PDA

View Full Version : on the verge of panic need hp help fast.

superaccord
05-22-2002, 12:06 AM
ok, hears the deal if any of you were wondering why i need hp by the 31 of this month. ok the tracks have opened, and every other friday night they allow street racers to race, and get et times and everything. well, my buddy has been down there and raced the past couple of weeks while my car has been down(which it no longer is :D ) my buddy owns a 90 civic sedan with a D16Z6, with an intake. well he ran a 17.3 here in colorado on 17's. he has a gutted interior, and no metal in his bumpers just skin. i used to hang with him before he toook out his interior, and bumpers now he takes me. he keeps rubbing it in my face:mad: so i have to pull him or atleast hang with his times.i have an exaust and an intake, i am putting on a new timing belt tomorrow, and a new water pump and ac belt. to free up enough horse to pull him i have to think of something fast. so here is what i came up with: taking out my power steering, resetting my ecu,stripping my interior, but leaving the metal in my bumpers(this has already saved me once) and either getting a header, or a grind cam to mild. i only have the money for one or the other. is there anything else i could do other than those to ta give some horse. my time isnt very long to recieve a cam, so my options are tight.what to do?btw its fuel injected.are there pulleys or something or, hell i dont know, that is why i am begging for opinions.
thanks,
matt

A20A1
05-22-2002, 12:27 AM
The cam will be the setting for your engines performance... mods like the intake and exhaust, will help the cam work to it's fullest potential.

To me the Cam is the soul... the inner personality of the car... :)
and it's the #1 mod... but since you have time constraints you don't want to be left without a working car... I think Justanothermike said the had a spare cam ready to be shipped... I would send him your core and the $$$ for the regrind... then he can ship the already made cam to you. Just make sure you adjust the valves to the proper specs... I know, cause I made the mistake of retaining the stock valve clerances... and ended up finding the "CAM CARD" later on... :crying:

So you decided to remove the power steering... why not remove the A/C too? the A/C compressor is pretty heavy... and so is the metal bracket that secures it to the block.

1988starter
05-22-2002, 04:11 AM
buy an accel coil it will give you a little and it is as quick as going to the store.

Chrome_thangs
05-22-2002, 01:28 PM
That's a good idea get an Accel coil, and step up your wires to 8mm ones. Also make the gap on your plugs bigger. This will give you a nice little energize.

AccordChemist
05-22-2002, 02:42 PM
damn, if hes runnin 17's then you should be able to beat him stock with your lxi....maybe you just need a full tune-up...correct me if im wrong but dont lxi's run 16's stock?

Hoshizakido
05-22-2002, 07:42 PM
not in colorado

guaynabo89
05-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Remove the ac and power steering belts.

If you have big wheels try finding some stock ones to borrow.

Make sure your engine is entirely tuned up.

Octane boost or race gas will help a little.

HondaSi88
05-22-2002, 08:04 PM
use 93gas and also bump your fuel pressure up!
when i had my fuel reg I burnt alot of gas but it was worth it!
turn it up and when u are done turn it back to normal!!!!
Don't blow yourself up

3rdgenlxi
05-22-2002, 08:54 PM
Um,

how come nobody suggested getting a test pipe made just for the races. Just unbolt your cat and bolt in the test pipe.. quick hp for little bux.

you might also want to get your injectors professionally cleaned... most tune up shops offer this service for 50 - 70 bux. It can make all the other mods work to your advantage.

