PDA

View Full Version : Old lady wants more power...

88accordlxcarb
01-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi, I am glad i found this forum for all these old Hondas!!!

I have a 1988 Honda Accord(2.0L, carb, manual 5-sp). This car does have the entire top half of the engine re-built(by me).

I have declined the idea of a turbocharger, but would like to modify the car, even if it is just to learn more about the engine, for future modifications. What does everyone recommend? I am on a budget(i mean i dont want to put something on the car that is worth more than the car).

How much would i expect to pay for a performance header, and what brands/specs should i look for? Or for a new cold-air intake and exaust, what sizes/specs/brands should i look for? Anything else for a little extra hoursepower?

I also heard something about flipping some lid on the carb for more air, is there a new pipe i will need to add to optomize the greater air flow, because of the lid?

Thank you for your contiuned support.

Jason
:super:

johndej
01-12-2003, 06:10 PM
check how too and some of the back posts, this subject has been covered many times.

maka_RTH
01-12-2003, 06:12 PM
for headers, you can eitehr get pacesetter headers for $200? and DC Sports headers for $400, i think those prices are pretty accurate, and you get what yo pay for (meaning DC Sports is worth the extra money). for exhaust, just go to a muffler shop and have them bend an exhaust for you, then have a muffler of your choice installed(most people have used the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, they said for the money it's the best performance muffler you can get). as for any intake at all, you pretty much have to have fuel injected. a few people have made themselves an intake for their carbs..., but im' not sure who. you could get yourself a weber carb for a few hundred and everyone that has gotten it have loved it. flipping you lid is in the faq, you just take the lid of your carbed airbox, and flip it upside down. hope this helps..., oh yah, you could get plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and even ignition coil. ngk is the best for plugs. and a tune-up as well.

88accordlxcarb
01-12-2003, 06:40 PM
So it wont be easy to add a cold air intake system? I was looking at some links in the How to and FAQ about making your own intake system, and i wanted to do that. Can i with this carb?

Are they any adjustments i can make to the carb that will optomize the fuel/air mixture?

Thanks

Jason

shepherd79
01-12-2003, 07:43 PM
ok,
heades: you have a choice between DC sports and Pacessetter.
Pacessetter is cheaper, but it is crapier quality. you will nottice the performance if you get headers and custom catback with performance muffler (recomend Dynomax super turbo).
you can get K&N filter and flip the lid. it will give you some performance, but not much.
the biggest performance for carb is to get vacuums removed or get weber carb. installed. if you want more info check the carb. section of this board.

smufguy
01-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Welcome aboard buddy. not to be mean, but i wish 3geez had a manual kinda stuff for new members to refer too that has links to key points about a car modifications so that new guys dont have to ask the same questions over and over again.

YK86
01-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Actually, all that needs to be said is "use the search button".

1989 DX R
01-13-2003, 04:21 AM
True. Don't hold it against him however, he just doesn't know that we would *like* people to use the search button, but he would probably use it if he had any idea what he would search for.

Think about it; did you know anything when you were still at 1 or two posts?

smufguy
01-13-2003, 07:39 AM
I agree with you DX R. but we been there and we know what we did not have. Some kind of a reference. and you, me and ppl we know were there when we Moved from AF to here and we could have done something like a welcome message that points to the FAQs Every time someone newly signs up. So that they could read thru, considering it wont hurt spending 2 minutes reading thru the faq, and then start posting something u wanna talk about. cause I think it would make everyone aware of that FAQ is not about how to use the board and regulations that go along with that, but with the main purpose of the board and that is to deal with 3g accords. Thats atleast my opinion though.

Sean
01-13-2003, 09:56 AM
when joining a website READ THE FAQ.

88accordlxcarb
01-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Hey, I didn’t mean to cause an argument here. I did read the FAQ, but still had questions.

You are right, if I knew what to search for I would. If you recommend searching for something, why don’t you try giving new members keywords to search? It is a novice idea that might actually work… Maybe the moderators should make a thread in FAQ with some old threads concerning this? Seems like a better idea than talking about how new members always ask the same questions, then just telling them to search. Instead act like members of a forum, and help where you can and always be positive.

I am a moderator on forums myself, and understand new members always asking the same old questions can get annoying, but then those forums made a beginners section with helpful links to old common posts. Plus, I remember that I was once like that when I first started looking at that particular forum.

I moderate on "ezboards" where the search function has incredible bugs, so it is not natural for me to search for anything.

Again sorry for any uproar I have caused, my apologies. I think maybe it is time for the moderators to get together and make a plan? ;) If it’s as common as I understand I don’t know why it hasn’t been done sooner.

Thanks...

Jason
:werd:

socal3rdgen
01-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 88accordlxcarb
Hey, I didn’t mean to cause an argument here. I did read the FAQ, but still had questions.

You are right, if I knew what to search for I would. If you recommend searching for something, why don’t you try giving new members keywords to search? It is a novice idea that might actually work… Maybe the moderators should make a thread in FAQ with some old threads concerning this? Seems like a better idea than talking about how new members always ask the same questions, then just telling them to search. Instead act like members of a forum, and help where you can and always be positive.

I am a moderator on forums myself, and understand new members always asking the same old questions can get annoying, but then those forums made a beginners section with helpful links to old common posts. Plus, I remember that I was once like that when I first started looking at that particular forum.

I moderate on "ezboards" where the search function has incredible bugs, so it is not natural for me to search for anything.

Again sorry for any uproar I have caused, my apologies. I think maybe it is time for the moderators to get together and make a plan? ;) If it’s as common as I understand I don’t know why it hasn’t been done sooner.

Thanks...

Jason
:werd:

those have always been my thoughts. i tried at one point to organize somethings but one on really took to it.

1989 DX R
01-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 88accordlxcarb

Don't apoligize, it's not your fault. We just get trolls that seem to be about 12 that come through here and ask dumb questions.

Welcome 3Geez! :wave:

smufguy
01-13-2003, 03:43 PM
its not your fault man. Its an issue that have not been addressed openly for a while. I was just voicing up my ideas about this issue to make 3geez easier. I wanna see some cool graphics too. :D. anyone up for it?

buzzbomber88lx
01-13-2003, 04:01 PM
GET A WEBER stock carbs suck! Thats going to be my next mod.

88accordlxcarb
01-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks everybody, i think i have some good general starting points.

In the next couple of months i might post for specific brands and installment hassles. Thanks so much!!

Jason :pimp: :wave: