PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold

honda
10-23-2015, 05:24 AM
Hi,

I need to get the exhaust manifold on a Honda Civic LX 1997 manual repaired. I want to have some idea of what's reasonable for this type of repair so the mechanics don't overcharge me. If anyone has any estimate of the labor hours or cost for the exhaust manifold repair, or issues to be aware of in this type of repair, that would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Oldblueaccord
10-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Cast iron can be fixed but not just any mechanic shop. Your looking for a good welding/machine shop to do it.

MessyHonda
10-24-2015, 02:27 PM
for a civic you can always find aftermarket parts on your local craigslist.

honda
10-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the two replies.

I had at first thought of repair or getting a used manifold, but I was told that a used manifold probably would not be reliable to buy (like from a salvage place), because for an older car (1997), the new used manifold might have the same problems as the one you're trying to repair. I also hadn't really heard of repairing a manifold by welding--my impression was if the problem was a crack or corrosion that welding wouldn't really help, or would be unreliable.

If you have more details on experience otherwise (where a weld or used manifold worked reliably for more than 2 years) with either of the two suggestions made, I'd be interested to know.

Thank you.

honda
10-28-2015, 04:20 PM
I've gotten an estimate on the exhaust manifold, which is good. However today, while I was driving, I heard a sound, and then the check engine light came on. Got the codes checked and they were a p0155 and p0135. The technician said these are oxygen sensor codes, but he said it's not always the oxygen sensor that causes these codes to come on. For a car with a cracked exhaust manifold, does anyone know what these codes might mean, or whether they just mean I really need to get the exhaust manifold replaced?

Thank you.

Demon1024
10-28-2015, 10:26 PM
repair/replace exhaust manifold is what those codes are telling you

honda
10-30-2015, 03:30 PM
That's what I thought. To see what the car did, I reset the ecu, and the CEL came back on within a few seconds after I restarted the car. I reset the ecu twice, with the same result.

The repair place said they couldn't do a diagnostic test on the car (error codes P0155 and P0135, which are errors on sensor 1 on both Banks 1 and 2, before the catalytic converter) until after the exhaust manifold has been replaced. Is that true? Apparently these error codes can be caused by things other than the O2 sensors themselves. The car parts place that read the ecu said these errors could be caused by a needing a tuneup, fuel filter, among other things.

What I don't want to do is pay to have the manifold replaced ($550), and then have them tell me there's a problem with some other major component of the car, costing another $600. The car is a Civic LX 1997 manual. Regarding the manifold repair; one thing the mechanics said is they sometimes have issues with the bolts on the manifold. Another guy said yes that's true, but they don't usually have issues with the bolts on Hondas. Does anybody have any experience/thoughts on the manifold bolts?

Oldblueaccord
10-30-2015, 04:55 PM
The crack if bad enough is letting in air into the exhaust stream and messing with the O2 readings,if thats what those codes are related to.

Rusted or gauled bolts is part of the deal on any exhaust system.

You really cant find a new one?

EDIT:

RockAuto Parts Catalog (http://www.rockauto.com) seems to have them for 125$ for the 1.6 L.