PDA

View Full Version : UK newbie Aerodeck fan

skattrd
09-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi all, I'm a bit of a petrol head and have a few too many cars, one of my most recent acquisitions is a 1987 Accord Aerodeck EX injection. I always loved the shape, have a soft spot for 3 door estates and pop-up headlights.

I've not had it long, but it has very quickly become my daily as I find it a really nice car to drive, velour interior, automatic gears and a decent engine (A20A4 I think). The bodywork needs a bit of attention in places, but for now I' just enjoying driving it.

Monzta
09-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Hi there,

Great to see another Aerodecker here. And a UK one at that. :)

Fantastic cars aren't they?

skattrd
09-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Cheers, they are great cars, proper engineering, built to last unlike a lot of cars produced nowadays.

Monzta
09-27-2015, 01:19 PM
They are indeed. They come apart and go back together nicely.

It's just the dreaded tinworm that you need to worry about.

MessyHonda
10-03-2015, 03:53 PM
welcome to the site. you guys are very lucky we americans never got the Aerodeck. wish I could import one but cost will be insane.

skattrd
10-04-2015, 02:32 AM
Cheers guys, yesterday I was slightly naughty ...

The blue one is not as good as I had hoped and needs more work than I wanted to do, but these don't come up for sale that often, especially in the spec I want, fuel inj, auto with cruise. The main issue with the blue one is the paintwork and handling. It needs a cv joint desperately, when that is done I can see what else it needs doing ... Then I will decide which one is staying ... I have quite a few other cars apart from these and can't justify 2 Aerodecks ;)

Monzta
10-04-2015, 03:19 AM
Cheers guys, yesterday I was slightly naughty ...

The blue one is not as good as I had hoped and needs more work than I wanted to do, but these don't come up for sale that often, especially in the spec I want, fuel inj, auto with cruise. The main issue with the blue one is the paintwork and handling. It needs a cv joint desperately, when that is done I can see what else it needs doing ... Then I will decide which one is staying ... I have quite a few other cars apart from these and can't justify 2 Aerodecks ;)

Oh wow, you bought Harriet? Cool. :rockon:

You must have got one of the first EXis with cruise. My late '86 one didn't have it.

skattrd
10-04-2015, 03:49 AM
Thanks, my red Jan '87 one doesn't have cruise, the blue one (formerly known as Harriet) registered April '87 does.

Do you know if cruise was an optional extra or standard fit depending on production year?

skattrd
10-04-2015, 03:52 AM
welcome to the site. you guys are very lucky we americans never got the Aerodeck. wish I could import one but cost will be insane.

For us to import a car from the US costs around £1000. I would assume it's similar going the other way, plus whatever the car needs to get it legal over there. You'd want a European LHD one though wouldn't you ;)

Monzta
10-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Thanks, my red Jan '87 one doesn't have cruise, the blue one (formerly known as Harriet) registered April '87 does.

Do you know if cruise was an optional extra or standard fit depending on production year?

As far as I'm aware it wasn't an option on early EXis but was standard fit part way into production (early/mid '87 going by your two cars). But I could be wrong.

Monzta
10-04-2015, 04:04 AM
For us to import a car from the US costs around £1000. I would assume it's similar going the other way, plus whatever the car needs to get it legal over there. You'd want a European LHD one though wouldn't you ;)

I think it costs about $2500 to import into the USA which is about £1650. I think they have a higher import tax than we do.

British RHD cars are for some strange reason cheaper than the ones on the continent despite ours being generally better specced. I can never work out why ours are so cheap. There's a lot of love for them but no one wants to dig deep into their pockets when one comes up for sale. :(