PDA

View Full Version : JIM, Jim Jim........

goldyaccord
05-22-2002, 08:37 AM
I need some sort of a refresher course here....

What are my options for getting custom spring rates? I currently have GC's. 350lbs. is NOT goin to cut it especially at my ride height. thinking about goin up to 500-600 lbs.... I dont care about comfort... I'm trying to gradually get ready for autocrossing at Portland Int. Raceway. FUN FUN.

my Koni's on the front are blown... what's the cost to revalve them stiffer?

Brief of the plans....

Do the front two and check em out.. if statistfied then i'll do the back struts.

Springs at 500-600 lbs. if the fronts are 600, then i probly would do the back at 500.. i'm not too educated on that aspect.

much help would be appreciated...

Josh

Jims 86LXI HB
05-22-2002, 10:46 AM
500-600lbs oh yeah ride quality will certainly go down, but if you've got the desire to firm it up, hey go for it. I'll can ground-control and find out what spring options are avaible for you and how much they cost.

On your koni's, I cannot remember how much they want to revalve them. I wonder if when they revalve them if its the same as if they were to rebuild them. Since you mention that they are blown I'm worried for your sake, if they would need to rebuild them first($$) and them make you pay to revalve them($$). I'll call koni and find out for you.

I will call both place's tomarrow.

Kinda funny, but I damaged my konis to and they are fading slowly. I could pull them and turn up the rebound and bring them back, but I've got another idea. I boxed up my front Bilsteins and sent them to Bilstein yesterday to be revalved. For only $110 I'm going to see if they outperform the Koni's. If they do I'm going to get stiffer springs and buy rear Bilsteins and have them revalved to.;)

Glad to hear from you josh, how's ester? Tell I said hello.

Jim C.

86AccordLxi
05-22-2002, 04:24 PM
Josh man!! Where ya been?! We need to hook up again so I can show you my new toy (exhaust...woohoo!). Email or pm me before you come up to salem again.

alex

goldyaccord
05-23-2002, 05:50 AM
Alex?! Yeah where the hell have u beeen!

I just finally got a job in dallas. which means I can finally work on the car again..

I have been goin to the car shows at that deli place on Lancaster. Second Sat in a row. Planning on goin again. :)

I did that clear mod on my bumper plus got the Sedan bumper put on... whoo hoo. repainted it and everything. looks good. I also did the Lip mod that Digitized did and it looked good but it's all messed up now since i'm too low and it acts like a plow. so i took it off.

anyways, good to hear from ya.

Jim, PLease do let me know what's up. I'd be interested to know how those Bilstiens handle! Ester is doin great! been together for over a year now.. cant u believe it!? anyways, talk to ya later.

Josh

Jims 86LXI HB
05-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Ok, I made the calls and here goes.

If you go to ground-controls web site and look at the eibach eis spring link you will see that they offer a whole bunch of different spring rates for your ground-controls. Including the rates you thinking about, they cost $55 each per spring.

On your Koni's. I talked to gordon at Koni and he said that it cost's $100 per strut to revalve plus parts. He said that the parts should not add up to much. He confirmed that you can revalve them based on what spring rates your using. Plus if at the time your having the revalve done you want them to convert them to EXTERNAL adjustment, it would only cost you $25 per strut. And I asked me if a revalve is the same as a rebuild and he said no, extra parts would be involved, but he said it would cost much less since the strut would be torn down anyways. And one more thing that may interest you, for $65 per strut, they can shorten the body and piston. Which I would highly recommend with you running them so low.;)

goldyaccord
05-23-2002, 09:16 PM
$55 per spring?! I was thinking it would be more than that. But, hey i might order real soon. As soon as next week or so.

Alright, here's what i'm doing. The suspension is what is goin to influence me deciding to keep the car or not. Plus, i have a major rattling problem. Gotta go to the yard and find some misc screws and covers. Also, i have to pull the Rad core support out.. only costing me 260 to do it and they are putting the car on the rack. yay.

I also need some motor mounts. parts store wants 175 for all three. arrgghh!

Back brakes need to be redone.

damn. soo much to do and not enough money! but then, i just started my job so.. things will get moving again. whew.

damn. and still gotta get the koni's planned out.

anyways, Thanks for all the help Jim. It's highly appreciated!!!

Josh