PDA

View Full Version : Dyno results are in

rice_cracker
09-22-2015, 01:48 AM
https://youtu.be/ulse5duDJ0c

So in a nutshell:

123.1Hp at 6400rpm and 115 ft-lb Tq at 5400 rpm at the wheels.

Over 100Hp from 4700 rpm to redline.

This is the initial tune and jetting. Haven't played with cam or ignition timing yet, nor chokes or jetting. This is literally the engine out of the box.

This is running 38mm chokes, 4.5 auxiliary venturis, 60F9 idle jets, 145 main jets and 170 air correction jets (and F16 emulsion tubes). Pump jets are 50 with no bleed/bypass.

Some basic details on the engine:

-Honda A20 bored to 1979cc,
-10.6:1 compression ratio,
-Dual 45DCOE Weber Carburetors running 38mm chokes,
-Delta "282" camshaft (230.8 deg measured intake duration at 50 thou lift; .2743"/.2747" in/ex max lift; currently set to straight up, introducing a calculated 1.2 degree retard due to head milling),
-Hurricane Extractors to 2.25" Mandrel bent "straight-through" exhaust system
-Head and both Manifolds "ported and polished"
-Valves relieved
-Lightened flywheel
-Clutchnet Stage 2 pressure-plate
-Balanced crankshaft, flywheel, pressure-plate
-Statically balanced con-rods, pistons

Engine was running on 95 RON fuel, and you can see the worst case mechanical noise was only around 20%. Dyno was at sea level, intake temps around 35C as per the data table.

(If you can't see a large enough image, right-click and select 'view image' to see it in my photobucket where you should be able to see full-res)

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/zoldrin/DYNO001_zpsgx9kd12q.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/zoldrin/DYNO003%20-%20Copy_zpsh9ibqy2e.jpg

Plans for the engine are to spend a few more hours on the dyno, testing 40mm and 37mm chokes, trying more advance on the cam timing 0degrees and perhaps +2, and fine tuning the jetting for a slightly leaner burn through the peak torque region. A custom air box with cold air intake will be getting done at this stage too. Long term future plans are integra gear box, LSD and aluminium flywheel. Have the teg box now with bearing and synchro kit, but need a donor bell housing to start the tranny build (long story but my current tranny is an ET-1/A20 hybrid).

It's been a long road, but finally getting to the icing on the cake.

rice_cracker
10-24-2015, 12:17 AM
70 views and no comments jesus christ! Doesn't anyone here want to discuss A20 performance? Maybe I should pretend to be an accord and re-post this on the other forum...

MessyHonda
10-24-2015, 01:53 PM
the forum has died down since everyone just post on facebook group. looks like a good start. I owned a 10.5 compression A20 and it was making 160whp with 136 torque. so sounds like you will need to tune the carbs to make more power.

rice_cracker
10-24-2015, 07:22 PM
the forum has died down since everyone just post on facebook group. looks like a good start. I owned a 10.5 compression A20 and it was making 160whp with 136 torque. so sounds like you will need to tune the carbs to make more power.

It's horrible how face-book is killing off forums. People coming along in the future aren't going to be able to research, find and learn valuable information through face-book groups unlike with forums. It is a real shame. Look what happened to the wealth of information on onecamonly.com... dead. Probably better for forums to not have official facebook groups in my opinion.

Anyway 160whp is quite a lot, what induction and exhaust setup did you have? Do you have a build thread I can check out?

Oldblueaccord
10-24-2015, 09:00 PM
I think the post just got missed. I never remember seeing it. Plus stateside your posted at like midnight.

I havent modified my car's motor so I know little about it, If I know little on a subject I dont make comments on what I dont know about.

Facebook may be a great thing but i prefer to be anon. Couple posters on here were talking about smoking incense and shit like that a few years ago,mail fraud etc.I made a big decisions in my life early that I didn't want to be part of that life style.

Looks like a great build!

MessyHonda
10-24-2015, 11:47 PM
It's horrible how face-book is killing off forums. People coming along in the future aren't going to be able to research, find and learn valuable information through face-book groups unlike with forums. It is a real shame. Look what happened to the wealth of information on onecamonly.com... dead. Probably better for forums to not have official facebook groups in my opinion.

