PDA

View Full Version : replacement of rear springs and struts selection

derolph
10-09-2015, 01:54 PM
I've been thinking about this. I believe the all coil springs and struts/shocks on the car are originals. I notice some undesired sway when driving over bumps and it seems to come from the rear end. I have the perception that the left and right rear suspension is not performing in an equal manner and that is affecting handling at certain times.

I found 404 Not Found (http://www.carid.com/1988-honda-accord-suspension-parts/moog-coil-spring-set-21684308.html;) they are "variable rate" springs. However, I have the impression that constant rate springs would be a better choice than variable rate springs. MOOG Steering & Suspension | Variable Rate Coil Springs (http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/suspension/coil-springs/variable-rate-springs) says "An ideal original equipment replacement or upgrade for vehicles that carry heavy loads. These variable rate springs change resistance as they compress and become progressively stiffer as the load increases." In other words, variable rate springs are the best type for vehicles used for towing and hauling heavy loads; apparently, they are not the best choice for cars normally used to carry passengers. I was not aware of the these two types until I started searching for springs. I see that CARiD.com only has the variable rate spring on the link stated above. Should I keep searching for a constant rate spring?

For shocks, I visited NAPA online and found NAPA AUTO PARTS (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Strut-OESpectrum-Rear/_/R-NS_71227_0505711253) The last sentence under Features and Benefits says "Dust Boot & Jounce Bumper Sold Separately." Will I need those two items?

Note: I have no desire to alter vehicle height as a result of replacing suspension parts.

Vanilla Sky
10-10-2015, 08:35 PM
The stock rear springs are progressive springs, so if you're looking for a direct replacement, what you're going to get is progressive springs.

derolph
10-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Thanks. As nearly as I can determine, progressive springs are synonymous with variable rate. Moog CC221 (http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-cc221) seems to be a good choice.

Edit: anybody know whether a Jounce Bumper is necessary to go with the shock assembly?

Dr_Snooz
10-14-2015, 06:13 PM
I would do a thorough visual inspection before spending any money. Check all the rubber bushings and look for any signs of oil leakage from the struts, usually around the top of the shock. If there is no oil leakage, you might be better off spending money elsewhere, especially on the bushings.

AccordB20A
10-15-2015, 01:32 AM
these cars are like that factory i believe very soft and boaty in the rear.

gp02a0083
10-15-2015, 09:05 AM
x2 as Snooz mentioned regarding the bushings. Check sway links and sway bar bushings. The dust boot and bumper, should be installed. The strut bellow kits they have for our cars at the local parts stores are a little short for stock height and travel but they will work for the rears. For the fronts its easier to re-use the OEM dust cover and replace the old bumper.

lostforawhile
10-15-2015, 03:16 PM
I was considering some of the off road shock dust boots, they come in a lot of different lengths and are pretty tough, something to consider for a new boot, as they are pretty universal, and stronger then the factory ones

derolph
10-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the advise and comments, everyone. I have to admit I haven't inspected carefully enough and I'll do that before spending any money.

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2015, 07:24 PM
I just remembered that if your upper control arms are stock, it might be well to replace them as a safety measure. They could be causing your symptoms and if they wear out, they can come apart and make a real mess.

gp02a0083
10-19-2015, 09:52 AM
I just remembered that if your upper control arms are stock, it might be well to replace them as a safety measure. They could be causing your symptoms and if they wear out, they can come apart and make a real mess.

not a bad idea at all to replace them, cheap enough.