PDA

View Full Version : Help! Get me out from under the rental car bill! 5 speed manual transmission 89 LX

senor honda
09-29-2015, 05:28 AM
Help! Get me out from under the rental car bill!

I have a carbed '89 Accord LX A20A1 engine, serial number 3536572 with 5 speed manual transmission that has no sticker on it.
The 5 speed manual transmission that came out of my car has 21 splines, and a pilot shaft end of 12/16" dia. (about 3/4") and a tip length of 3/8"
I can see by the wear marks on my original transmissions pilot shaft that it had a fairly tight fit into a hole
in the end of the crank.

The last manual transmission I have had to pay return shipping on had a much smaller pilot shaft end around 9/16" dia. with 21 splines and a tip length of 1/4".
It had a sticker on the bell housing that said A2Q6.

The newly arrived replacement transmission (from a different company) has a pilot shaft end around 9/16" with 21 splines and a tip length of 1/4"
Same as the 5 speed that I just sent back. It has no sticker at all. They say it is the correct
manual transmission for my car, just like the other company said.

I know the small pilot shaft will fit into the much bigger hole.
I don't feel good about that amount of slop in the pilot shaft if this goes into the hole in the end of my crank.
If It breaks after 6 months warranty, it will cost me another $600 plus shipping.
Plus another rental car bill.

What do I need to tell the transmission people so I can get the same pilot shaft diameter as the 5 speed manual
transmission that was in the car?

senor honda
09-29-2015, 09:31 AM
Car is '89 Honda Accord LX with carbureted engine.
Block is A20A1 serial number 3536572

pictures will take a minute to load

This was in my car:
Pilot shaft tip measures 12/16" dia. (almost 8/10") the part fitting into the end of the crank,
not counting the angled area is 3/8" long.
The pilot shaft is supported in the end of the crank. You can see polished wear marks.
The pilot shaft tip is almost out to the edge of the splines.
Inline image

senor honda
09-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Car is '89 Honda Accord LX with carbureted engine.
Block is A20A1 serial number 3536572

Picture is big and will take a minute to load.
This is what you sent me that has a pilot shaft tip that is too small. It will not be supported in the end of the crank.
Pilot shaft tip is only 9/16" dia. (barely more than 1/2") the part fitting into the end of the crank,
not counting the angled area is 1/4" long.
The pilot shaft is NOT supported in the end of the crank.
The pilot shaft tip is NOT even close to the edge of the splines.

Inline image

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2015, 08:42 PM
I don't think it matters. A2Q6 and A2K5 transmissions are interchangeable. The supporting bearings are inside the trans.

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
I will mention that you should test as much of the replacement trans as possible before installing. If they are coming from a wrecker's, they can be in pretty bad shape.

senor honda
10-01-2015, 02:14 AM
I went by the dealer today. Parts guy's computer drawing shows and says it should have an E2R6-020 transmission.
I have no knowledge of A2K5 transmission.

I don't think it matters. A2Q6 and A2K5 transmissions are interchangeable. The supporting bearings are inside the trans.

Oldblueaccord
10-01-2015, 10:57 AM
I went by the dealer today. Parts guy's computer drawing shows and says it should have an E2R6-020 transmission.
I have no knowledge of A2K5 transmission.

There might be a pilot bearing/bushing that is available for our cars.

Does your flywheel have a bearing inside it right now?

My car does NOT have a pilot bearing but I never measured the shaft when I have had it out.

EDIT:

More Information for TIMKEN 102CC (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1119952&cc=1169737&jnid=522&jpid=0)

I found this on Rockauto list as an 1987 Prelude.

senor honda
10-01-2015, 08:18 PM
My 89 Accord LX with carb does not have a pilot bushing. The hole in the crank is about 12/16".
There is no bearing in the flywheel, there is only a hole in the end of the crank.
The transmission that was in the car had a pilot shaft of about 12/16"

There might be a pilot bearing/bushing that is available for our cars.

Does your flywheel have a bearing inside it right now?

My car does NOT have a pilot bearing but I never measured the shaft when I have had it out.

EDIT:

More Information for TIMKEN 102CC (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1119952&cc=1169737&jnid=522&jpid=0)

I found this on Rockauto list as an 1987 Prelude.

2oodoor
10-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I brought this up before while discussing auto to manual swap (do auto cars have pilot bushing in the crank was the question I think) and was told a pilot bushing the was not needed because of the design of the 5 speed input shaft bearing retention. I don't buy it though.
As for splines, that would mean there are different clutch discs and diameter yes?

Anybody ever had seriously annoying clutch chatter and jerking on a Honda?

Dr_Snooz
10-02-2015, 07:02 PM
It is a strange design and yes, the chatter is very annoying.

senor honda
10-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Both pilot shafts on both Transmissions have 21 splines. The number of splines is not the problem.
The disc that was in the car fits a 21 spline pilot shaft.

I brought this up before while discussing auto to manual swap (do auto cars have pilot bushing in the crank was the question I think) and was told a pilot bushing the was not needed because of the design of the 5 speed input shaft bearing retention. I don't buy it though.
As for splines, that would mean there are different clutch discs and diameter yes?

Anybody ever had seriously annoying clutch chatter and jerking on a Honda?

senor honda
10-03-2015, 09:44 PM
I have a SPEC brand clutch and no problems......
I had no problems with the stock clutch.

maybe people with clutch problems/chatter have the end of the pilot shaft unsupported and it is moving around a bit....

Dr_Snooz
10-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Or they didn't get their flywheels resurfaced when they swapped to MT.