PDA

View Full Version : MSD blaster coil 2

Xaisk
09-16-2015, 08:19 AM
I was thinking about going with a blaster coil 2 as I had some great success with the SS that I put in my old 3rd gen a couple of years ago. I cant seem to find a definitive answer but do I need a ballast resistor installed with it? Installing it wont be hard but I dont know if ill need that to keep from frying anything.

Oldblueaccord
09-17-2015, 06:31 AM
I was thinking about going with a blaster coil 2 as I had some great success with the SS that I put in my old 3rd gen a couple of years ago. I cant seem to find a definitive answer but do I need a ballast resistor installed with it? Installing it wont be hard but I dont know if ill need that to keep from frying anything.

See if you can find the specs for the coil. I know the stock one is like 1.4 Ohms off hand. Most of those performance coils run about 1 Ohm.

I just bought a stock replacement UF63 and it Ohmed out .4 on the primary. I havent tried it I dont know if the ignitor could handle it. I have emailed Standard parts and see what they say about it.

Xaisk
09-18-2015, 08:57 PM
See if you can find the specs for the coil. I know the stock one is like 1.4 Ohms off hand. Most of those performance coils run about 1 Ohm.

I just bought a stock replacement UF63 and it Ohmed out .4 on the primary. I havent tried it I dont know if the ignitor could handle it. I have emailed Standard parts and see what they say about it.

This is what they had posted to their website. Im not very fluent with electricity. I can wire things together and what not but I dont have much understanding of ohms or really any electrical term.

Coil Specs
Turns ratio: 100:1
Primary resistance: .7 OHMs
Secondary resistance: 4.5K OHMs
Inductance: 8 mH
Maximum voltage: 45,000 Volts
Peak current: 140 mA
Spark duration: 350 uS
Weight: N/A

Oldblueaccord
09-19-2015, 07:12 PM
How Ignition Systems Work (http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/howig.htm)

kinda wordy but this will get you started.

The primary resistance is the one to key in on. Thats half what a stock coil runs.

2ndTimeHondaOwner
09-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Don't think this is the correct place but it about the MSD6. Does anyone know if the MSD6 would replace the electronics in the dizzy? The little square box and magnetic pickup on mine may be going out, I'd rather just use the MSD system if I could. Thanks.

Oldblueaccord
09-20-2015, 01:40 AM
Don't think this is the correct place but it about the MSD6. Does anyone know if the MSD6 would replace the electronics in the dizzy? The little square box and magnetic pickup on mine may be going out, I'd rather just use the MSD system if I could. Thanks.

You would still need a good pickup to trigger the box.

2ndTimeHondaOwner
09-20-2015, 12:11 PM
You would still need a good pickup to trigger the box.

Doesn't the MSD6 have its own magnetic pickup? Maybe I'm thinking of a different one, would love to run only MSD if I could. I have a 15 year bonus from work coming soon, gives me 4K to play with

2oodoor
09-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Any ignition has to have a trigger:crank sensor or cam sensor or magnetic pickup or Hall effect pickup or IR pickup:TDC r ference preferably at me minimum< something reading each revolution of the crankshaft