PDA

View Full Version : stuttering car

advanracing62
01-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Ok so I'm driving home today and the car starts to chug.. bad... I could have gotten whiplash here.. It dies and I pull over. I try to start it again and it doesn't want to start. I wait a minute and try again. Off she goes. I floor it and rev it to about 7k. Then back onto the road, another 25 feet and she does it again. I did this all the way home... any thoughts? I changed the plugs, cap, rotor, pcv valve, fuel filters... I don't know what else... oh and she's carbed.... which is why I don't have the answer

A20A1
01-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Is your car carbureted? if so check for a stuck float and or bad needle valve... also 7k is above where the fuel cut is... so you'll have to refil the float bowl before restarting.

other causes are:
- overheating
- dirty fuel system
- vacuum leak

>Edit... did you just edit that part about your car being carbed in there... I could have sworn I didn't see it the first time. Or do i really need glasses :cool:

:)

advanracing62
01-15-2003, 09:40 AM
well now I go out to start the car, takes a bit of trying and finally she starts, then I let her idle for about 5 min and she dies.... WTF!?!?! I'm starting to hate this car!!! Should I pull the fuel tank and clean it? I saw something somewhere about removing the vaccuume lines by the carb, but there was no DIY on it...

A20A1
01-15-2003, 12:49 PM
You may have bent a valve reving to 7K...

As for the DIY on removing vacuum lines... you'll have to wait a while. I have pics on my websit, go to my keihin carb tech section and you'll see the carb striped of all but the essential. then you can add the vacuum lines you need and off you go.

It's not a good mod if you live in cold climates and/or live in an emissions regulated state.

advanracing62
01-16-2003, 04:29 PM
OK so I guess that idea is out the window.. I think it may be some sort of fuel delivery issue, I don't smell fuel in the carb at all, and I don't hear the pump kicking on. But then again I'm used to inj. cars.

shepherd79
01-16-2003, 05:02 PM
it is your fuel pump.
i will bet it is your fuel pump.