PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Accord problems - power steering and A/C repairs

princeelu
01-13-2003, 12:23 AM
New here...I was refered here from a newsgroup...but I had some questions about my mom's 1989 Accord. Haven't had the time to lift the car and see exactly what's wrong but all I know is the power steering rack is dripping and the A/C doesn't work. Two main fixes.

Steering rack problem seems pretty easy - find out what's drippin' and what's worn out buy the parts and replace. What parts am I lookin' at? Just the rack or what about the parts around it?

The more involved is the A/C. Which the main problem is I don't know what the diagnosis is and don't recall the symptoms - it's been over a year. All I know is now the A/C button doesn't turn on the A/C (haha it lights up)...probably been disconnected. Vaguely, but I could be wrong, recall something about the car stalling on startup unless the A/C was turned off/unplugged? How would I go about diagnosing the problem here and parts involved? Unfortunately I don't know what's been done to the car before, but I will get a detailed look.

Hope to get to it next weekend for diagnosis...what should I pay attn to.

Any good repair guides that can be recommended - Chiltons?? And parts? I don't mind remanned - the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance!

OldSchoolSwap
01-13-2003, 06:07 AM
The power steering usually fails due to a hose ripping open. Check on that first.

Your A/C however could be multiple issues.
Check the wire connection on the compressor, check the compressor's clutch for engagment. Check the belt.

Sounds like you need to check your car and let us know what you find.

AZmike
01-13-2003, 08:28 AM
If you find that the steering rack itself is what's leaking you can get a remanned one for $150 or so. You could buy the seal kit from NOPI.com, but I'd pay the extra $70 for a complete rack with a warranty since a sticking control valve can cause leaks too.

car6289
01-13-2003, 12:15 PM
princeelu:
I highly recommend you purchase the 1989 Honda Accord Service Manual. www.helminc.com. Present price $64.00 + S & H. It will pay for itself the first time you use it, considering present dayshop labour rates.

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
If you find that the steering rack itself is what's leaking you can get a remanned one for $150 or so. You could buy the seal kit from NOPI.com, but I'd pay the extra $70 for a complete rack with a warranty since a sticking control valve can cause leaks too. WHERE CAN YOU GET A RACK FOR THAT LITTLE? TELL METELL ME TELL ME!!!! I've been quoted 400 dollars for the parts.

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by princeelu
New here...I was refered here from a newsgroup...but I had some questions about my mom's 1989 Accord. Haven't had the time to lift the car and see exactly what's wrong but all I know is the power steering rack is dripping and the A/C doesn't work. Two main fixes.

Steering rack problem seems pretty easy - find out what's drippin' and what's worn out buy the parts and replace. What parts am I lookin' at? Just the rack or what about the parts around it?

The more involved is the A/C. Which the main problem is I don't know what the diagnosis is and don't recall the symptoms - it's been over a year. All I know is now the A/C button doesn't turn on the A/C (haha it lights up)...probably been disconnected. Vaguely, but I could be wrong, recall something about the car stalling on startup unless the A/C was turned off/unplugged? How would I go about diagnosing the problem here and parts involved? Unfortunately I don't know what's been done to the car before, but I will get a detailed look.

Hope to get to it next weekend for diagnosis...what should I pay attn to.

Any good repair guides that can be recommended - Chiltons?? And parts? I don't mind remanned - the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance! You need a factory book for the air conditioning problem, they are not covered in any aftermarket books. You need to have your system pressure tested, if the pressure drops due to a leak, the compressor or fans will not turn on. This is to keep the compressor from burning up. The wiring is pretty solid, it's probably a leak. email me with your email adress I'll give you more details. I'm a certified airconditioning tech. (in other words I can buy freon) please bee careful, the system is under a lot of pressure.

princeelu
01-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Tim Yoak
WHERE CAN YOU GET A RACK FOR THAT LITTLE? TELL METELL ME TELL ME!!!! I've been quoted 400 dollars for the parts.

http://www.hondapartstore.com

and regarding the A/C - screw it - I'll hash that when I really got some free time. I'll just work on the steering system for now.

Tim Yoak
01-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by princeelu
http://www.hondapartstore.com

and regarding the A/C - screw it - I'll hash that when I really got some free time. I'll just work on the steering system for now. I'm ok now,haha, just playing thank you.

ACCORD EX
01-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by car6289
princeelu:
I highly recommend you purchase the 1989 Honda Accord Service Manual. www.helminc.com. Present price $64.00 + S & H. It will pay for itself the first time you use it, considering present dayshop labour rates.

you can get it for free by downloading it !
check the FAQ's ! :D

MIKE

Tim Yoak
01-14-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
you can get it for free by downloading it !
check the FAQ's ! :D

MIKE yea,but they're all pictures,you know how hard that is to use while you are working on the car?:burn: But I do appreciate it being there

ACCORD EX
01-14-2003, 03:11 AM
print it out !:D

MIKE

Tim Yoak
01-14-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
print it out !:D

MIKE I'll probably just buy one

AZmike
01-14-2003, 10:46 PM
I got my rack at a local import car parts store, but I think they are available through many chains. It's a Crown reman rack. Call around and I bet you'll find one for not too much. My quote was without the $30-40 core fee.

I got the book from Helm and for most jobs it's much better than the Haynes that I also have. I would hate to have to run inside whenever I wanted to consult it. After enoungh jobs you'll probably end up spending more than $64 on paper and ink trying to print that thing out.