PDA

View Full Version : what about a d series swap?

Tim Yoak
01-12-2003, 03:24 PM
What about a d series swap? I just read an article in honda tuner Dec Jan 2003, and they say this is a good bet for a swap into an older non vtec honda. It's also a lot cheaper. There are a lot of parts available aftermarket for this engine including a jackson racing supercharger that is designed to bolt rightt on. everyone wants a b series, but you could get comparable horsepower and torgue with the right tuned d series. They just aren't in demand and therefor the price is cheaper. d series are on the civic ex, etc.

carotman
01-12-2003, 03:40 PM
but you could get comparable horsepower and torgue with the right tuned d series

The same goes with the "A" series. the A series is cheaper too.

And if you would want a supercharger, it's going to be expensive anyway, so just go with the B series.

Oh, and the fabrication of custom motor mounts just drains your money down the toilet...

Tim Yoak
01-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by carotman
The same goes with the "A" series. the A series is cheaper too.

And if you would want a supercharger, it's going to be expensive anyway, so just go with the B series.

Oh, and the fabrication of custom motor mounts just drains your money down the toilet... Yea but It would cost me more for the motor and the supercharger. why not get the motor cheap and then get the supercharger kit from jackson racing? Does anyone know how hard it is to fit this motor in the accord?

carotman
01-12-2003, 04:14 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87

PhydeauX
01-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Everyone always overlooks the b18a1. Gen2 integras arn't that hard to find and you're going to pay just about as much for it as a d series. There is plenty of aftermarket for the motor as well. I believe there was also a dual carb version of this motor in the integra, (thouhg I can't rember where I heard that and I have never actually seen one). Its a non vtec so I carb conversin isn't out of the question either.

andy

quagmire
01-12-2003, 07:05 PM
I saw 8 2g integras sitting around the yard last time I was at Pick a Part. And its pretty cheap for a whole motor, trans, and accesories. But a rebuild would definitely be in order.

Tim Yoak
01-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by quagmire
I saw 8 2g integras sitting around the yard last time I was at Pick a Part. And its pretty cheap for a whole motor, trans, and accesories. But a rebuild would definitely be in order. How big a swap is this one?

Neuspeed87lx
01-12-2003, 08:28 PM
ill sell you my d series :D in a few months

quagmire
01-12-2003, 08:47 PM
The 2g integras have a b18a, unless its a 92-93 GSR, which has a B17. So its the same difficulty as any other b-series swap, just with a cheaper motor. I imagine a b18a or b18b could be had from an engine rebuilder, as well.

Tim Yoak
01-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
ill sell you my d series :D in a few months What shape is it in? how much do you want etc? email me please, I'm looking for another motor possibly.

Tim Yoak
01-12-2003, 09:03 PM
OK I'm still deciding if I do the swap or build up another factory motor. I do like the idea of the swap, but after looking at the engine data tables, I like my original motor because of the torgue curve and what rpm you reach it at. I will add more after looking at them again

Neuspeed87lx
01-14-2003, 07:05 PM
it seems like they go for like 400 ebay dont they ? its in great shape... real clean ... runs strong ... its got 104k on it ... its probally not what your lookin for.. its from a dx (non vtec)

Tim Yoak
01-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
it seems like they go for like 400 ebay dont they ? its in great shape... real clean ... runs strong ... its got 104k on it ... its probally not what your lookin for.. its from a dx (non vtec) I may just go with the original . I wonder what this engine will do with a webber? I just really like the torgue at the lower rpms. I wonder why my 86 accord dx came from the factory with a b series engine, and the 87 version of the same car came withan a series? thats why I've got the different color valve cover then a lot of you guys.

Neuspeed87lx
01-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
I wonder why my 86 accord dx came from the factory with a b series engine, and the 87 version of the same car came withan a series? thats why I've got the different color valve cover then a lot of you guys.

your car has a b series ?! :eek: why would you look for a d series then ? :) is it the b20 ?!

dXsquared
01-14-2003, 07:19 PM
you dont have a Bseries motor in ur car!
if you do... its not factory
Travis

Tim Yoak
01-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
you dont have a Bseries motor in ur car!
if you do... its not factory
Travis It is a b series just an earlier one. according to my book the bs and bt are different internally then the a serie. just not by much.

PhydeauX
01-14-2003, 08:59 PM
bs and bt are what the a20a1 and a20a3 were called before honda changed the naming schemes for 87. I don' t think that the b denotes the series, the 1.8 versions in the gen2 accord and prelueds were es and et (later to be renamed a18ax).

andy

Sean
01-14-2003, 09:06 PM
what are you thinking ??? if your insdie the continet of North america your car did not come factory with a b20a. its got an a20a something ot other. you want to supercharge rif fine call jackson racing and see it they can modifiy the drive snout length of the supercharger to line up with the crank pulley on teh a20a. should be hard to do.

Tim Yoak
01-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
bs and bt are what the a20a1 and a20a3 were called before honda changed the naming schemes for 87. I don' t think that the b denotes the series, the 1.8 versions in the gen2 accord and prelueds were es and et (later to be renamed a18ax).

andy Nope,I checked my book, compression is different,cam lobe height is different, valve spects are different,valve springs are different, but thats for 86-87 on the springs maby this was an early version that was changed or something.

Sean
01-14-2003, 09:36 PM
no its a a20a. deal with it.a b16 supercharger kit could work if and i say if the drive pulley were lined up. this would require snout work on the supercharger though i cant imagine it needing alot the b16 is roughly the same overall lenght as the a20a from crank end to cankshatf end and the port layout is the same it should go.

a b16 is a destroked vtec version of the a20a. made in aluminum.

PhydeauX
01-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
Nope,I checked my book, compression is different,cam lobe height is different, valve spects are different,valve springs are different, but thats for 86-87 on the springs maby this was an early version that was changed or something.

Try putting the BS valve train in the a20 head, it'll fit just fine. Don't mix up the parts though, they don't stamp numbers on them and you wont be able to tell the diference.

andy

Tim Yoak
01-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
Try putting the BS valve train in the a20 head, it'll fit just fine. Don't mix up the parts though, they don't stamp numbers on them and you wont be able to tell the diference.

andy who knows, I thinks there were some strange little japanese men designing this engine. remember gung ho?

Sean
01-15-2003, 07:48 AM
hey tim deal mans its a A20a just get over and move forward.

Tim Yoak
01-15-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Sean
hey tim deal mans its a A20a just get over and move forward. ok, I'm going to go with my carb change, a good set of headers,maby a cam

carotman
01-15-2003, 08:07 AM
now you're talking :)

88LXi68
01-15-2003, 08:11 AM
[i] what are you thinking ??? if your insdie the continet of North america your car did not come factory with a b20a. its got an a20a something ot other. you want to supercharge rif fine call jackson racing and see it they can modifiy the drive snout length of the supercharger to line up with the crank pulley on teh a20a. should be hard to do. [/B]

Jackson Racing charger will not work, I wanted to use one for my B18A1 swap but they told me I couldnt because of the engine bay. This is because the Master Cylinder is in the way, and that is why they dont offer one for the 90-93 Integra (same problem).

Tim Yoak
01-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
Jackson Racing charger will not work, I wanted to use one for my B18A1 swap but they told me I couldnt because of the engine bay. This is because the Master Cylinder is in the way, and that is why they dont offer one for the 90-93 Integra (same problem). not a b20 a, a bs series

88LXi68
01-15-2003, 02:58 PM
whatever it is it wont work in this engine bay

Sean
01-15-2003, 03:23 PM
ive been thinking avbout checing out the jackson b16 sc kit. ill drop the tech department some mail and see wah can be worked out.