88WhiteLX-i
05-22-2002, 10:01 PM
Holy shit Lxi's run 16's stock??? That's awesome, I've never timed my car but it seems like a number to achieve. I want one of those timers that you put in your car and they are suppose to time everything from the dashboard. They cost like $200 bucks, any one heard of em'???

superaccord
05-22-2002, 10:36 PM
thanks you guys a bunch. i have been going over a few things with my club members(execpt for the one im gonna race) to find out more ways to gain horse. i removed my power steering and my ac. there is a noticeable difference, and i never used my ac, and my power steering hardly worked cause it had a leak and it was hard to keep up with. i like it better this way anyhow, its something new, and you feel like you can control the car more. i have thought about getting a test pipe made to replace my cat, that would be nice cause i would just leave it on all the time since i dont have emisions and when i moved to denver i would just put my cat back on. i think since time is so critical, im gonna go with a header, see if i can get my flywheel shaved, i heard all napas do it, and not for very much either. im also thinking about advancing my timing a little, not so much that the care idle funny though. i think ill take him. also , is there any way that i can get my main pully shaved too, instead of having a pully for three belts just get the other two belt pullies cut off and machined to where i only have the main pully. i took all the other shit out. god t was so so heavy. well, keep up some ideas, and ill keep ya informed on how i do, and what all i have done.
thanks,
matt

damackz
05-23-2002, 06:37 PM
haha best response i heard so far lol :D but u forgot about the flames coming from the exhaust!!! but yeah man Run super rich, like get the highest octane gas u can find and add octane booster to it, adjust ur A/f Mixture screw to run rich, headers won't help u gain much power i mean go with the straight pipe and ur looking at 10-20 hp gain peace!:pimp:

88WhiteLX-i
05-23-2002, 08:39 PM
:lol :lol

superaccord
05-24-2002, 12:36 AM
that was interesting. thanks for wasting your time to make us all laugh:werd: my header comes in on this coming wednesday, and i have to adjust my valves, and strip out my interior. ill be ready for the 31 i hope. my nitto rubber comes in on monday also. i just dropped $600 in struts about a week and a half ago, and now $250 in nittos and $156 on a header. all in a 3 week time span. nice!i'll keep ya posted
matt

superaccord
06-08-2002, 06:12 AM
Sup guys, I got my car down to the track, but it wasnt raceable. i still needed to get time to adjust my valves, and my header didnt come in on time. i did get my nittos though. I finally got my header, and installed it. i have to replace the o2 sensors. its running like shit. hopefully i can race on the 14, gotta get my damn car running better though. I think i have to replace some ball joints.:( damn
matt

fromerly89Exi
06-08-2002, 01:12 PM
nobody mentioned advancing your timing right? With an Coil wires and nice pretty plugs, you may wanna jump your timing up as few degrees.

fromerly89Exi
06-08-2002, 01:13 PM
;)not too many though, you'll lose top end power

POS carb
06-09-2002, 09:53 PM
crash your accord into the civic, your car with the steel bumpers wins! yaaaayy! proceed to victory followed by a hasty escape in your drivable car

88WhiteLX-i
06-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Or how about you go and trade your 3g in and buy a Tank and just run him over??:huh: :confused: :lol

1988starter
06-10-2002, 02:28 PM
If your header problem is no low end then a bigh rocket like feeling after 3 or 4 k followed by enginelight then switch the O2 sensor wires put white to green and green to white. I rember on the origonal board lots of people had the problem

Jerren
06-10-2002, 04:36 PM
hey thats the problem i face!!!! maybe i should switch mine too!!

1988starter
06-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Give it a shot Jarren just switch the connectors it is too much of a pain in the but to switch the sensors them selves. Hey if it works let me know because it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing I help a fellow owner.:D

Jerren
06-10-2002, 05:53 PM
should i just be able to pull them out by hand? or do i need some tool power to just switch the connectors?

1988starter
06-10-2002, 06:08 PM
You should be able to do it by hand just lift the little plastic flaps that hold them together I can get some picts if you need them

1988starter
06-10-2002, 06:10 PM
You can also IM me on AOL if you want to just go back and forth

Jerren
06-10-2002, 06:31 PM
i really don't come on 3 geez while i'm at home. i just log on while i'm at work (like now) if i have any additional questions hopefully you will be on whenever i log on. but you dont have to stay up for the next 24 hours or any thing

1988starter
06-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Don't worry I won't

superaccord
06-11-2002, 07:46 AM
so jarred, you had that problem too with the boggyness? so all i have to do is switch the white and green wires? hey, bro? i need some pics