PDA

View Full Version : Leaking sunroof problems

DSPhat
09-01-2015, 02:47 AM
Over the few months I've had with my Honda, I've had a leaky sunroof.

I've tried sealing it with silicon several times (probably not the best job, mind you) and several layers of duct tape on top of that too, and -- well, it still leaks.

I've checked the drainage holes and they're absolutely clear all the way down the A pillars, unless I've missed some other ones.

The roof has sagged as a result of the water pooling up in it as well.

Any advice on what to do with this problem is a help as far as I'm concerned, I'd just like not to have water dumped on my head and down my neck as I drive.

Cheers

Dr_Snooz
09-01-2015, 07:23 PM
You missed the rear drains. I don't have a sunroof, so you'll have to search or wait for someone else to tell you where they are.

DSPhat
09-02-2015, 12:16 AM
You missed the rear drains. I don't have a sunroof, so you'll have to search or wait for someone else to tell you where they are.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Hopefully it isn't raining tomorrow but the thunder in the distance isn't very reassuring.

DSPhat
09-03-2015, 06:26 PM
A quick update: My 3rd gen's leak seems to be fixed, I took a can of compressed air to all of the drains that I could find, the car is no longer humid inside when I get into it, and it no longer dumps water down my neck when I'm driving it.

AccordB20A
09-04-2015, 11:04 PM
haha man i hate that, unexpected shower when you slam on the brakes !!

the rear drain tubes block at the back where they come out under the bumper.

Fixedit
01-13-2016, 01:58 PM
I've had this issue for some time now, but only today when I thought I was dying and the world blowing up when I zipped backwards out of my parking spot did I finally decide to look this up!

Question though, as I don't understand, how does the water get inside the roof? Shouldn't my rubber sunroof seal around the glass be preventing any water from getting inside at all?

MessyHonda
01-13-2016, 08:45 PM
I've had this issue for some time now, but only today when I thought I was dying and the world blowing up when I zipped backwards out of my parking spot did I finally decide to look this up!

Question though, as I don't understand, how does the water get inside the roof? Shouldn't my rubber sunroof seal around the glass be preventing any water from getting inside at all?

the rubber does not stop all water going in. our cars have a channel where the water drains out. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. mine had pine needles and i just cleaned them up. I had to remove the truck panels to get to the rear drain tubes and it had a rubber grommet that is ment for like animals like spiders or anything else from getting in but it can also get blocked up.

Fixedit
01-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Gotcha, interesting design but I like that it was engineering in such a way to take care of water dispersion, instead of purely blocking it out and not having any way for water to escape underneath. Well, on to cleaning out my lines I suppose! And the search for a clean headliner...