PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about my 88

Video
09-20-2015, 04:03 AM
Hey guys. Picked up an 88 accord from a friend for $200.

So yesterday i tried getting it to run right, did a cap rotor, plugs and wires. Its carberated, and the carb was supposedly new so i didnt mess with it.

Still couldnt get it to run right so i inspected the carb only to find out one of the levers/actuater is broken, and further fiddling revealed the whole thing really just isnt right. Ive never had anything older than TBI but it didnt take a genious to realize my genious friend fudged it up. I compared it to one from a youtuve video and it absolutely does not function like the one i saw. The whole car has been hacked and now i need to clean up the mess.

I love the fact that this car is carberated even if it is slow. It just makes it that much cooler imo.

My first question is, will the weber carb kit work on my 88? Instead of fixing the current one id rather upgrade it anyway. This one looks like a damn nightmare. The how-to here on this forum shows for a slightly different setup. I have 2 vacuum lines coming from my distrib not one for example.

Second question is, how hard is it to find a head for one of these? One of the spark plugs is cross threaded slightly thanks to genious friend. The spark plug goes in all the way and very snug but it didnt enjoy it. Is it expensive to have a machine shop fix this?

And third, theres a cable that goes straight down into the transmission located back towards the firewall and the thing just came right out...looks like a throttle cable almost...its not the clutch cable.

Dr_Snooz
09-20-2015, 09:21 PM
If the carb is new, as in purchased from someone competent and not rebuilt by said friend, then it probably got slapped on and not tuned at all. It's worth spending some time learning to tune it as you'll be doing that anyway with a new Weber. You may be able to get it running very well for next to nothing.

The torque spec for a spark plug is only 13 ft-lbs, so you don't need it to hold especially well. Try some anti-seize and see if it smooths installation at all. Failing that, a shop should be able to install a Heli-Coil thread repair for a lot less than a head replacement. Properly done, it should last as long as you need it to.

The cable you reference is most likely the speedo cable.