PDA

View Full Version : Tried and Failed Tranny Attempt

HondaManDan
01-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Ah, the day has come where the beast shal lie and rise no more.

My dad and I changed the tranny fluid today. We went to the local (40mins away) Honda dealer, picked up some Honda ATF-z1 and some Tranny additive, talked to the mechanic dude and got the run down. He said that we should flush it and then add in the additive with the ATF and it should clean itself out.

We got to my dad's garage (where he works) and popped her open. Drained all of the 8k old fluid out... it was merky, dark, brownish, yet not burnt (at least it didnt smell it). We then ran a half a quart of the new ATF through the system till it came out clean.

After this we plugged it up and added fluid and additive accordingly. (ha ha get it.. ACCORDingly).. After it hit the full mark I started it up with the E-brake on and my foot on the brake and just shifted through the gears.. PRND4D32 and went back and fourth allowing each to engage. Then we checked the fluid, and topped it off.

I drove it around for a bit and it seemed to have improved a little. It was smoother, and it was actually shifting through all of the gears. But dont get too excited yet kids, the story's not over.

Anyhoo, I parked the car after 15 mins of driving. I came out 3 hours later to run to the store and guess what... The problem came back in full force. The car tacked out before it would shift, it would slip when accelerating, and D4 was, yet again, non-existant.

SO.. looks like I'm out a clutch pack. Costing about 1700 to 2000 bucks. Basically the price of the car...

ANYONE WANT A 88' LX SEDAN SOLD AS IS FOR $1000 BUCKS. 102K, OVER $2200 INVESTED IN AFTERMARKET AND REPLACEMENT PARTS. MECHANICALLY LIKE NEW(EXCEPT FOR TRANNY). GOOD PAINT.

A20A1
01-12-2003, 07:30 PM
are you sure it wasn't an over tight tv cable?

shepherd79
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
why don't you get a new trany from junk yard
you can pick one up cheap.

AZmike
01-13-2003, 08:24 AM
5-speed swap?

Mantis88LX
01-13-2003, 08:28 AM
i know what your talking about, whne mine is cold it will rev to redline and still not shift, i have to sit and let it warm for a pretty good while when its freezing out side. it the summer there is no problem.

HondaManDan
01-14-2003, 04:19 PM
no problems with any of the cables... it's clutch packs that are gone, what ones and how many... i have no clue. I got a price directly from honda... it'll be anywhere from 350 to 625 bucks to replace the clutchpacks.... not as bad as the 1700 or 2200 for the whole new thing...

the thing is is that I dont want to get a junkyard tranny... my car isnt a junkyard car... so im not putting a piece of crap, been sitting out in a yard rusting for the past ten years, tranny in my car. plus with my luck i'd get it in, run it for 2k and have it give out on me. NO thankyou.

I'm going to a dealer so they can deal with her... probably a couple of clutchpacks and the filter is what i need.. then they can flush everything while theyre inside.

89AccordNate
01-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Be prepared to get raped at the dealer! They will say "it will cost this much" BUt 9 times out of 10 its always more, because they always find more to add to the bill.

A transmission is a transmission. If it works, it works. Its metal, its not going to deteriorate sitting underneath of a car.

A junkyard tranny is your best bet...your so dumb for putting a new tranny in that car..its to pricey...and with no guarantee that that small amount of parts is going to fix your car, your going to be in a world of hurt just replacing parts of it. The whole tranny needs replaced...not just parts of it....its dead and the other parts are more then likely on their last limb too. Expect to have another bill 6 months down the line of you replace just the hurt parts right now.

Nate.

AccordEpicenter
01-14-2003, 10:01 PM
yeah id agree with nate, its cheapest and easiest route to go. Ive seen a number of automatics get changed and of about 10 of them all worked but one needed a selector gear and another shifted a little funny, but all worked ok. If you want, you should get a manual and an automatic tranny or 2 and rebuild them, inspecting the clutch packs and other stuff too, id say thats the best route. If you go to the junkyard, smell the tranny dipsticks and make sure they dont smell burnt, a sure sign of a wasted tranny and clutches.