PDA

View Full Version : circle tail lights!

3gen"C"ivic
01-12-2003, 09:27 PM
ok i have seen "A20A1's" accord with circle tail lights but the picture is too blurry for me to see exactly how they are setup. so, if any 1 of you guys here know how to do it feel free to drop a line or if "A20A1" catches this, just let me know. i have been trying to get a respnse but ii'll use this post to get more responses! HOLLA!

Jims 86LXI HB
01-12-2003, 10:51 PM
I sent A20a1 a pm about this thread:wave:

I've alway's thought his tail light mod is the best looking mod anyone has done to a 3g.

bobafett
01-13-2003, 01:54 AM
he took the lights from a truck or something the 4" red round brake lights... and he attached them to a metal support and painted his tails black i think...

i am prolly not acurate, but thats more or less what he did!

sanjay
01-13-2003, 03:58 AM
isn't there a few 3rd gen accords with r32 tails in them?
the blue "jersey rice" accord used vinyl (i think) to cover his tails. To me they look shit. I wouldn't paint circles on my tails either...

Chubs87Accord
01-13-2003, 04:45 AM
*cough cough :stick: cough cough* :lol

RobT5580
01-13-2003, 08:31 AM
I have seen the white accord from Tantrum Racing at a show before and the lights fit very well but i dont know if they looked as good as when he had the stock ones with his wing. I thought it looked really good with it stock and the high wing that he has.

jigga225
01-13-2003, 11:08 AM
3g = square car
i like to stick wit the theme.

89accordboi
01-13-2003, 02:17 PM
yeah i dont like A20's tails at all but tahts just me, i ahvent seen it in person so i guess i really dont have a right to say, but yeah i agree with jigga, u should try and stick with the theme and do square stuff (like sq. fog lights not circles) it just makes it look crisper.

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 02:37 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/p4307f37119d456b4c518cd2d7fe528fd/fce67c7d.jpg I think the circle fogs look a lot better if you ask me just leave everything the same:smokin:

dXsquared
01-13-2003, 02:40 PM
you basically shave the tails then put Trailer lights in the place and then wire them up... i am also thinkin of doin this when the car gets painted

Travis

Nospeed
01-13-2003, 02:56 PM
i was thinking about doing the whole circle tails also, but not really replacing the lights. i was thinking of just making some kind of template to go over my lights, then just paint the outer edges of my lights so i have circular lights! what do you think of that? will that work? or will it just look ricey??

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
you basically shave the tails then put Trailer lights in the place and then wire them up... i am also thinkin of doin this when the car gets painted

Travis With wires hanging out? RED NECK LIGHTS, how about a string of beer can lights on the inside, and a pink flamingo on the hood??:lol :super: :lol

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Nospeed
i was thinking about doing the whole circle tails also, but not really replacing the lights. i was thinking of just making some kind of template to go over my lights, then just paint the outer edges of my lights so i have circular lights! what do you think of that? will that work? or will it just look ricey?? SUPER RICE MAN!!

dXsquared
01-13-2003, 04:11 PM
not with wires hanging out! i never said that! i think you need to read harder... dont just say shit for the sake of responding! you had no imput to the round taillight idea and how to do it! so take ur Greek White hatchback and drive back to your trailer park!

:flipa:

Travis

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 04:12 PM
not with wires hanging out! i never said that! i think you need to read harder... dont just say shit for the sake of responding! you had no imput to the round taillight idea and how to do it! so take ur Greek White hatchback and drive back to your trailer park!

:flipa:

Travis Hey calm down I'm just kidding for crying out loud. I'm actually working on thee idea too, when I get done I will post some pictures. If I can get the plastic outer part off, I was going to replace the backup light clear lens with round lamps, if it's behind the plastic everyone will think it's original. also I was going to cut a round hole in the turn signal lens and insert a clear section. then put in an amber bulb. it's too hard to replace the whole lens on the hatch because it has another lamp in the middle of it.

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
With wires hanging out? RED NECK LIGHTS, how about a string of beer can lights on the inside, and a pink flamingo on the hood??:lol :super: :lol It was just a joke sorry

Nospeed
01-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
SUPER RICE MAN!!

i see all kinds of cars around with the tails that are round...and they either painted the exterior so that just a round part shows, or they put some kind of material over them to make that effect. is that really ricey if you do it right?

A20A1
01-13-2003, 04:39 PM
3gen"C"ivic, sorry I took so long to get back to you.

Ok some of you were right with the way I did it up to a point. It was a low buget mod.
I bought 4 tails for about $15 - $20 each.
Measured how deep the the lights are, then measured how much room I had to mount the round lights in the stock lense.
Based on that I then traced 4 circles on the stock lense for the mounting holes (check the size of the light package as mounting hole size can vary.)
Then I used a dremel sideways cutting drill bit to remove the first 2 layers of the stock lense.
then I cut deeper to remove the black plastic housing behind the lense. (don't try and cut it all at once, and move very slowly... I've had a few bit's of the light crack off.)
Sand the entire surface of the stock lights... sand with a rougher grit where the lip of the round lights meet the stock lense.
Check for a good fit and then use epoxy to secure the round lights.
After the glue is dried you can use plastic body filler to flatten the stock lense where there are grooves and around the round lights to make it have a cleaner look.
Primer where/if needed and then paint everyting with the lenses of the round lights removed and the bulb removed and the bulb socket covered up to keep off over spray.

as for a wiring diagram... I'll have to check it out on my assembly but I think the civic will be different.

Also your ligths might not be as tall as the accords so the lip of the round lights may hang over the top or bottom edge.

