PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

apvilla72
01-11-2003, 11:39 AM
where's the possible source of an oil leak that flows thru the exhaust pipe beneath the the engine

AZmike
01-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Do you mean through the exhuast pipe or around the exhaust pipe?

I used to have oil droplets on my oil pan near the exhaust. I replaced the rear main seal and that solved the problem. Of course to get to that seal you need to remove the tranny, clutch assembly, and flywheel.

ACCORD EX
01-11-2003, 04:22 PM
if you mean it's smoking out so it's propably your valve cover gasket ! where do you see the oil exactly ?

MIKE

apvilla72
01-11-2003, 06:25 PM
i can see the oil at exactly the spot where the exhaust pipe bracket is...u can smell burnt oil sometimes while driving...i already replaced the rubber tube coming from the oil pan...oil is still leaking...i guess it must be the rear oil seal...thanks for the replies..........

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
01-11-2003, 06:59 PM
The most common source of oil leaks from our cars is from these areas.

1. Oil Pan Gasket
2. Vale Cover Gasket
3. Oil Filter Housing Bypass Hose (Behind the Engine goes to the Pan)

If it's smoking underneath, you might look at the oil pan gasket.

Claude

AccordEpicenter
01-11-2003, 10:35 PM
try from the top down cuz its hard to tell where its coming from from the bottom. 9 of 10 leaks are caused by those stupid valve cover gaskets. Another source of leaks is the distributor o ring and both can make it look like a rear main leak. Just change the cheapest stuff first, and those are usually it anyways. A valve cover gasket cost me $7 and an o ring like less than $1...