still there, there's a possibility it's a little clogged and you may get away with cleaning the carbon build up under the egr valve (I haven't seen this first hand yet but I've heard it can happen). You can test the valve with a brake-bleeder gun, it'll be able to put a vacuum on the valve. You should be able to see if it holds vacuum or not (it doesn't take much). Next you can take a volt meter/lab scope, back probe the egr position sensor connector (comes off the top of the valve) and make sure the sensor gives proper voltage readings according the position of the valve (which you can control with vacuum). I don't remember the voltage specifications but I'm pretty sure at fully open (holding vacuum) you should read around 4.5V and closer to zero the more you close the valve. You'll have to use the volt meter to find out which wire is your power and which is the signal wire. You'll want to back probe the signal wire with positive test lead and ground wire with negative test lead from the volt meter

daltonovich_
08-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks, I will try to get my hands on the bleeder gun to try this I believe a friend has one.

lude72
09-04-2015, 07:27 AM
if not that ^^ try the lift sensor in the black box... it gos bad too..