Anyway 160whp is quite a lot, what induction and exhaust setup did you have? Do you have a build thread I can check out?

its just easier to post stuff on facebook but all the information gets buried and no way to look up old post.

here is the thread you are looking for. I did not build it but i did buy it from the original owner. it was a fun car to drive(coupe) never took it to the track but im positive the car would of hit mid 14s. when i bought it he took everything off and put stock items back on. I used a b16 manifold with 68mm TB. For exhaust it had a DC header to a straight pipe and stock cat back to a dual tip muffler.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/performance/57136-open-loop-cam-test-dyno-results.html

Dr_Snooz
10-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Don't get me started on FB. I went on some months ago just to refresh my contempt. The narcissism was so overwhelming I spent the rest of the evening stomping around and swearing. It was just a bunch of mindless idiots trying to convince each other that their lives matter by posting all the pointless shit they do. ISIS is dismembering children in front of their parents. More soldiers are committing suicide than dying in battle. Scientists wonder if humanity will survive another 100 years. Obama is doing his damnedest to start WWIII and I'm supposed to give a flying fuck about your latest selfie!? Are you kidding me? These idiots will be busy taking pics of themselves while they're herded into the camps and "liking" each other when the showers come on...

Unbelievable!

Sorry. Back to the matter at hand. Performance isn't really my thing, so I don't have much to offer you in that regard. Congrats on your good numbers.

Hazwan
10-26-2015, 03:38 AM
Hahaha the only reason why I'm there is to stay in touch with my car friends. And the 3geez group there sucks. I left twice. But eventually joined again just to watch to idiotic posts and arguments there and laugh at them but OP you knew what I would say about your dyno result and stuff so I didn't even bother replying here.

rice_cracker
10-26-2015, 04:41 AM
It's all good Hazwan, I know you know I know what you would say ;)

So Messy your the guy who had that welded up head? Interesting! Didn't Ryan buy that? You've given me hope that I have more HP potential to unlock. I think my cam is choking from too small choke and exhaust header as Rich mentioned.

To the others thanks for the responses (I don't know where the hell that incense smoking comment came from haha!)

Hahaha the only reason why I'm there is to stay in touch with my car friends. And the 3geez group there sucks. I left twice. But eventually joined again just to watch to idiotic posts and arguments there and laugh at them but OP you knew what I would say about your dyno result and stuff so I didn't even bother replying here.

gp02a0083
10-26-2015, 12:45 PM
AFR is a bit rich after 3700 and is ok after 4800 rpms, but also look at your knock %'age. it increases just around the point where your AFR reaches the 11.5 range. i'd pull back the ignition timing a little bit or check your advance on the dizzy, 20% seems like a lot to me and increases drastically within the 5000 - 5500 range ( where tq drops before the cross point ).

Oldblueaccord
10-30-2015, 05:13 PM
What is that a knock sensor reading? Are they accurate at high RPMS? Never seen it before and google is not helping me.

2oodoor
10-31-2015, 03:15 AM
Sweet! Yours are some of all my favorite builds!

rjudgey
11-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Open Loop Head was interesting can't say I'm a fan of welded up chambers there is a chance that it could cause cracks or parts could break away but also ore than anything is the shape of the chamber. The std Honda shape is much better for a nice consistent burn and to be honest 10.5:1 is nothing to write home about. You can get that just by milling the head down 1mm and if you go another .5mm on the head and .5mm on the block you'd get nearly 11:1 the larger pistons should have also increased CR ratio but being stock they most likely had larger dish on the crowns to make sure you didn't get too much of a dramatic improvement in power.

160whp isn't bad though and makes me think just howmuch further they could have gone with Bigger lighter thinner valves, better exhaust system etc. fact they're using 1mm bigger pistons than me, but I've got a higher CR ratio but also a 2.5" system with 2" downpipes but also stock header just ported and cleaned up inside does make me think there's definitely a lot more than 200bhp out of these without needing a turbo.

My 200bhp @ 7600rpm versus their 190bhp @ 6500-7000 and my 160lbft at 5500rpm versus their 157lbft @ 6000rpm is interesting as I've a similar camshaft but I'm able to develop similar torque much lower down it's also not so up and down, the dyno looks very peaky which to me suggests it's not quite 100% matched with the components they have fitted I think mostly the exhaust is the limiting factor it's just too small. Possibly the intake could have helped if they'd used ITB's instead certainly give a smoother delivery and quicker revving engine with a little more bhp at the top end with the larger cam they had fitted.

I really would like to get to grips with a better valve setup on my heads, combined with higher Compression pistons with 1mm over bore, combine that with custom Header with 1.75" primaries and 2" secondaries into my 2.5" system, add a pair of Weber DCO/SP 48's with 48mm butterflies and 44mm chokes and possibly a slightly more aggressive camshaft or at least same camshaft with 1mm more lift all round I think I'd easily see 220-230bhp at the crank.