PDA

View Full Version : removing keys

buster133
01-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Has anyone else had/have this problem. When the car is cold, once the car is shut off, the ignition key is difficult or impossible to remove. It only does this when it's cold outside, but once the car is warmed up or driven for a while it will come right out. It's a 89 LXi, automatic. I've tried pressing the brake pedal while turning the key or fiddling with the gear shift lever, but still the key still takes a lot of fussing to remove. What gives?

OldSchoolSwap
01-11-2003, 03:49 PM
get some WD40 oil in there. If that doesn't fix it, its time to replace your complete assembly. Locksmith time!

2old_honda
01-11-2003, 05:15 PM
DO NOT USE WD40 ON LOCKS!! IT WILL GUM THEM UP!! what you need is graphite lock lube. you can get it at any hardware store.

Vanilla Sky
01-12-2003, 12:12 AM
yeah... wd-40 will gum them up... it's alright for house locks where they don't see the farther extremes that can (and will) thicken the petroleum distilletes in lubes like WD-40, liquid wrench, and 3-in-1 oil

Coitis1
01-12-2003, 06:49 AM
mine does that sometimes. i just turn the steering wheel a bit in both directions and the key comes right out.

ACCORD EX
01-12-2003, 07:50 AM
you mean you can't get it out or you can't turn it ?

MIKE

buster133
01-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. You know after you turn the car off and in the final turn of they key, you have to push the key and turn it to remove the key, well this is the point the key doesn't want to come out, it will turn all of the way but will not come out. It only does this when it's cold. I wonder if there is a relay or solenoid, similar to the one that prevents shifting from park without pushing the brake pedal?

2old_honda
01-12-2003, 12:16 PM
I dont think there is one. Try and squirt some graphite lock lube in there, that should take care of the problem.

car6289
01-12-2003, 10:54 PM
buster133:
Check the adjustment of the position indicator switch at the shifter, the car must be in park position to provide power to the solenoid in the steering column that allows the final rotation to extricate your key. I was plagued with the same problem. As a matter of fact I still have the problem. I just apply some extra forward force on the shifter (beyond park) before I attempt key removal. I don't know the reasons Honda did this whole interlock thing with the ignition, my previously owned 87 LX had no such monkey motion. A royal pain in the ass. Hope this helps.

MrBen
01-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Yeah WD 40??? Haha, Yeah how about no. ONLY GRAPHITE. And Mine did something like that too, I poured like half the thing of graphite in there, works like a charm now. Now if only my key wasnt bent.

By the way, you know that trunk key thing down on the floor? Mine wont turn...

snapper
01-28-2003, 11:36 AM
I've got this same problem. It's driving me nuts. I've been looking at the circuit schematic in the 89 electrical troubleshooting manual and I think it's the shift lock solenoid that is causing the problem. I've replaced the ignition core thinking that the core wore out and that didn't solve the problem. Like buster133 said, it only happens when it's cold out and driven short distances. The interlock control unit is under the seat next to the ecu. There is also a solonoid on the top of the steering column.

I'm going to check my fuses tonight before I do something drastic. I almost snapped my key off last night. I was so pissed off.

I'm not much with wire schematics, but I wonder what would happen if I just unplugged the interlock control unit or the shift lock solonoid?

AvgWhtMale
01-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Sounds similar to the "Shifter Problems" thread. Does the "P" on the dashboard light up? If not, it might be the neutral safety switch. I have this problem, and it only happens when the car is cold, like after short trips (SAME CONDITIONS AS ABOVE!?!?). The key will push in but not make the final turn. When it's 8:59 and you are stuck in the parking lot outside work, and your boss is anal, it's a pain in the arse...

Monkeys are funny, they are, they are

Coitis1
01-29-2003, 01:28 PM
i have the same problem. i guess mine only happens in the cold too b/c earlier this week we had freezing temps and that was when i had the problem, and then today its like 35 degrees outside and i haven't had any trouble today. but it seems to help if i park my steering wheel straight every time, which takes a little extra backing up and re-entering the parking spot sometimes, but its worth it since i don't have to make my fingers numb by trying to turn the damn key so hard.

smufguy
01-29-2003, 02:51 PM
my uncle has the same problem with his 4g accord. And its only in cold. besides, if u change the tumbler and the lock, u need to change the trunk release lock and the lock beside the driver seat and both the front door locks. And yeah, the ignition and the glove lock. wait what am i sayin????

buster133
01-29-2003, 04:38 PM
I tried adjusting the switch at the shifter as mentioned, but that didn't do anything. I am wondering if maybe the cold causes a problem similar to the main relay with heat in the summer time. I am affraid to make any alterations to try and fix the switch and with this cold weather, I don't feel like visiting the junk yard to get a used one which might sufffer from the same problem. I have a picture of this part if anyone want's to post it for me, just let me know. I can certainly agree with pain of being late for work because of a key that won't come out since it happened three times last week.

luis1578
01-30-2003, 04:41 AM
I'm having the same problem,but now my battery is suffering..I took it to a diagnostic shop and they told me it can be any of these things...The control unit which is located in the dashboard by the steering rack or the shift lock solenoid that is remaining pressed together,instead of letting go when you release it. The shift lock solenoid is located in the shift console...I am setting up an appointment with the Honda dealer this week to get a second opinion...Oh yeah another thing if it is draining anybodys battery,like it is mines remove the #4 fuse in the box under the hood...This fuse controls the horns,brake switch,and the solenoids in the automatic seatbelts....

C900
01-19-2005, 09:40 AM
It's been cold this winter and I've experienced this same problem with my 89 LX. I put the car in park, shut off the engine, try to remove the key and it won't allow me to push the key in all the way and rotate it that final little bit (counterclockwise) to remove it.

I jiggle the shifter, sometimes restart the car, move the shifter back and forth, shut off the engine and try again. So far it's always eventually allowed me to remove the key. But for how long .....?

I think I've noticed that the "P" doesn't light up on the transmission idicator when I have the problem (75% sure).

I've read this thread carefully but I'm still confused. Is the problem a lock lubrication issue (fixable with graphite) or is a transmission shifter sensor flaky? I see the "shift lock solenoid" mentioned in this thread.

If it's a sensor in the shifter column, how do I diagnose it and fix it?

Appreciate any clarification.

HostileJava
01-19-2005, 09:59 AM
You may have a cold soldier connection somehwere in the shifter or the ignition switch. If it's really cold the soldier will contract and not make contact. The easist way to fix this is to just reflow the soldier by heating it up and letting it cool down again.

C900
01-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the quick response and please excuse the newbie question but what do you mean by "soldier"?

:sad2:

You may have a cold soldier connection somehwere in the shifter or the ignition switch. If it's really cold the soldier will contract and not make contact. The easist way to fix this is to just reflow the soldier by heating it up and letting it cool down again.

BlueBead
01-19-2005, 12:48 PM
he means 'solder' like when you solder a wire connection..
I guess with that avatar you're thinking about lil soldiers huh HJ? j/k

HostileJava
01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Haha, you'll have to excuse me, my spelling sucks to begin with and I'm just getting over a cold so I didn't catch that. It's supposed to be Solder. As in this stuff:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/solder.jpg

Edit: Blue, you must have posted that a second before I did.

BlueBead
01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
sure did man! then I was like; 'What the hell? page #2?!?!'

C900
01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
:)
Ah-ha, now I get it - solder.

Thanks again and hope you get well soon.

Haha, you'll have to excuse me, my spelling sucks to begin with and I'm just getting over a cold so I didn't catch that. It's supposed to be Solder. As in this stuff:

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/solder.jpg

Edit: Blue, you must have posted that a second before I did.