PDA

View Full Version : Odd hesitation at all times.

1989 DX R
01-11-2003, 04:14 PM
I just replaced my plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and distributor today, and I now have really bad hesitation when I accelerate and when I'm crusing. I do have to adjust my valves, as they are clicking a bit, but I can't tell if my timing is off (I tried playing with it, but nothing fixed it) or if there is something else wrong. :(

ACCORD EX
01-11-2003, 04:23 PM
have you adjust your ignition timing after changing the distributer ?

MIKE

1989 DX R
01-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Yes.

doug
01-11-2003, 08:01 PM
not sure if a dx type r has a carb or efi but if your model is carb then look for accelerator pump weakness. test by looking down primary barrel with car off and blip the throttle linkage, you should see a steady stream of fuel squirt from the pump tube.

1989 DX R
01-11-2003, 09:42 PM
:lol Its a carbed DX. It's delivering fuel alright, it seems to be either a timing problem or an ignition problem.

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-11-2003, 09:51 PM
At one time mine would hesitate horribly everytime I took off from a stop, or really anytime I put the engine under load. You know what it was? The spark plugs! The last time I had taken them out, I didn't clean my hands, and I got dirt and grease in those tiny little ribs in the porcelain part of the plug. It caused the spark to jump and ground on the head, thus not firing in the cylinder. If I opened the hood at night while it was running, I could see the sparks arching between the wires and the head, and it went ZAP, lol. I replaced the spark plugs and was sure my hands were clean and the plugs were spiffy clean when I put them in, and I've never had that problem since (that was almost a year ago).

So is the porcelain on the plugs nice and clean? Might want to check that too. Otherwise, it could be the distributor you put on is bad (was it used?). Could try putting the old one back in and see if that particular problem goes away.

1989 DX R
01-12-2003, 09:11 AM
The plugs were nice and clean...but I'll check that out. The distributor was brand spankin new, so I doubt that's the problem. I'm starting to think its a plug problem.

1989 DX R
01-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Ok, so I think I have it nailed down. It seems to happen about 2500 rpm, when I'm just rolling/cruising...not accelerating or when I have the throttle open. I'm thinking I can adjust the timing a bit probably, and then compensate my spark a bit too.

I'll have the shop look at it tomorrow when I get the valves adjusted.

cruznz
01-13-2003, 12:18 PM
are the plug gaps set correctly????

1989 DX R
01-13-2003, 01:33 PM