PDA

View Full Version : Question about lights Dimming/flickering

RobT5580
01-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Ok i did a recent post on the problems i have been having with my winter coupe but i was driving my nice coupe home tonight and the lights did the same thing as my other car did. The flickered a little/dimmed. It was like 23 degrees out and i had everything on Heat, rear def, stereo etc. But i have never noticed this b4 and now its both cars. My nice car was not as bad but did dim a bit and i mean more than if i had my system all the way up. I warmed the car up for 15minutes but i can only guess this was because of the cold? Weird but 2 cars at once seems odd to me. I will say my winter car was pretty bad as they flickered a lot but maybe cause it was very cold and i didnt drive it for a few days as well.

AccordEpicenter
01-12-2003, 11:41 PM
i wouldnt worry about it unless its a reacurring problem and you have trouble starting or somthing... You should see my car, it dims REALLY bad when the engine is below 1500rpms cuz i have a rewound alt to power my 1300w sound system...

RobT5580
01-13-2003, 08:22 AM
I just thought it was odd that both are doing it and i still have to fix the other car. I guess i will find out as soon as i replace the starter on my other car to see if it works. Thanks

Janiel
01-13-2003, 10:58 AM
My car has a simlar problem But the lights flicker when the car moves or when i put my radio up. So far this car has been a pain in the ass!

RobT5580
01-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Im just stumped because its both accords at the same time and my system was on but volume was almost off. The only thing i can think is everything was on and it was very cold out. On the other hand my winter accord didnt have everything on and it was worse but i still havnt worked on it so until i fix it i wont know for sure if its a bad altenator or not (its only 1yr old and very little use).

3G Jester
01-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Probably just drawing too much power for your altinator, battery, ect. to handle.......

perhaps your running to much aux. stuff..and not giving your batt. time to get a charge in.....

RobT5580
01-13-2003, 08:41 PM
My winter accord doesnt have crap in it nor did i have much running. That car started with it turning over then went dead so i figured it was the batt so put new one in and when driving lights flickered and dimmed bad and wont start now even with direct jump to starter. But when coming home last night in my nice car it did a similar dimming but not as bad. I did have a lot going and that altenator could be shot from the abuse from my stereo but i cant see both cars and one new alt going at the same time. I have to work on my winter car but cant handle this cold weather so until i suck it up and do it i wont know for sure.

Sean
01-13-2003, 09:02 PM
its begining to sound alot like battery cables, everywhere you go,lights are flickering in display and owners in dismay its sounding a lot like its that battery cable time of year.

in the style of bing crosby's in begging to look alot like christmas.

AccordEpicenter
01-13-2003, 09:20 PM
also people neglect their ground straps, they break too

3G Jester
01-13-2003, 09:25 PM
dood...sean..you got waaaaaaayyy to much free time.......

but i agree, its cables or a short somewhere in a line somewhere. my seat belt sensor...passenger seat.....shorted out my car for months. i had to drive it daily. every 15 hours at least.

Sean
01-13-2003, 10:44 PM
nah im bored and mildly intoxicated.

RobT5580
01-14-2003, 07:27 AM
I already replaced the ground and tested some others with the meter.

3G Jester
01-14-2003, 08:42 AM
ground off the engine? or the neg. terminal wire (ground) stuff?

87accordlxph
01-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Could be your alternator, battery or your terminals for all I know.
Get a charging test done.

-Mike

Sean
01-14-2003, 09:37 AM
then i would check your charging wire form teh alternator to the battery. if its not there id suspect the voltage regulator

RobT5580
01-14-2003, 11:29 AM
I changed the battery and the terminals so far. I would hope the altenator is not bad cause it is rather new from honda. I am thinking maybe the voltage regulator. But it should have started when i put a direct jump to the starter solenoid. It just clicked but i did take it out and test in on my bench and it seemed fine. Unless the motor is seized up then the starter is shot cause i jumped it with my moms car and it tested 14+ volts. Im gonna wait till its warmer next week to look at it cause it even colder today.