...I hope i got everything
here is a pick of the assembly removed from the car.

A20A1
01-13-2003, 04:47 PM
You can see in the lower right hand corner where a big chunk of the light cracked off.. I glued it back but it still shows.

dXsquared
01-13-2003, 04:50 PM
wow... i didnt know you used the stock lights! i want to shave the lights and put the lights on... much cleaner imo...

Travis

Hatch lights arent that hard

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 04:58 PM
wow... i didnt know you used the stock lights! i want to shave the lights and put the lights on... much cleaner imo...

Travis

Hatch lights arent that hard Well I want to keep the clear plastic part over the lens

A20A1
01-13-2003, 05:07 PM
It would look nicer that way but you'll have to start cutting the trunk so the back of the lights will fit. I did think of doing it that way though... and yes shaving the trunk is the way to go. Oh and I have no reverse lights, so... yeah. :D

corner head light conversion Clear taillights tail light lights red tails clear smoked custom euro lense black tint smoke color paint painted painting amber yellow orange

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
It would look nicer that way but you'll have to start cutting the trunk so the back of the lights will fit. I did think of doing it that way though... and yes shaving the trunk is the way to go. Oh and I have no reverse lights, so... yeah. :D I saw a diamond reflector on a flashlight and I was thinking a couple of those reflectors would fit inside the lens housing. You just have to make a holder for a 12v bulb. When I do the lights they will be done right. I'm very picky. Oh and a concave lens over the reflector so the light is dispersed properly.

3gen"C"ivic
01-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
You can see in the lower right hand corner where a big chunk of the light cracked off.. I glued it back but it still shows.

thanks toeveryone who responded and big up too A20A1 for hooking me up. when you put together a wiring diagram let me know. thanks again!!! HOLLA!!!!

solbmxaccord
01-14-2003, 10:47 AM
that looks awesome...i painted my ulgy orange a long time ago and it looked good but i like yours alot i think i will start on em tomorrow...peace

A20A1
01-14-2003, 02:35 PM
I had to replace the previos trunk lid... this one needs a bit of work... thats why it ain't matching at the moment.

HondaManDan
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
quick question.... whatabout reverse lights???

87accordHB
01-15-2003, 09:10 AM
yall make it seem so easy

2Fast_Fiero
01-16-2003, 12:33 AM
If your going or wanting to shave the rear end with round lights, go to a junk yard or a Corvette parts shop, and get a set of tail lights from any corvette, and shave them into the body to make them look like they actualy belong there. Just my opinion. I've seen it on chevy trucks, newer accords, even eclipse's.

Tim Yoak
01-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by InfiniteGSX
If your going or wanting to shave the rear end with round lights, go to a junk yard or a Corvette parts shop, and get a set of tail lights from any corvette, and shave them into the body to make them look like they actualy belong there. Just my opinion. I've seen it on chevy trucks, newer accords, even eclipse's. Well I posted a thread on this but has anyone figured out a way to remove the clear plastic cover without destroying the lights?

87accordHB
01-20-2003, 07:35 PM
please let me know to..i need to..cracked one trying to remove it :)

87Hybrid
01-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Hot hot water, I boil water and puor it into the lights and wait a minuet or two and them start to pull them apart. Which lense did you crack? Bobafet has an extra one but I cannot remember which one it is.

Tim Yoak
01-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 87Hybrid
Hot hot water, I boil water and puor it into the lights and wait a minuet or two and them start to pull them apart. Which lense did you crack? Bobafet has an extra one but I cannot remember which one it is. Well I broke the outer cover and then broke the turn signal, it was a hit lens anyway so no loss

87accordHB
01-21-2003, 02:05 PM
i cracked the passenger side tail light. so once its apart..what is needed to put it back together?

Tim Yoak
01-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 87accordHB
i cracked the passenger side tail light. so once its apart..what is needed to put it back together? What part of it broke, and is it a hatch light?

sccrsteve5
12-31-2003, 01:41 PM
I wanna make my taillights too but my back right light is broken, like a big chunk of it gone. right now its all taped up and i wanna know how would i shave it if there is nothing to shave?:help:

sccrsteve5
12-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Could i do this!? Could i get clear, acrylic plexiglass and lay it over the lights. locate the brightest part(most likely right where the bulb is) and leave make a circle to the desired size and leave it clear, and then paint the rest of the plexiglass black? still DOT approved right? just gotta glue down the plexiglass and paint it...any positive feedback would help significantly

shane_lxi
12-31-2003, 08:19 PM
I was thinking of doing this mod too, only with led's, not just normal round lenses. It does look mint, but I don't know if it will be worth the trouble, or worth shattering 400 sets of tails.... :(, I think I am just going to tint them black though.

sccrsteve5
01-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I've talked to my dad and we figured that fiberglass would be too hard to bend. I am just gonna go to the junkyard and see what i can dig up. Any ideas of what i can do before i go to the junkyard?

gingerbreadman
01-04-2004, 07:21 PM
I sent A20a1 a pm about this thread:wave:

I've alway's thought his tail light mod is the best looking mod anyone has done to a 3g.

i think his mod looks cheesy, and it kills the 3g. You need to search harder if you think those tails r good.

KoNEY
01-06-2004, 04:55 PM
hey A20, is that an 88-89 grille? if so, is that all it looks like with no chrome trim??

nswst8
01-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, I must say that you have stirred the hornets nest up A20. Congrats on your tail light mod. I thought that it was intuitive. and for all the negative attitudes out there. Just remember, Opinions are like A##Holes, everyone has one & the majority of them usually stink.
Remember you are only limited by your imagination. :cheers: LOL
NSWST8