PDA

View Full Version : Wheel well trim: Rustmaker!

Einstein
05-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Saw rust peeking out from behind the wheel well trim. Ripped the lousy trim off! The only place on my car with rust is behind this trim, and it's working it's way out front.

Some protection the trim offers, huh? Traps dirt, salt, and water and makes lots of rust.

accordlx
05-21-2002, 07:37 PM
True!! So do the moldings on the fenders and the doors.

88WhiteLX-i
05-21-2002, 09:12 PM
I don't get why the hell Honda put em there in the first place?!?! :mad:

TeKKnoTeKK
05-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Maybe to help with dings? No idea lol...that is a good question

RCracer
05-23-2002, 03:43 AM
The wheelarch lip rubber trims are to stop the paint getting chipped off by flying stones etc on the lip.
The civic I had before my accord had one missing and that arch lip got stone chips all over it from flying debris.
I take the ones on my accord off every couple of months and polish the arch lips,then give them a treatment with a wax based sealant then push the rubber trim back on.
Seems to work fine for me.:smokin: :smokin:

POS carb
05-23-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm getting rust on the passenger side rear on the wheel well's lip. I'm sawing them off and rustprofing the exposed metal

Jerren
05-25-2002, 04:17 PM
yah both of my wheel wells are shot to hell. i guess they are just there to cause heartache and pain. i wonder how much it cost to get that metal replaced or fixed. my rust has eaten all the way through and now there are holes there. my mother really didnt care for this car i guess.

Einstein
05-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Well I went out to "fix" the rust spots with my dremel tool.

On the passenger's side, the rust is limited to a small corner on the outside of the fender, just where it meets the bumper. I dremeled with a wire brush attachment, used touch-up rust converter, and then used color touch-up. The rust was not on the inside, but I cleaned and sprayed rustoleum in there anyway.

Now on the driver's side there was a lot more rust from the inside, but it didn't make it out beyond the lip (at worst it's 1/8th inch from the outer body, about 2 1/2 inches in length.) When I started dremeling with the cutting wheel attachment, dirt started falling out like crazy. There's a plastic flap that must have something to do with the fuel filler, which let go of lots of dirt and rocks when you pulled it away from the lip! Also, on this side of the car two pieces of metal meet at the fenderwell lip, further trapping moisture.

I cut off the bottom 1/2" length of the plastic flap so it wouldn't catch dirt against the inside of the fender lip. Also, I sprayed as much rustoleum in the seam between the two pieces of metal to help prevent further rust.

Worth checking into. Stop the rust before it gets bad!

charlesb2003
07-12-2003, 10:09 AM
after reading this post i went out and took my rubber wheel well trim.. well i took off the passenger's side one cuz the driver's side was so tight i know it was sealing all the moisture out and prolly didn't have any rust under it. the driver's side one had a few bumps in it, and sure enough when i took it off i found rust where the bumps were. i sanded it all off and painted the spots with that rust converter paint that turns black when u put it on rust... then i let that dry and put the rubber strip back on, but before i put it back on i filled it with black silicone. i also siliconed around the edges of the driver's side one. hopefully this will keep them from causing problems in the future...

dXsquared
07-12-2003, 11:08 AM
i dont have ruber trim.. i have a shit load of rust tho! the whole lip is almost missing

Travis

goldadition
07-13-2003, 08:21 PM
my wheel wells are ok not too bad i guess. but any way, i was wonderin if any one else has this problem. i have water that is leaking in behind my pass. side back tail light. which is makin all the paint bubble up and chip off. what would cause this? how could i fix this? any hints or sugg. would be really app. thanks

charlesb2003
07-14-2003, 02:04 PM
i read in another post that that's a common problem on the 86-87's... it's the gasket around the lights that causes it. i haven't had that problem but it seems like taking it out and adding a little black silicone around the gasket and putting it back on after repainting the flaked, bubbled part would help.

btw... black silicone rocks!! :super: