PDA

View Full Version : Electric Antenna Maintenance

Monzta
09-17-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm lucky to have an original electric roof antenna/aerial on my '89 Aerodeck.

Lately though I've noticed that the motor down in the footwell sounds dry and in need of lubrication. I guess water has made it's way down the antenna shaft from the roof over the years and is doing its worst deep in the bowels of the mechanism and motor.

Is there any way, with the antenna in situ of draining any water from it and more importantly, getting oil or grease in to lubricate and protect the innards? Any drain plugs or access holes?

Dr_Snooz
09-17-2015, 07:59 PM
First, realize that you're fighting entropy and entropy always wins. Know also that the motor already has a drain. You can try removing the assembly to lube it up and look for trouble, but you'll be saying lots of Hail Marys to make up for all the swearing, rage, throwing tools, etc. It's a real mother and frankly, not very effective. I've done it.

As far as I've been able to tell, the antenna mast itself develops friction over time. I think that smog and other environmental pollutants pit the shiny metal, making it rough. Thus the strain you notice in the motor. Silicone spray works for about two cycles, then wears off and is useless. A better solution is white grease, but that's messy and could ruin your clothes. Leaving the assembly down is an even better solution, but precludes using the radio. Leaving the antenna up risks destroying it in a car wash or something and you really, really don't want to destroy it. New ones don't exist and junkyard replacements are all destroyed too. If you are hyper OCD like me and spend months of Saturdays searching every yard diligently for a working mast, you might actually find one. Then you'll break it trying to remove it. A few more months and you'll find another one to break. Then another. On the fourth, you might manage it. Then you'll have to install it. God help you. I know a number of members have trying installing replacement power antenna masts, but as far as I know, I'm the only one who's actually achieved it and had it work. Just preserve your working antenna at all costs. If you absolutely must raise and lower the antenna regularly, then lubing up the mast with white grease and extending a helping hand out the window each time you raise and lower it is the best compromise solution. Just keep some paper towels handy to clean the grease off your fingers.

Fixedit
09-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Yeah, mine was broken before I got the car. I don't use the radio often, but I just pull the antenna out by hand. My switch turns on the motor (just no antenna movement).

Really it's no big deal

Monzta
09-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your advice guys. I tried removing the antenna from another Aerodeck I was breaking for parts and ended up cracking the windscreen trying to get the damn thing out. So yeah, those things are in there for good as far as I'm concerned.

If I can get some lubricant into mine then I might just buy it a year or two extra. I don't really listen to the radio much so mine is almost always permanently down but I like the idea of knowing that it works when I need it.

Dr_Snooz
09-18-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't really listen to the radio much so mine is almost always permanently down but I like the idea of knowing that it works when I need it.

Ditto that!

KenshinZero
09-24-2015, 05:47 AM
I know this is a dead post, but wouldn't a 90's Civic antenna work? my neighbor has a 90's civic and it looks identical.

Fixedit
09-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Holy moly look what I found

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ptd/5244503054.html

86-89 power antenna, motor, everything you need for $100!

Monzta
09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Great find. That won't sit about for long.

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Oh crap! Someone grab it quick!