PDA

View Full Version : pre amp output

89AcCOrDmike
01-12-2003, 06:07 PM
alright so i'm now runnin two rockford fosgate 12's in the back powered by half an xplod amp. But my deck just broke, some dumb ass broke the face for it, and i can't listen to my tunes ,but i was wondering if i could hook up my old cheaper deck that has no sub preamp outputs and would they still kick? just until i get my new deck, thanks!

mike:super:

87AccordsterLx
01-12-2003, 06:46 PM
no you would need to by an adapter that converts the ohms to the correct level. I think circut city has them. PM bobs89lxi and he'll explain it in more detail.

88 Accord DX
01-12-2003, 08:34 PM
what the diff between the amp being hooked up by pre amp and it being hooked up by the speaker inputs?

Bobs89LXi
01-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
no you would need to by an adapter that converts the ohms to the correct level. I think circut city has them. PM bobs89lxi and he'll explain it in more detail.

What you are referring to is an impedence matching transformer. You tie the speaker outputs to the input side and there are two RCA jacks on the output. If the head unit has only one set of speaker outputs, you can use a pair of RCA "Y" connectors to split the channels into two sets, for front and rear. You will have balance but no fader control. if you have front and rear outputs, two transformers are required.

89bumblethumper
01-12-2003, 09:35 PM
The pre-amp sends out a bass signal only and if you hook them up into the speaker inputs the head unit will play the subs as if they are just mid-range speakers...leading to 12" mid-range with little bass...you wouldn't get much

87AccordsterLx
01-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 88 Accord DX
what the diff between the amp being hooked up by pre amp and it being hooked up by the speaker inputs?

If you want to run your amp using the speaker wires you will need to do as Bob posted... the Pre-outs are designed to use RCA wires to directly connect to your amp and there is usually a 2-4 volt power option with Pre-outs...

Bobs89LXi
01-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
If you want to run your amp using the speaker wires you will need to do as Bob posted... the Pre-outs are designed to use RCA wires to directly connect to your amp and there is usually a 2-4 volt power option with Pre-outs...

Not to mention the fact that the input impedence of a typical amp is 1000 Ohms as compared to the 1-8 ohm impedence the speaker drivers are designed for. With all the loading, and lack of shielding on speaker wires, the distortion would be tremendous. There is also a distinct possibility you could blow the input stage of your amp. Use the transformer.

AccordEpicenter
01-12-2003, 11:17 PM
You MUST use a transformer specifically designed to do that. BTW using the speaker level to drive the rca converter sounds like ass. But without it youll waste that amp very quick, prolly taking out the subs too, dont risk it.

89AcCOrDmike
01-14-2003, 02:42 PM
alright nevermind i found out my deck has low rca outputs, which i guess are the same as pre amp, so thanks for all your comments

87AccordsterLx
01-14-2003, 07:27 PM
you never looked at the back from the start????

dXsquared
01-14-2003, 07:54 PM
ur amp might have SPEAKER level in

Travis