PDA

View Full Version : Former Glory

James
05-22-2002, 07:11 AM
My parents bought this car new in 1986 and just last year, they gave it too me. They talk about how nice it used to run. How fast it felt, how it had nice pickup. Now it is still a great looking car, but it has lost some of its former glory. It drives fine once you get going, but when it accelerating, it doesn't feel right. If I push the peddle in, I get really weak power until I reach 3000 rpms. Then It starts to pickup (sortof). Does this sound like a dirty carb? I really like this car, I want to restore it to its better self. I have been told I should clean the carb. I talked to a mechanic and he told me to use the stuff you put in the gas tank? I have been, and when it is in, the car runs great. But once the tank of gas emptys and I refuel it, it runs like an old car again. Obviously, I could just always put carb cleaner in it, but that aint cheap. If you know what I mean. Are the spray carb cleaners better? I was told they didn't work, what do you guys think? Should I just rebuild the carb? Again, I was told that once you rebuild a carb, it doesn't run as good. Maybe this is true, but I am skeptical. My engine doesn't have that many miles on it. I it only has 124,000 miles, but it sat in our garage for 4 years, unused. I know that is not good to just let a car sit, but well, that is in teh past now. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Later,
James :(

Jdub07
05-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Get the spray carb cleaner it works great for me,...do all the noraml things to it. Oil change oil filter, fuel filters air filter, plugs and wires you know the deal. Flip the lid upside down over your filter and screw it back on...this will let more air in (flipped lid always talked about). I would flush and replace all fluids if it was sitting for four years. Before you change the fuel filters I would put a fuel additive in to flush deposits out of the system then change out the old filters. After that you may want to take it in for a full complete tune up...shit get your valves ajusted too....I'm sure there are many other things to do, but these just the things I know HOW to do. GOOD LUCK!

ACCORD EX
05-22-2002, 11:10 AM
you should also check your timing and timing belt ! that is because teh car sat there for a long time !

and yes carb cleaners make miracles :D

and Jdub07 is right about all the stuff that he suggested changing ! that's called a tune up ! :D

MIKE

James
05-22-2002, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. How hard is it to check the timing belt. In some cars it is rather easy, but after reading a repair manual, this car looks like it is a little tougher.

ACCORD EX
05-22-2002, 09:19 PM
you'll need a timing light to check your ignition timing ! :D
never did the procedure my self , but with a timing light it sounds easy ! ;)

MIKE

Dutchboy
05-25-2002, 01:01 PM
to check the belt take off the valve cover and then take off the top portion of the timing cover and voolaaa...timing belt...chech for cracks and obvious deformations and go from there,,,its more compicated to change...checking is easy

BEn

febigblockford
06-02-2002, 07:52 AM
It sounds like minor carburetor/ignition related ailments. I would make sure your ignition system is in good working order. Check your plug wires/coil wire for corrosion at the ends. (don't mess up your firing order!!) inspect the inside of your distributor cap and the rotor to see if they're corroded and in need of replacement. They're really cheap and make a large difference in how well the car runs especially in damp weather. Also, if you flip your airbox lid upside down you're an idiot. :wtf: Honda designed the damn thing to work with the lid right side up..... why mess with it? When the car was brand new it ran very nicely and the airbox lid was right side up. How does flipping it make any sense?

As far as the carburetor.... it sounds like your car has low miles..... but it is 15 years old or so. I don't think a rebuild would help. It's just one more chance for things to get screwed up. I think it probably does need to be cleaned.... but that means disassembly and taking it apart and then putting it back together RIGHT can be a challenge. Taking it to a stupid mechanic that has never worked on Hondas (carbureted type especially) would be a recipe for disaster, so watch out for idiots.

James
06-03-2002, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably take it to my local mechanic. Luckly, he only does hondas and acuras, and he owns the same car I do, just a newer year. So he should know what he is doing. The spark plugs where replaced about 1 year ago. Is that a long time for spark plugs? That was around the same time, I go it tuned up. So, I will drop it by my mechanic some time soon. Thanks again for the replies.

Later,
James

BTW, I need to post some picks of my car someday. All I need is a damn camera. :)

ACCORD EX
06-03-2002, 05:38 AM
a year isn't long depends on how often you use your car ! anyway change them with NGK's they are pretty cheap ! :D

MIKE

rocky2
06-03-2002, 06:56 PM
:pimp: Also 3-g's are prone to vacum leaks,with a mile of lines under hood.:( vacum leaks will give you the impression of a bad carb:barf: so check it out:cool:

James
06-04-2002, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the information, I will check it out.

James
06-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Ok, how should I go about checking for vacum leaks?

Thanks for your time,
James