PDA

View Full Version : removing rust from headers

Mike's89AccordLX
01-11-2003, 08:27 AM
I just got my pacesetter headers and I put this paint stripper on them to remove the black pain and after I rinsed the stuff off it left a small layer of rust on the headers. I have been grinding the stuff I can from the insides, but I can't get it all off. Is there anything I can do to remove it? Any type of liquid I can spray to remove it? Thanks

89lxi95zx7
01-11-2003, 08:47 AM
I would use a wire wheel on a drill or dremmel and then paint it w/ hi temp engine paint

Mike's89AccordLX
01-11-2003, 08:55 AM
That's what I've been using, but I need to be able to get inside the headers. I can't reach around the bends inside the headers.

dXsquared
01-11-2003, 09:09 AM
go on MSN mike

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
01-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Okay I got this stuff from napa (haven't tried it yet) It's called Naval Jelly and it's a rust dissolver. I guess you have to wear rubber gloves and brush this stuff on and wash it off. I might grind some more of the headers (wider openings) make it wider and more smooth. I did this once already but I don't think it could hurt.

79EK1
01-11-2003, 12:14 PM
You're going to spend a lot of time trying to get the rust off with naval jelly and a wire brush. If you have the money, remove the headers and take them to a shop and get them media blasted and ceramic coated. They blast and coat the inside and outside. It cost me about $120 to get them done locally. The headers will last longer and look better than any paint job can .