PDA

View Full Version : help me with this gauge idea!!

bobafett
05-21-2002, 10:18 PM
ok i just want white faced gauges, and i would buy them, except i do not want the blue/green indiglo. i want to make my gauges glow red. so what are my choices? from what i understand, if i follow yk86's guide, and just take off the old guages, to be replaced with ONLY the new white guages, and i replace the bulbs with red. that i will have some bright ass glow, but i also want to make sure its even, and i dont know if it would be, since it doesnt need to light up all of the guage now, just the parts with letters showing thru.

anyway, who can help me get red glowy guages going>??

ALSO, does anyone have a scan of there guages i can have? i have an 86 lxi 5speed... if that matters....i assume HB wont make a difference~

86exi
05-22-2002, 08:44 AM
All you have to do is take your dash Speedometer out. Behind it, there are lights with green condoms on them. You can paint the lights red or replace the condoms with red. Very easy to do. I left mine just white.

Good luck!!

bobafett
05-22-2002, 09:30 AM
well that sounds easy then.... does anybody still have a scan of there gauges i can work from? or do you all make your own.. i liked the ones that were just posted, expect it is a kph speedo... lol

how difficult is it to get the perfect circles cut out? i think that will be the worst part for me!! heh

Lockleaf
05-22-2002, 01:55 PM
PM me your email address and I'll send the scans over. i haven't used them yet, but I'm pretty sure that they print out the correct size without adjusting them. I'd be happy to send them to you. Later. Lockleaf.

bobafett
05-22-2002, 11:38 PM
[email protected] is my addy! and thanks in advance for the scan. i will also pm you this so you may get it sooner~!!

HostileJava
05-23-2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by 86exi
All you have to do is take your dash Speedometer out. Behind it, there are lights with green condoms on them. You can paint the lights red or replace the condoms with red. Very easy to do. I left mine just white.

Good luck!!

Where would you get replacement condoms?

bobafett
05-23-2002, 08:34 AM
and when you say to paint the light bulbs, whats the strategy? i assume a certain type of paint works best? what might that be?

86exi
05-23-2002, 01:15 PM
You can buy them at any performance parts store. It will be a lot easier to paint them or leave them white. Your preference

Good luck

bobafett
05-24-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Lockleaf
PM me your email address and I'll send the scans over. i haven't used them yet, but I'm pretty sure that they print out the correct size without adjusting them. I'd be happy to send them to you. Later. Lockleaf.

ygpm!

Lockleaf
05-24-2002, 07:34 PM
The kind of paint that is best for painting a light bulb or a light fixture is called stained glass paint. You can buy it in the crafts part of Walmart. It is specifically made to color glass without really inhibiting the light penetration. It comes in many many colors that other light coloration options don't. It has been the only way I got high quality green lights without paying for them up the wazoo. Later.

bobafett
05-24-2002, 08:58 PM
awesome! just what i needed to know...

do you guys know offhand if thats how i can change the color of the blinkers, and lights in the dash (like heater and ac buttons..) are they just regular bulbs, or is it more complex than that?